User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5.0 to the track finally

Well I finally got the car to the track. I'm ok with the results, the car has more to it, I just didn't drive it well.

Bradenton Florida. The DA was positive 180 feet. It was overcast with a high of 55 and there was high humidity.

First run

2.11 60' and a 13.052 at 112.51. The car moves real well. I was getting the same times with my 02 Z28 with 107 mph. The issue was traction.

Second run

2.08 60' and a 12.970 at 112.85 mph. It spun way too much through first. It needs a good driver mod.

Third run

2.16 60' and a 13.101 at 113.12 mph. This was my fastest run speed wise, just couldn't get traction.

Fourth and final run

2.01 60' and a 12.787 at 112.85 mph. I went real easy into the throttle and got some traction.

My first three runs I was taking the car to 1100-1300 rpms and sliding my foot off the brake and rolling into the throttle. I think what occured was the car would feel like it wasn't taking off that quick, almost bogging. I would then add power too quickly to compensate and the tires would light off. This would happen 30 or so feet into the run and near the top of first.

The last run I added power slower and more consistantly allowing the car to feel like it was bogging. It hooked better, wheelspin was still a bit of an issue.

I think if I got some sticky DR's it would take at least 3 tenths off my best run. That's bench racing though so take it for what it's worth.

I'm also sure that the cold weather with no sun and dubious track prep made traction a challenge.

I only ran two interesting cars, a 2005 C6 that was bone stock with 70,000 miles on it. He ran a 13.210 at 110 mph.

The other one was a BMW 135i with a Dinan tune and DR's. He ran a 12.816 at 110.45. He had a 1.81 60'. It was a good see saw race. He came out of the hole real strong. I caught him midway. He stopped my pull for half of what was left then I started pulling again.

There was a guy there with a 2011 6.4L Challeneger. He made two passes and quit. He couldn't get any traction and ran two mid 13's. I think his mph was in the mid 111's. It was an automatic, I think those are slower than the sticks.

Another guy had a old Ford Festiva from the early 90's with a turbo on it. He was running low 14's. He got a turbo off of a Mitsubishi car and rear mounted it. It was ugly, but he said he had less than $3000 in it. That would be tons of fun for 3 grand.

Biggest issue with the Mustang is the headrests. They angle at 45 degrees to improve whiplash protection and they make a helmet miserable. I took them out and turned them around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Not bad Ferg. Finally got some real numbers here instead of those mag numbers that some people like to quote all the time I'll be shure and let Nick know what you got I think that will pump him up. What gears you got again? I didn't know those 6.4 Challangers were out allready, wow, got to keep a look out for them.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Garage
Unreal that you busted a 12 traction limited!! Congrats. I just watched a show all about the 5.0 with VVT, interesting, and sounds like it really works.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
Not bad Ferg. Finally got some real numbers here instead of those mag numbers that some people like to quote all the time I'll be shure and let Nick know what you got I think that will pump him up. What gears you got again? I didn't know those 6.4 Challangers were out allready, wow, got to keep a look out for them.
It's an A6 so the transmission is geared different than the stick. I have 3.15 rear gears. If you do the math with the trans ratios, it comes out right between the stick with the 3.55 gears and the 3.73's like Nick has.

I didn't know the 2011 Challengers were out either. This one was white, which is a real nice color for those cars. Everyone was talking about it being a Hemi 392, so that's the 6.4L right??? I didn't get a close up look at it. Just saw it make it's passes.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
Unreal that you busted a 12 traction limited!! Congrats. I just watched a show all about the 5.0 with VVT, interesting, and sounds like it really works.
I haven't reset the trip computer for fuel mileage and its's just under 25 mpg. I drive about 75-80 percent highway, so I'm happy with that. It's at 24.8, the trip to the strip dropped it from 24.9. I'm heading to Charlotte NC this week so maybe I'll get my .1 mpg back. LOL.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just thought about it, the VVT is like a VTEC. I guess that means I can hang with the Honda crowd now. LOL

So what your telling me is this Civic has a 1.8L. Ok, cool. I have a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew in my fridge.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM

Garage
They did a whole show on it on Two Guys garage. They said it was 2 four cylinders on a common crank due to the VVT. And the accentrics on the cam ratchet up and back based on torque in the valvetrain, varying the timing. Looks like something else to break, but they said Ford picked up 100 HP in one year adding it.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
It's an A6 so the transmission is geared different than the stick. I have 3.15 rear gears. If you do the math with the trans ratios, it comes out right between the stick with the 3.55 gears and the 3.73's like Nick has.

I didn't know the 2011 Challengers were out either. This one was white, which is a real nice color for those cars. Everyone was talking about it being a Hemi 392, so that's the 6.4L right??? I didn't get a close up look at it. Just saw it make it's passes.
Yes, its 61ci=1L. 61ci x 6.4L= 390ci.
Quote:
They did a whole show on it on Two Guys garage. They said it was 2 four cylinders on a common crank due to the VVT. And the accentrics on the cam ratchet up and back based on torque in the valvetrain, varying the timing. Looks like something else to break, but they said Ford picked up 100 HP in one year adding it.
I saw that ep about the 5.0 I didn't pay much attention too it. GM has been using cam phasing for sometime and it seems like its doing well. GM cam phasers use oil pressure to phase the cam(s). I'm curious to see how Ford went about it with this ratcheting action.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Nice write-up and runs. That is stock, correct? Very strong.

Much like the new 5.0 seems to be, the autos tend to be quicker and trap higher than the manual SRT-8s.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Nice runs, glad you weren't disappointed.

I'm waiting for the Ecoboost Mustang to come out. I might DD one of those... so far I'm looking hard at the twin turbo F150, it makes it's numbers on 87 (and solidly in the 14s), so some high test and a tune might make for a wicked truck that still gets ~24ish highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in