06 GTO vs. 10 Mustang GT - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
06 GTO vs. 10 Mustang GT

Well, this is my first time posting in the "kill section", usually I like to cherish my trophy's like Dexter, with their oil on microscope slides! lol (if you have never watched Dexter, then you probably won't get that reference.)

Anyway, I was cruising home, heading north on I-75 in the Metro Detroit suburbs, in my 06' BOM M6 GTO w/Lingenfelter CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Tune.
It was fairly calm, with very little traffic. When I see this red car come flying up on my right like a bat out of hell. He blows past me and it's a red Mustang GT w/a nice exhaust note. Young guy driving. He slows down, (I was maintaining a constant speed), gets behind me and starts riding my bumper. Then he gets on my left and gets door to door with me. He starts motioning to me that he wants to run them. I laughed, I figured, I'm not even going to waste my gas on this kid. That really seemed to make him mad. lol. So, I nod my head and we slow down to around 40mph, we were the only ones around at the time. I drop it down into 3rd and we go for it. I do not remember seeing him anywhere near me by the time I hit 85mph.

I get off the freeway, I'm waiting at the light from the exit, and he pulls up next to me, rolls down his window and says, "that's not a 5.7!", To which I reply "You never asked me what was in it." Then he gave me a thumbs up and said, "I need to get one of those!"

Last edited by PontiacMike; 04-11-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I've already commented on this on LS1gto but just wanted to say LOL at all the guys over there getting butt hurt that you raced him starting in 3rd gear

I had that happen the other day. I was next to a truck and I had just shifted into 3rd around 40mph. He was on my right and I needed to get in front of him to make a right at the next light. I started to speed up a little and I guess he thought I was racing and he hit it. I could have easily downshifted to 2nd and blown around him but why? I just kicked it in the ass in 3rd. Took me a little longer to get around him (pretty quick truck) but that's what's nice about 400ft-lbs of torque. Don't always have to be in the right gear to be faster than other people.

As Carol Shelby put it... "Horse power sells cars... Torque wins races"

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44 View Post
I've already commented on this on LS1gto but just wanted to say LOL at all the guys over there getting butt hurt that you raced him starting in 3rd gear

I had that happen the other day. I was next to a truck and I had just shifted into 3rd around 40mph. He was on my right and I needed to get in front of him to make a right at the next light. I started to speed up a little and I guess he thought I was racing and he hit it. I could have easily downshifted to 2nd and blown around him but why? I just kicked it in the ass in 3rd. Took me a little longer to get around him (pretty quick truck) but that's what's nice about 400ft-lbs of torque. Don't always have to be in the right gear to be faster than other people.

As Carol Shelby put it... "Horse power sells cars... Torque wins races"
Yeah, I know a few guys around with the older Goats (64-74) and they don't post on LS1gto for obvious reasons. I just thought I would share the story on both forums.

I do think it's funny that they were upset I didn't go to second, but whatever, it was my race to win, and you are right the torque output was more than I needed. It's all about knowing what your car is capable of and what your opponent does not appear to be capable of!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Good story
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Man, I grew up in Dearborn, Michigan. I couldn't stand Mustangs. Everyone and their mother had one. This story makes me smile...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in