package tray, rear seatback, etc. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
package tray, rear seatback, etc.

Need to replace my package tray (68 GTO coupe). Please tell me this can be done without removing the rear seatback. Obviously I need to remove some of the surrounding trim and the door cards, not afraid of that. Seems like the only bit that may be caught by the seatback is the flap that droops from the package tray front... can that flap just be yanked up (and tucked back in)?

Why am I so concerned about this? Because I have a rear seatback from hell... read a billion threads on the subject, they all say just "unbolt those two bolts and yank upward." Well on my seatback, there are two giant clips on the lower corners that absolutely will not budge in any direction. Looking at the geometry I'm completely stumped as to how they could possibly be unhooked... they seem to be under extreme tension. Needless to say, no pushing, yanking, prodding, or otherwise has any effect. I'm almost tempted to take a cut-off wheel to them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_182313.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	114259  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just take a pair of water pump pliers and bend the black finger that protrudes from the wheel well. Bend it so it's perpendicular to the wheel well and just pull the seat bracket off. You might find a couple of bolts toward the center hump also they will have to be removed. Once the bottom is loose just grab the bottom with both hands and lift up to release the clips on the top backside of the seat. One other thing, that little flap is glued to the framework structure behind the seat (not to the seat but the framework behind the back of the seat.)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty7GTO View Post
Just take a pair of water pump pliers and bend the black finger that protrudes from the wheel well. Bend it so it's perpendicular to the wheel well and just pull the seat bracket off. You might find a couple of bolts toward the center hump also they will have to be removed. Once the bottom is loose just grab the bottom with both hands and lift up to release the clips on the top backside of the seat. One other thing, that little flap is glued to the framework structure behind the seat (not to the seat but the framework behind the back of the seat.)
Yikes... is bending that finger really the way it's supposed to work? Afraid it might snap off, it would be almost a full 90 degree bend. (I do have the two bolts at the bottom of the seatback also, removing them doesn't help with maneuvering the clips off the fingers, although obviously it's a prereq for removal of the seatback.) I'll have to investigate how well and even if that flap is actually glued down once I get off all the trim. Pretty sure the tray was replaced at least once in the past, and it feels like there is a little bit of play in the flap. I can pull it up at least a half-inch in the center (bowing up the tray as much as I dare), so it might not be glued. This could be the one time where I'm thankful for the laziness of the PO's restorers.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
You simply push down on the rear seat bottom section and pull forward at the same time and the cushion will pop loose. Don't bend anything! Then, there is a bolt at each side at the lower outer edge of the upper cushion. Remove those bolts, and pull UP on the rear cushion, and it will pop free of the bracket. At least this is how it works on the '64-'67 models I deal with.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

So I managed to replace the package tray without removing the rear seatback. Luckily the front flap wasn't glued down so I just yanked it up. With the new panel I tucked the foam/flap back behind the seat with a plastic trim tool, it fits snugly so no need for glue. (And of course had to also remove all surrounding trim.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in