Recommendations for Trunk Pan - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Recommendations for Trunk Pan

So I have a 64 GTO and the trunk pan is toast and will need to be cut out and replaced. I am going to have to rely on replacement panels.

My questions are anyone have solid recommendations on what vendor to use, and do I do a 3 piece or 1 piece panel. I understand the 1 piece requires a lot more cutting and I don't want he body shop to cut any more than they have to. Oh I am not going to do this work.

Year One
National Parts Depot
Auto Body Specialties
Original Parts Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One piece gets my vote. The seams of the 3 piece are just more work...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:15 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
One piece requires the body to be removed from the frame. It's also harder to work. That said, no seams, so less finish work when it's in. See "Squids Fab Shop" (google it) for an in-depth documentary of trunk pan replacement using a 3 piece system. If you are not going to pull the car all the way off the frame, 3-piece is the way to go.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
First, the panel(s) you choose really depend on how infectious the rust is. Does the rust infect seams? Especially the trunk floor to wheelhouse seams, or the trunk floor to rear passenger compartment seam... Photos could help us guess what you need, but maybe you want to involve the guy who's going to be doing the work, and determine what he wants to do or is comfortable doing.

As far as a which "vendor" to buy from, I'm guessing that's probably not the question you really want an answer to: because a "vendor" sells a product made by a "manufacturer." What you probably really want to know is which "manufacturer" MAKES the best product. If I'm correct, then you'll want to look at the quality of panels from manufacturers like AutoMetal Direct (AMD), Sherman, Dii, or Golden Star.

My experience is this: IF AMD actually makes the part, it will be superior. Unfortunately AMD is not only a "Manufacturer," they also are a "vendor" of products made by other companies. I'd call AMD and ask them if the panel(s) you and your bodyman agree on are an AMD manufactured part. And keep in mind parts interchange: a trunk floor listed for a '64 Chevelle should fit just fine in your '64 GTO, but may not be listed in a "manufacturer's" or a "vendor's" catalog as being for a '64 GTO.

At that point you can think about a actual "vendor (AMD has a list of them)." Try to locate an AMD "vendor" who's located near your residence. That way you have a human contact you can deal with in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in