05 GTO not as fast as I thought... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 GTO not as fast as I thought...

I have a silver 05 GTO Auto .. after 500 miles i started to get on it.
I"m surprised how hard it's to beat some of the cars I had raced

Turbo Diesel Truck, the one that runs 14.40 .. gets me off the line and i didn't pass him till 50 mph

Another Turbo Diesel Truck, we both punch at 45, he hangs with me till 70..sheesh

Z28 1991 245 HP 5.7L .. well he sucker punched me ... and got a 4 or 5 car head start, but i couldn't catch him at all too 100 mph .. he was stock also...

Just a little dissapointed, thought the car would be faster ...

I life in Florida, and wonder if it's a heat problem... temp gauge is always on the 1/3rd way mark or just touching it from under...
is that normal ?

What can I do for an 05 Auto to get 12.8s on the street ? I was reading the forums, but nothing really promising. Mostly 04 mods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 PM

i dont think its so much the heat issue, i live in florida as well, and heat will hurt you, not that much. wait until you break your engine in all the way. i have right about 3000 miles on mine, and it pulls real hard, everytime. good luck.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:38 PM

when the preditor comes out you can change the shift firmness in the trany that will help because it speeds up the shift. You should have been a little faster against the truck but its no suprise that he took you off the line. 500+ in torque, allison transmission and 265 or 285 tires, my parents have a F250 King Ranch and the thing is bad ass, not to mention that if you take a preditor to it you can increase it over 130 HP and TQ with the thing still sounding stock.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braman'sGTO
when the preditor comes out you can change the shift firmness in the trany that will help because it speeds up the shift. You should have been a little faster against the truck but its no suprise that he took you off the line. 500+ in torque, allison transmission and 265 or 285 tires, my parents have a F250 King Ranch and the thing is bad ass, not to mention that if you take a preditor to it you can increase it over 130 HP and TQ with the thing still sounding stock.
Once the TM is off, it will be an all new ball game. But the 'stock' 91 shouldn't have been a problem.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter
I have a silver 05 GTO Auto .. after 500 miles i started to get on it.
I"m surprised how hard it's to beat some of the cars I had raced

Turbo Diesel Truck, the one that runs 14.40 .. gets me off the line and i didn't pass him till 50 mph

Another Turbo Diesel Truck, we both punch at 45, he hangs with me till 70..sheesh

Z28 1991 245 HP 5.7L .. well he sucker punched me ... and got a 4 or 5 car head start, but i couldn't catch him at all too 100 mph .. he was stock also...

Just a little dissapointed, thought the car would be faster ...

I life in Florida, and wonder if it's a heat problem... temp gauge is always on the 1/3rd way mark or just touching it from under...
is that normal ?

What can I do for an 05 Auto to get 12.8s on the street ? I was reading the forums, but nothing really promising. Mostly 04 mods...
What Diesel Truck is this? I have the M6 and have yet to be beaten by anything with 4 wheels, and I have embarrassed 2 guys on thier Harley Davidsons with thier "women" on the back after they started talking smack at a red light and a guy on a Harley "ape-hanger". WRX, 05 Mustang GT, 3.5 TL, Mercedes C500, 350Z, S2000, Camero SS just to name the ones off the top of my head. I assume you are using Premium unleaded and are turning off the T/C by default when you buckle your seatbelt. I dont even think I would waste the gas to run against some 5000lb diesel pickup truck. If you are trying to run these guys when its 93F, you have your AC on and have been sitting in traffic, forget it. My wife's minivan has more pull in that situation but in the morning or evening its shouldnt even be a contest.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Jerry GTO
2005 Torrid Red w/ Red m6
1987 Grand National

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
What Diesel Truck is this? I have the M6 and have yet to be beaten by anything with 4 wheels, and I have embarrassed 2 guys on thier Harley Davidsons with thier "women" on the back after they started talking smack at a red light and a guy on a Harley "ape-hanger". WRX, 05 Mustang GT, 3.5 TL, Mercedes C500, 350Z, S2000, Camero SS just to name the ones off the top of my head. I assume you are using Premium unleaded and are turning off the T/C by default when you buckle your seatbelt. I dont even think I would waste the gas to run against some 5000lb diesel pickup truck. If you are trying to run these guys when its 93F, you have your AC on and have been sitting in traffic, forget it. My wife's minivan has more pull in that situation but in the morning or evening its shouldnt even be a contest.
I have the T/C.. does that make much of a difference from a roll ?
Maybe from a launch ? I just let the automatic shift, or is it optimal to manually shift it ? Those Ford Powerstroker Diesel trucks.. i see them stock run 14.4s at the track.

No AC is on, windows are down. But it's 90 out and very humid.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 PM

If my T/C senses any wheelspin in instantly dumps the throttle. After that it starts putting on the rear binders. MASSIVE performace loss. I cuss myself everytime I forget and leave it on, and try pulling into traffic quickly. The silly thing then only gradually starts adding the throttle back on (though in the rain, its my friend). Turn off the T/C and when its not blazing hot and in traffic you will SMOKE a diesel truck, guaranteed. I dont know about the auto, but in the GTO at WOT I would have to imagine the shift point are near perfect (they claim its faster than the M6).
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 AM

Quote:
If my T/C senses any wheelspin in instantly dumps the throttle. After that it starts putting on the rear binders. MASSIVE performace loss. I cuss myself everytime I forget and leave it on, and try pulling into traffic quickly. The silly thing then only gradually starts adding the throttle back on (though in the rain, its my friend). Turn off the T/C and when its not blazing hot and in traffic you will SMOKE a diesel truck, guaranteed. I dont know about the auto, but in the GTO at WOT I would have to imagine the shift point are near perfect (they claim its faster than the M6).

I think that when TC kicks in there is an indicator that comes up on the DIC. Usualy I'm too occupied driving the car that I don't get a good look at it when it happens. But when I turned off the TC for the first time I immediately noticed a big difference in acceleration, and I wasn't slipping the clutch at 4K RPM, just jumping on it hard once I'm rolling. I think the TC either senses more wheelspin than I can, or it is protecting me more than I need it to!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
There are some things I notice also down here in Florida, my car does not respond as well after sitting in traffic on a 95 degree day. Makes me sad somtimes, I even tried taking the the rubber hood plugs out to let the engine breathe. JM is right though when it is cool, like in the morning, it is a monster.
You can't say to some one out the window "I'll race you.....tomarrow morning...." When a tuner comes out for the 05 will this make things better??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in