LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 GTO vs STi - comparison

I traded in my 2004 STi for a 6 speed 2005 GTO

I thought I would share my feelings

Interior - The GTO's interior is much nicer. The seats (which are excellent), CD player, over all look, etc. The interior is just as nice as my moms
45k Lexus.

Overall driving experience. The GTO is much smoother. It handles bumps very smoothly and just drives extremely nice. It is a very comfortable car. My STi was very hard sprung. You felt every bump in the road. It also rattled and made a lot of noises. Overall diving experience is much nicer in the GTO. And the seats are just so comfortable on the GTO it really makes the car a pleasure to drive.

Performance - My STI felt faster 0-60mph (and most likey was). I think its due to the STi's very short gearing (4th gear shift by 75mph) and awd. The GTO on the other hand is a little difficult to get off the line fast. It wants to spin the tires and its extra weight takes it a second to get going. Above 80mph the GTO is just flat out faster. I would expect a 1/4 mile race to be very close. The STi would definately get the jump off the line. The GTO would most likely catch the STi at about 80-90mph. Then the GTO would just pull away hard at the end of the 1/4 mile. At speeds over 100mph the GTO will just leave a stock STi in the dust.

Handling - The GTO handles really well (suprisingly well). It holds a turn really well, stops quickly, and the stearing is tight. Overall handling is really nice. But my STi handled like a go cart. The tight supension, sticky tires, and awd, made it handle better than anything I've ever driven. Thats hard to beat. It would tear up the GTO on a tight road course. But the GTO wasn't made to race on a tight course. Its made for open roads where it wouldn't have much trouble at all putting distance on an STi.

Dislikes
The shifter is a little sloppy and the throws are very long (compared to my STi) You waste a lot of time with the shifter. A better shifter would probably shave several tenths off a 1/4 mile time.

So over all I love the car. Each car does what it was designed for really well. It all depends on what your looking for. But I'm very happy with the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:36 PM

Thats good to know. You could always slap a ripshift in their. Congrats on the new purchase. Also iv'e heard that the 05Gto would do around 176mph without the speed limiter. I would love to see the Sti do that stock.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Good to hear. I understand what you mean about the Sti being quicker, and more nimble. No argument there, it is flat out way more nimble to drive. It's just not as well mannered around town like the GTO is.

I went from a very NOT stock Honda which also handled like a go-cart. I could do anything in that car. This GTO takes some getting used to, it's a little slow on turn-in, but once the car begins to turn, and you get back in the throttle, it's just a big grin from ear to ear as you correct the oversteer.

Congrats on the purchase!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 AM

I have an AWD Talon TSI with Big 28 turbo, 3 inch downpipe and many more mods(around 260hp). It is a very fast car from 0-80 and know were you are coming from, but the "always there" power of the ls1 is definatly different from waiting till 3200 rpm to get the turbo wound up, the ls1 seems like it spends most of its time below the operating rpms of my talon. I would say that a 1/4 mile race between my 2 cars would be very close, but a rolling 60, hands down the GTO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in