04 gto vs 05 gto - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
04 gto vs 05 gto

okso raced my friends 05 m6. it was bone stock i have the k and n intake thats it.. turns out its nowhere near a blowout. i was a a foot or two ahead of his back bumper and we raced from about 50 to 130. i was pleasantly surprised i wasnt blown away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag767
okso raced my friends 05 m6. it was bone stock i have the k and n intake thats it.. turns out its nowhere near a blowout. i was a a foot or two ahead of his back bumper and we raced from about 50 to 130. i was pleasantly surprised i wasnt blown away.
I would bet he hasn't had his car long. He most likely had the car in too high a gear or something. There's no way an 04 GTO is faster from 50 - 130mph. If you pulled on him up to 130mph, something else was going on. He must be really bad a shifting or like I said, started out in too high a gear.

An 05 dyno's a good 30 + whp more than an 04. It also weighs slightly less. Both cars have the same transmission. So drivers being equal an 05 will easily beat an 04 by several tenths in the 1/4 mile.

But anything can happen in a race. I ran 12.8 @ 105 mph in my STi with just exhaust and intake. I know several other guys with STi's that haven't run any better than mid 13s with the same mods. Its all about the driver.

I watched a guy at the track that could do any better than 14.1 @ 100 mph in an 04 GTO. While other guys in here have run 13.1 -13.4. So the driver is very important. But there's no way an 04 GTO is as fast or faster than an 05.

Everyone I've talked to that has driven both cars says there is a very noticeable difference in power between the 04 and 05s and that the 05 is much faster.

Last edited by BLACK05GTO; 03-04-2005 at 03:38 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

i didnt say i pulled on him i said i lost but by very little.. he's a good friend and and excellent driver as good as i am it was an even match up. i know it should have been worse accordingo t the numbers but thats what happened.. we did it a couple of times to makes sure it wasnt a fluke.. if u figure out the exact power your looking at 400 and 395 to around 375 and 385.. not a gigantic difference. i was just as surprised as u were i was expecting to get destroyed.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

and by the way i have driven both and the difference isnt all the noticeable u only notice it when going off the line and when topping out gears since redline is higher...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
BLACK05GTO-

I was just curious, why do you say that the '05 GTO is lighter than the '04?

I really didn't know there was a difference really, is it pretty significant?

Maybe cutting those tacky-looking holes in the hood proves as weight reduction!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:35 AM

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow
BLACK05GTO-

I was just curious, why do you say that the '05 GTO is lighter than the '04?

I really didn't know there was a difference really, is it pretty significant?

Maybe cutting those tacky-looking holes in the hood proves as weight reduction!

The 05 GTO weighs about 40 lbs less than the 04? I really don't know why. Thats really not enough of a weight saving to do much. But it does weigh slightly less. That along with the increase in HP should easily make it faster than the 04 , which it is.

But I can definately see a well driven 04 beating an 05.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 AM

well, i drove an 04 and now own an 05. from a personal, seat-of-the-pants feeling, the 05 feels like it pulls stronger. however, i don't think it's very noticeable until higher speeds (70mph+). what i've discovered in the past is that if you start with a high hp number and then add more hp, it's not really noticeable until higher speeds (i modified my 300zx twin turbo from 300hp to 396hp and couldn't tell much of a difference until i got above 80mph, and then it was a huge difference). i think that's probably why the new mustang is close to the gto in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but if you look at the 0-130mph numbers in C&D (or was it R&T?), the GTO is 9 seconds faster. it's also why some of the little cars with low hp can keep up with the GTO until about 80 or 90mph. i don't really care for stoplight-stoplight racing because lots of cars are fast off the line (especially if they're AWD) - it's more fun to see their faces when they pull alongside on the interstate and think they can keep up only to find out they're in the minor leagues.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:48 PM

who cares, the back of the 04's look so much better than an 05..I wouldn't have bought an ugly thing like that..now the 05 hood does look better IMHO..that is why I am getting one!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

haha im getting the slp hood to fix that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in