LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 stick gto vs. 05 stick wrx sti?

05 stick gto vs. 05 stick wrx sti ????

so there is the debate up at hand.

lets compare speed, performance, handling, interior , exterior , sounds , looks , overall car........ etc

which car is better performance wise and value wise..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Performance wise? I think the Sti is the better performer... to a certain extent.

PROS:

1. It handles a lot better, though having AWD can sometimes be a nuisance.
2. It gets out of the hole pretty well (AWD is good for some things)
3. It's a little lighter.

CONS:

1. Too much attention is not a good thing... Police love to pick on boy racers.
2. Not enough grunt after it's launch
3. It's a fairly stiffly sprung car, makes for an interesting ride on rough roads.
4. It's nice, but I don't think it has the fit/finish of the GTO. It is kind of noisy, and not nearly as refined on the interior side of the car.

That's about where it ends for the STI.

For the Goat:

PROS:

1. It doesn't handle too poorly, though the power steering is slow to catch up with quick imputs.
2. It's got a lot of low end torque to pull out of corners
3. Fit/Finish is amazing. Very quiet, very smooth.
4. It gets great gas mileage on the highway (well the M6 does anyway)
5. It can do a BURNOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONS:

1. In town gas mileage sucks... (wait, maybe I should keep my foot out of it!)
2. Getting into the back seat is a ten minute process.
3. The telescopic steering wheel is cheesy, and a pain in the royal arse.
4. That's about it.

As you can tell, I was really stretching for things to say negative about the goat. Yes, I have many other things that I wish I could change on the car, but everyone is the same way. There's always SOMETHING they would change on any car.

I think the STi is a nice car, it looks pretty darn good, but it really does attract the negative attention that a person needs. The GTO is almost too modest in it's styling (which I love) and it will keep you out of trouble if you want to be.

Hell, I'm driving an '04 Yellowjacket M6 with a new Corsa exhaust system on it. I had one ******* try to race me just randomly driving around town, and I wasn't going to bother. But really, an STi will entice some, whereas the GTO most likely will not.

Here in a few minutes i'll post a couple kill stories of my own.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:28 AM

I just traded in my STi for a 05 GTO.

They are two completely different cars. The were made for completely different reasons.

The STi is an extremely agressive car. It has a very stiff suspension (you feel every bump in the road). The car handles 10x better than a GTO. Its 6 speed transmission is so closely spaced that you shift into 4th gear by 73mph. This gets tiresome very quickly. Its awd is also excellent in the rain and other weather type condition. On dry surfaces it sticks like glue. But this tight suspension can become very tiresome. On the highway it can be very uncomfortable. The car is also very loud (road noise). The interior is nice but not anywhere near as nice as the GTO's.

The GTO is a much more comfortable luxury type car. It provides a very nice smooth ride with an excellent interior. It has great power but its handling is not the best. It is a much more mature car. It doesn't scream for attention, like the STi. For a crusie on the highway a GTO is a 100% better choice. For racing around a tight track, an STi is the bester choice.

The STi is unbelieveably fast, when driven at its limits (0 - 60 mph). Above 60mph its pretty close in speed to a lot of other cars out there (350z, etc).
An STi will not keep up with an 05 GTO on the highway (stock vs stock).

So to me its pretty clear. Both cars are so different. It all depends on what your looking for in a car. One car is better at some things while the other car is better at other things.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

this is really great info thanks alot
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsOut
05 stick gto vs. 05 stick wrx sti ????

so there is the debate up at hand.

lets compare speed, performance, handling, interior , exterior , sounds , looks , overall car........ etc

which car is better performance wise and value wise..

thanks
I've seen these wrx sti's at the track, and they are quick little suckers. I would say the sti would kill an 04 goat for sure, can't say anything about the 05's yet.

Last edited by Jester; 03-16-2005 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:50 PM

This thread is almost done because these top posters pretty much covered it all. Only thing I would add is Subaru is now rated as THE manufacture to finally topple Honda in the reliability arena. Per 100 cars sold, Subaru has the lowest number of problems.

"The most reliable brand overall is now Subaru, which averages eight problems per 100," Consumer Reports said. It noted that Honda Motor Co. Ltd., long a reliability leader, now averaged nine problems per 100.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/04/pf/a...reut/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in