Rear windshield question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear windshield question

I am sure this applies to other years, but on a "68" how did the water drain out from the bottom of the rear windshield channel? I noticed some leaking into my trunk and when removed the windshield trim I noticed some small rust holes. I did a temp fix with some JB weld to stop the leaking.

Are their any provisions from the factory for the water to drain out? Not that I plan on driving out in the rain but "stuff" happens and don't want water sitting there.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:40 PM
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Nope. That's why they rust out. On my '65, I had two drain tubes brazed in at the corners over 30 years ago and ran drain tubes out of the trunk. At the time, and for the next 15 years, the car was a daily driver and driven in the rain a lot. I would say nothing so drastic is needed today on our seldom driven and garaged cars. What usually would happen is that leaves, pine needles, etc. would decompose under the stainless trim, turn to soil, and hold moisture. Over time, rust through occurs. Remember, back then, these cars were expected to be in service for 6-8 years.....not 50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in