05' m6 first time at the track - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05' m6 first time at the track

Took the GTO to the track saturday. Temperature started at 74 dropped to about 65 by the last run. I got 4 runs in.
My first was the worst 13.35 at 109.52mph
My last was the best 13.05 at 110.24mph
I'm cutting 2.1 to 2.2 60ft times.
I'm really afraid of getting wheel hop and breaking something. I started launching at 1500rpm's, by the last run was up to about 2000. I let the clutch out fairly quickly with almost no wheelspin and feather the gas pedal in to keep it from spinning. 4 passes that way with no wheel hop and I was very happy.
The car had 1450 miles on it so the engine is still green. I figure that 12.8 on streets will not be a problem and 12.5 to 12.6 should be possible with some good DR's once it's broken in. I was running 25 psi on the tires and they flet like they were hooking up pretty decent.
Anyone else running a stock 05'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:03 PM

Nearly broke into the 12s bone stock. Impressive on an engine that will get better with time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:57 AM

I took mine out when it had about 3K miles on it, this was my first time ever on a track (with or without my GTO) and the track I went to was at a much higher elevation than most. My fastest time was 14.5 in the quarter at 98.9 mph. I was dissapointed in myself, but I know with practice I will get much better times.

I too launched at 2000 RPM with the T/C off, and got a lot of wheel hop. One run the car hopped all through 1st. A lot of people suggested I turn the T/C off so I did, not sure if it will be better with it on. I got a total of 4 runs and now that my cherry is popped, maybe I won't be as excited and be able to concentrate on the race.

I did come get a couple of kills one was an old Roadrunner that I was intimidated by, another was a big Diesel Ford truck which was too easy. THe guy was just having fun with the truck that towed in this massive Chevelle running 10's.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btchplz
I took mine out when it had about 3K miles on it, this was my first time ever on a track (with or without my GTO) and the track I went to was at a much higher elevation than most. My fastest time was 14.5 in the quarter at 98.9 mph. I was dissapointed in myself, but I know with practice I will get much better times.

I too launched at 2000 RPM with the T/C off, and got a lot of wheel hop. One run the car hopped all through 1st. A lot of people suggested I turn the T/C off so I did, not sure if it will be better with it on. I got a total of 4 runs and now that my cherry is popped, maybe I won't be as excited and be able to concentrate on the race.

I did come get a couple of kills one was an old Roadrunner that I was intimidated by, another was a big Diesel Ford truck which was too easy. THe guy was just having fun with the truck that towed in this massive Chevelle running 10's.
If you are running at LACR, you are losing about .5 to .7 seconds. The 98.9 trap speed seems way slow.
You are right, practice will really improve things. My first trip to the track with my Z06 netted a fried clutch, hit the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, missed 2-3 shift, and wheel hopping 13.8 run. Worst part was the lady driving the rusted ratty old Chevy van with no mufflers and drag slicks ran a 12.5. With some practice and a set of 315 30 18 BFG drag radials I ended up with a 11.501 at 118 mph run.
Trick to this car seems to be to get out of the clutch fast and let the car almost bog. It's strong suit is torque, weak suit is wheel hop. When you make your 1-2 shift don't power shift it or you'll end up hopping again. The car breaths well with the massive throttle body and free exhaust, so rev it to the redline, it makes great hp up at the top. Just remember, it's like golf, if you try to kill it you'll end up with a worm burner. When you are in the staging lanes think about what you want to do. Ease the clutch off smoothly but quickly, don't let it bog but don't dive in too fast and start spinning and hopping. focus on the tach and make sure you rev it out before you shift. Shift quickly but don't mash the gas, you don't want to lose traction. Now it becomes fun, Check out the other driver, listen to the sounds of your car, and get that mental state of I'm going to beat this guy. The LS2 is a top ender, if you are anywhere close at the 1/8, you'll crush 90% of the competition.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
If you are running at LACR, you are losing about .5 to .7 seconds. The 98.9 trap speed seems way slow.
You are right, practice will really improve things. My first trip to the track with my Z06 netted a fried clutch, hit the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, missed 2-3 shift, and wheel hopping 13.8 run. Worst part was the lady driving the rusted ratty old Chevy van with no mufflers and drag slicks ran a 12.5. With some practice and a set of 315 30 18 BFG drag radials I ended up with a 11.501 at 118 mph run.
Trick to this car seems to be to get out of the clutch fast and let the car almost bog. It's strong suit is torque, weak suit is wheel hop. When you make your 1-2 shift don't power shift it or you'll end up hopping again. The car breaths well with the massive throttle body and free exhaust, so rev it to the redline, it makes great hp up at the top. Just remember, it's like golf, if you try to kill it you'll end up with a worm burner. When you are in the staging lanes think about what you want to do. Ease the clutch off smoothly but quickly, don't let it bog but don't dive in too fast and start spinning and hopping. focus on the tach and make sure you rev it out before you shift. Shift quickly but don't mash the gas, you don't want to lose traction. Now it becomes fun, Check out the other driver, listen to the sounds of your car, and get that mental state of I'm going to beat this guy. The LS2 is a top ender, if you are anywhere close at the 1/8, you'll crush 90% of the competition.
It was LACR, and you are right. I will keep practicing in order to get in the low 13's and with a few upgrades (Once they become available) I will shoot for the mid 12's. I've also learned that there is not enough track to have to shift to 4th. I guess that's a classic rookie mistake. You live and you learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in