Mystery hole on floor below convertible piston - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Mystery hole on floor below convertible piston

I am preparing my convertible for paint and have found a hold in the rear floor below the convertible piston. The hole is rather large and on both sides (left and right), so it appears to be intentional. That said, it will allow water and dirt (as well as rodents) to easily enter the car.

Should there be a plug in these? Are they for drainage ? Thanks

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole below convertible piston.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	101993  

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
I am preparing my convertible for paint and have found a hold in the rear floor below the convertible piston. The hole is rather large and on both sides (left and right), so it appears to be intentional. That said, it will allow water and dirt (as well as rodents) to easily enter the car.

Should there be a plug in these? Are they for drainage ? Thanks

Chris
My guess is that it is a drain for any hydraulic fluid that might leak from the cylinders.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I think it would be a dual purpose, IIRC the pinchweld gutter is set up to direct water to those points as well.
I don't recall plugs but there likely should be.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Any idea what book might have detailed information on the purposes and whether there should be a rubber drain plug ? Thanks

-- Chris

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage
slightly different - but maybe helpful?

I almost hesitated to post because It's not the same - but a few years later model. My thinking was that design solutions don't evolve that quickly unless the design is poor. Let's all agree the 65 is a great design. So my assumption is that what is design used my car is similar to the 65. I've been more active on this forum this winter - trying to learn like lots of us.

So I looked at photos taken early in the resto of my '68 - 24267. Mine does not have any tray shaped stampings as shown in your post. However, there ARE 4 plugged holes in the floor in the cabin side of the rear bulkhead. They are more or less equally spaced laterally along the transition of the flat floor and curved floor over the rear axle. They are light colored whiteish or cream colored and have been sealed (grey caulk) around the inside where the plug protrudes into the cabin space.

These would be under the seat - and clearly would not be left open to the elements from the factory.

I think these through holes should be plugged.

HTH

DK

<)))>><

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you." - Saint Augustine

Last edited by integrity6987; 01-16-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added comment
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrity6987 View Post
I almost hesitated to post because It's not the same - but a few years later model. My thinking was that design solutions don't evolve that quickly unless the design is poor. Let's all agree the 65 is a great design. So my assumption is that what is design used my car is similar to the 65. I've been more active on this forum this winter - trying to learn like lots of us.

So I looked at photos taken early in the resto of my '68 - 24267. Mine does not have any tray shaped stampings as shown in your post. However, there ARE 4 plugged holes in the floor in the cabin side of the rear bulkhead. They are more or less equally spaced laterally along the transition of the flat floor and curved floor over the rear axle. They are light colored whiteish or cream colored and have been sealed (grey caulk) around the inside where the plug protrudes into the cabin space.

These would be under the seat - and clearly would not be left open to the elements from the factory.

I think these through holes should be plugged.

HTH
Thanks!

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in