Mind guiding me through some Q's on my interior install? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mind guiding me through some Q's on my interior install?

I have a 69 Beaumont, which has a mixed interior from a GTO and a Chevelle. I bought the car 2 years ago with the intention of replacing the interior asap as it was a bit worn. I removed the interior... and then we bought a new house which I needed to do a full reno on. 2 years later and I am FINALLY getting to put the car's interior back together. It should take long as I have most of the stuff but I can remember some of the things I thought I would from before. I was hoping to post a few simple questions here as I go along in the next few weeks. I'll keep updating questions and removing them from this initial post as I get stuff figured out. If you still see it below... I haven't gotten it figured out haha.

1) I needed to replace the dash so I removed it. When stripping it down I could have sworn that the wiper switch was held on by two bolts that came from the wood grain trim... I ordered new wood grain trim and it simply has these plastic spikes on the back... Am I wrong about how this went together?

2) All the small steel ground straps being my dash were falling apart. Anyone have a photo of where all of them go and what they attach to?

3) Anyone know where these two clips go? I could swear one was for the cig lighter but maybe not. My car as a casco lighter.

4) I initially had the block off plate in my dash and installed a tach. I haave the tach wiring done but not the lights for the tach. Anyone know where I can get single contact sockets for this? I can find 5/8th ones on summit but my caliper tells me these are 9/16th... is that even right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
And this is why we always take photos BEFORE, DURING, & AFTER disassembly even if we are going to reassemble it 10 minutes later.

You are missing the thin "hat like" nuts often used to secure fender emblems and the like. Should be able to easily get these. They come in different hole sizes based on the "spike" diameter.

Tach light socket should be a standard size. Summit list several and there shoild be one that will work - https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ulb-and-socket

The Beaumont is a Chevelle with some Pontiac parts thrown in. I think a copy of the song "Lola" by The Kinks was included in every Beaumont purchase which echoed the same confusion suggested in the song's lyrics, "Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand Why she walk like a woman and talk like a man Oh my Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola."

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand why the car is a Chevy and sold as a Pontiac Oh my Beaumont, Beau Beau Beau, Beau, Beaumont.

A car show I go to in South Carolina in the Spring each year has a 1969 SD396 Beaumont that shows up. Nice car, but it is a Chevelle. Those crazy Canadians.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
I have a 69 Beaumont, which has a mixed interior from a GTO and a Chevelle. I bought the car 2 years ago with the intention of replacing the interior asap as it was a bit worn. I removed the interior... and then we bought a new house which I needed to do a full reno on. 2 years later and I am FINALLY getting to put the car's interior back together. It should take long as I have most of the stuff but I can remember some of the things I thought I would from before. I was hoping to post a few simple questions here as I go along in the next few weeks. I'll keep updating questions and removing them from this initial post as I get stuff figured out. If you still see it below... I haven't gotten it figured out haha.

1) I needed to replace the dash so I removed it. When stripping it down I could have sworn that the wiper switch was held on by two bolts that came from the wood grain trim... I ordered new wood grain trim and it simply has these plastic spikes on the back... Am I wrong about how this went together?

2) All the small steel ground straps being my dash were falling apart. Anyone have a photo of where all of them go and what they attach to?

3) Anyone know where these two clips go? I could swear one was for the cig lighter but maybe not. My car as a casco lighter.

4) I initially had the block off plate in my dash and installed a tach. I haave the tach wiring done but not the lights for the tach. Anyone know where I can get single contact sockets for this? I can find 5/8th ones on summit but my caliper tells me these are 9/16th... is that even right?
I believe the orange on my car was the clock. If both have constant power w/o the key. It is probably orange clock and the other the lighter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
The 1969 Beaumont SD396. Simply a Chevelle with a few changes. This one was really clean and when fired up, sounded healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 1969 Beaumont SD396.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	120103   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 1969 Beaumont SD396.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	120105  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
You could also try this forum as they have some very knowledgeable folks:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
dash

1) correct they get speed nuts like the vent have on your pad ..

2) I should have a picture of my 69 dash grounds.. the one you will be missing is the one to the tach as you had a blank there b4 ... the rest all fit in one spot only because of their shape and dimentions

3) those are plug ins for the clock ,,,, anything orange is fulltime power 12v
so its power to the clock .... lighter may be a spade but usually its a round
plug in ,,,, rochester for sure is .. cascos are often threaded .. rochester a nipple

3)b the gray plug in gray is always a power wire from the,or for , a light
so thats the clock light power source there may be a trimmed gray hanging lower
one is for the heater control the other is for the radio illumination light

4) there is an optional harness for the dash tach and the same one is used for the clock
for illumination .... I may have a spare ...
I will look after the Mariners get spanked by Oakland

Scott

update with pictures ,,,, I have an original light harness but it needs a solder ,, repair

2o6 465 9165
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070325.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	120107   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070336.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	120109  

Last edited by BLK69JUDGE; 07-07-2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: update with pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in