LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
150 top speed?

i think not! i had a fellow goater riding shot gun with a video camara. i said i will take him to 140 so he can see how it feels. well my right foot magical turn to lead and it went past 145, 150, 155, 161 and i had to let go i did not look down at the DIC but he got it on video and i was there and i saw the tack and it was only at 5500 rpm and it still had more to give. man what a machine. 2005gtols2 will put it on the fourm soon. who said it top out at 150 please. i also had a 04 mustang gt try to get some but was wasted and pulled over at the gas station and he ask me what you got in that thing

Last edited by EEZ GOAT; 09-25-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. When I recently did 155 my goal was to see if there really was a limiter at 156, 158 or whatever it's supposed to be. But unfortunately I had to slow down because I was coming up on traffic. Some say there is a limiter and some say there isn't. Like you, I guess I'm gonna have to find out on my own. If I hit 165 I guess the limiter myth will be killed. At least on my car it will.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:01 PM

EEZ GOAT where in alabama do you live? I am in Millbrook

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:01 PM

i have an 05 A4,,,my limiter is at 159 (had digital speedo on) still had pull left...i believe i was in the range of 5000 rpm's
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 PM

The factory speed limiter is set to 155 MPH on a 2004 6-speed, or at least it was on mine.

Keep in mind that the "true" speed of the car is somewhat lower than the "speedo" speed, at least comparing my SLP-programmed Predator diagnostic data with the speedo reading it is.

Since I have nowhere safe on a highway to do 155 to test my speed limiter, and I wanted to see what it felt like when it would kick-in, I reprogrammed it to kick-in at 80 MPH. (SLP's Predator lets you drop it really low or set it up as high as 170, but there is no "OFF" setting [grumble] and I was afraid to try "0").

Instead of the car feeling like it just "runs out of power" or has a "restrictor plate" installed, it instead bucks VIOLENTLY when bouncing off the speed limiter. (I reset it back to stock after this).

So I think if you did hit the limiter, you'd feel it. Not a feeling I'd like at that speed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick
The factory speed limiter is set to 155 MPH on a 2004 6-speed, or at least it was on mine.

Keep in mind that the "true" speed of the car is somewhat lower than the "speedo" speed, at least comparing my SLP-programmed Predator diagnostic data with the speedo reading it is.

Since I have nowhere safe on a highway to do 155 to test my speed limiter, and I wanted to see what it felt like when it would kick-in, I reprogrammed it to kick-in at 80 MPH. (SLP's Predator lets you drop it really low or set it up as high as 170, but there is no "OFF" setting [grumble] and I was afraid to try "0").

Instead of the car feeling like it just "runs out of power" or has a "restrictor plate" installed, it instead bucks VIOLENTLY when bouncing off the speed limiter. (I reset it back to stock after this).

So I think if you did hit the limiter, you'd feel it. Not a feeling I'd like at that speed.
The factory speed limiter is 162 MPH according to all the magizines I have read and my own to eyes . Hold it down and when you hit 162 it will shut down.And you'll feel it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 AM

Any idea what the top speed is (without governor) on an 2005 with a six speed?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippinbyu
Any idea what the top speed is (without governor) on an 2005 with a six speed?
W/O a governor you could go until you blow the motor but if I had to guess, they say the corvette goes over 177 MPH but if you ran that to the absolute max it would be 220 so I going to say 220+/- if you run it to the max and are on a somewhat flat surface.

Last edited by smkdu; 09-26-2005 at 02:16 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkdu
W/O a governor you could go until you blow the motor but if I had to guess, they say the corvette goes over 177 MPH but if you ran that to the absolute max it would be 220 so I going to say 220+/- if you run it to the max and are on a somewhat flat surface.
Well that is theoretical... so if you were in a vacuum with a constant supply of air to the engine you could hit 220ish. But in reality, I can't imagine getting over 170 in a GTO... and with the shape of the GTO, I'll bet there is alot of lift up there. But from what I hear it is alot better than F-bodies. F-bodies have windows flexing out at over 150 I've heard. Aerodynamics are crazy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:54 AM

220mph with what gearing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in