04' GTO 4A vs. HEMI Magnum - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
04' GTO 4A vs. HEMI Magnum

I was on my way to Victorville to do my taxes. This guy in a nice looking Black Hemi Magnum looked over right at me and got on it. He took off up the pass (15 Frwy). I eventually caught up to him due to some cars in his way.
I was behind him in the fast lane going 70mph. The car in front of him moved over and gave us some open lane fun. He got on it first and got the jump on me but I don't think that would of mattered. He pulled on me right away, but when we got closer to 100mph we started to even out. We had to let off due to other cars and I had to get off the freeway. I think I would of reeled him in and passed him but it was a DEATH. At 70mph the 4A GTO shifts into the bottom of third gear. It doesn't start really moving until 85-90mph as all the other 4A owners have probably realized by now. All I was thinking at the time was, he's lucky I'm not in my Lightning right now cuz I would of been kickin his a--!! Anyways can't win em all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 AM

another reason to buy a stick
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:45 AM

As I understand it those Hemi's are only doing about 330HP. It's no problem for us with an '05 M6. Plus they seem to be heavier than the GTO. Maybe it's time to trade it in for an '05.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
those Hemi's are only doing about 330HP
yeah, I was looking at the Rams with a hemi... they state that they are getting 350+ HP, but only 300 gets to the rear wheels... I think they're over estimating
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no rice
yeah, I was looking at the Rams with a hemi... they state that they are getting 350+ HP, but only 300 gets to the rear wheels... I think they're over estimating
have you ever dynoed a stock 04 GTO????with under 6k miles on the odometer they usually dont reach the 300 mark...... BTW when my car was stock (6 spd) I outran a friend of mine in a Hemi Magnum.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Some friends of mine own a performance and dyno shop, the HEMI pickups dyno less than 300. The drivetrain loss is horrible but with a vortec supercharger they consistantly make 387 at the rear wheel with no other mods.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

I'm assuming that Magnum was stock, except for the aftermarket wheels.
From a dig I know I would have walked him. I've raced faster cars from a dig or 10mph and pulled them. It's just the gearing of the A4, if you're gonna race someone on the top end you just have to make sure you are either going 50-60mph or 85+mph. nothing in between, at 60mph it will kick down into 2nd and knock your head back. At 70-80mph it just isn't in the ideal rev range to seriously start moving. It pulls harder from 100+ then 70+. I'm curious just how fast the 05' A4 is in this situation. I debating on trading my 04' in early for an 05' A4 but don't know if it will be worth it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 PM

the best thing to do is get an M6, in my opinion there is no other way to have these cars. before i bought mine, i was in limbo on wether i should shell out the money and put a 6 speed in my 02 Silverado. it was fast, i had alot of upgrades. i scratched that idea and bought the GTO. there is a guy where i live who has a Lighting, i think is an 03. he cant stop looking at my GTO and he said he wants to trade in his truck for one...he also owns a sweet 65 Impala, so i think he is a GM guy deep down, just got lost along the way.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 PM

I do not understand how an 04 M6 has many issues with any cars out there, About 3 weeks ago I was coming back to oklahoma from South Carolins on I 20,,,ared 04 Corvette pulle up next to me and waved,,Bang,,we were off,,,he didn't get away but I could not pass him,,we switched places and same resault,,,He could not pass me but stayed on my A**,,,we let up at 150ish each time,,,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 PM

Well, if you look at the gearing in the 04 goat, it's 3.46's. The gearing in the 04 Vette (non ZO6) are normally 3.08's. The vette will get us in the long run, and we can't really get ahead due to the GTO being heavier. If the vette had 3.46:1 ratio, we'd be watching the vette's tailights all the time.

For road racing, I'd have to agree you can't beat a manual. You can't get the auto to kick down enough in some cases...plus, autos are boring. I'll never trade my manual for an auto on a sports car.

Last edited by 79TA&04GTO; 04-02-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in