User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
04' GTO vs 87' Grand National

Hello all,

Wanted to share my encounter with everyone that I had on the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago on route to Indiana for a bachelor party tonight. I was just cruising at 75 mph when I came up on this nice looking GN for which I am a big fan of and was considering buying one before I bought my GTO last October because the few GNs that I found were ok but high on the mileage for 16k. I came up to him and he wanted to go so we gunned it from 75 mph and man! that car is quick which really didn't surprise me since the power potential stock or after market for those GNs is legendary. Except for the SLP MAF sensor and Gravana Stainless Steel cold air intake that I have on, my car is pretty much stock (getting a Flowmaster exhaust next week) but wanted to go at it anyway since the only thing I was able to detect that it had was an exhaust since it had a nice little rumble. Was I in for a surprise because before we took off, I heard his turbo spool up and it sure as hell did not sound like a stock GN turbo. It was louder than my friend's 04' Cobra supercharger which he has tuned at 16 psi. Needless to say he took off on me but I kept up with him at which we were doing 130 mph before we slowed down due to cops that we saw ahead of us. Even though I lost, it was still a good run against a legendary street machine for which I am a big fan of G-bodies since I was a kid (I own an 87' Olds 442 + an 85' Monte Carlo SS both with 400 small blocks). The GN is one of my 2 other dream cars other than my Goat and it was an honor going up against it since you don't see them on the street too much but this run also gave me an indication of what I need to do to my GTO so it can perform better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You gotta respect the old Muscle!

*edit*
though an `87 is hardly 'old' or in the 'muscle' car class
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you Rukee, you gotta respect the older muscle cause they can certainly hold their own and set the bench for all other American muscle cars to follow. 87' is not old in my opinion either considering that my other cars are from similar years.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 PM

How much you beat ya by?? Full exhaust and a tune would wake her up pretty good.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

In the end, he was up about nearly a car length on me. I already ordered my Flowmaster exhaust and will wait to do my MSD full tune up before I dyno tune it. Thanks for the tip TORNATIC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Yeah the GN's are quick. One of my repair techs has an 87 that runs high 11's
all day long. For a 3.8 V6 it's amazing quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in