06 cammed/heads gto vs 05 cammed heads GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
06 cammed/heads gto vs 05 cammed heads GTO

A buddy of mine from my work has a '99 TA he's putting together and wanted to go to the cruise in with me so he could see some of the souped up 4th gen F-bodies and get some ideas on what he wanted to do with his build. We were hanging out in the parking lot for 3 hours, getting ready to go, when a guy came up to me and said, "hey, the guy over there with the silver GTO wants to race you." I met the dude a few weeks prior. He's got an '05 M6 with ported 5.3 litre heads, a big cam (don't know the specs but a good bit bigger then mine, something like 231/236 with 615 lift and 112 lsa, Pacesetter headers, and loud ass exhaust (not sure on brand).

I told the messenger to go tell him ya, but not on the bottle. So then the owner of the goat comes over and says he wants 2 passes, both from 45 mph rolls, first pass on motor, 2nd pass on bottle. I said sure. He asked me about my setup. I told him ported LS3 heads, FAST LSXR 102mm intake manifold, FAST 46 lbs. injectors/fuel rails/rail crossover, custom ground Comp cam 228/232, .595 lift, 114+2 LSA, 2500 TCI torque converter, Kooks signature series headers, Borla exhaust, K&N CAI, Grannatelli MAF. He said his HP was 430 at the wheels with no bottle through his M6 tranny. I told him I had 455 at the wheels through my A4 tranny. I knew it was going to be a dogfight.

We went on 3 honks from a 45 mph roll. I don't know what gear he chose, but I had mine in 2nd. He took a car on me immediately. The manual guys always seem to get me a little bit right off the launch, even though my car launches like a raped ape in 2nd gear. Towards the end of 2nd gear we were door to door. When the car shifted into 3rd gear in the low 90s I was pulling on him and had a full car and a half on him when my car reached the end of 3rd gear (141 mph). I got up to 155 in 4th and he was a good 2 and a half maybe 3 cars back and he shut down. I slowed up and let him get back up beside me to do it again with him on the bottle this go round.

The results were basically the same the 2nd time. He pulled me about 2 cars right off the bat but again, by 3rd gear I reeled him in and had him by 4th. We got back to the gas station and he told me his bottle wasn't acting right, something bad with a valve or something so we basically had 2 all motor runs back to back. I don't know how much of the nos found its way into the car the 2nd time around but I do know I won both times and was tickeled sh#tless.

I've been on this new build now for about 3 weeks and I am still getting used to the middle range / upper middle range pulling power of these heads and cam. I'm sure the 102mm fast manifold helps out too. I still haven't done a top speed run, kind of scared to. My buddy took a video of the speedo a couple weeks ago on the way home from a cruise in to post on here. It was on his phone and crappy resolution but it's worth looking at. Got the car up to 156.

The guy I beat tonight videoed our race. His passenger had a video camera sticking out the top crack in the window and I don't know if it will ever see youtube or not since they didn't win. My jackass passenger waved to them both times as I passed them up, so I'm sure that went over well... I forgot to ask him if he was going to post it or not. If they do and I find it, I will post a link for sure. Here's the vid from my buddies phone. I took off going from a 30 mph roll and it gets to 140 QUICK. I had to shut down at 156 because I was coming up on some cars on the bay bridge. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Great kill!!
Seems like your car could have shifted into high gear a little sooner though, no?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Right or wrong, I let the automatic do the shifting for me. I put it down in 2nd for the launch. Then as soon as we take off, bump it up 2 to drive and let the computer do its thing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 AM

I am green with jealous rage.

You could get 165-170 IMO

K&N CAI, lightly ported stock TB/INT, JBA Hpipe, Spintech Side Exh. ([email protected] r/t .8800 60' 2.06)
1/13/10- Kooks 1 3/4, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter
1/21/11 - Eibach Springs, Monroe Shocks, EBC Brakes
Soon - "Sungold" PowderCoated 17"s
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 AM

174 at 5500 rpms, that's going to be the number I'm guessing.

Nice kills. Sounds great too.

Nice job on the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in