5-2 Shift - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5-2 Shift

I've read on here that you can do a 5-2 shift at 50mph on this m6? Can these new gto's handle that kind of shift at that speed without hurting the eng/tran? Just curious to know, never had a chance to do it yet going against someone down the road!! Most mine been dead stop red lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 PM

I've done 5-2 at 45 and it was just fine. I wouldn't think there would be a problem as long as you matched the revs somewhat. I've also done 6-3 at 70 and that is just fine also.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

And you didn't hit the rev limiter? I'd be scared of overreving the motor!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM

I've done it more than once and its awesome! The first time it barked the tires while spinning up the engine and actually dragged the car down some. The next time I knew to get the engine up to speed so I mashed the go pedal when I pulled it out of 5th and when I banged it into second the tires barked again, only in the correct direction this time. The onrush of acceleration was......remarkable. I have also missed second doing this and when you hit the rev limiter, you feel like an ass.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

So what revs were you at when you dropped it into 2nd gear? Did you have to hit 3rd quick after?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 AM

If you are racing the 5-2 shift won't do you much good, you will spend a second in 2 before you have to shift to 3rd.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5ORGTO
If you are racing the 5-2 shift won't do you much good, you will spend a second in 2 before you have to shift to 3rd.
But then where's all the fun???

Speaking of rev limiters, I just pegged mine for the first time last night while playing in the rain. The LS1 is so smooth even bouncing off the rev limiter felt welcoming!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODAVE05
So what revs were you at when you dropped it into 2nd gear? Did you have to hit 3rd quick after?
Not sure exactly, very high though because you will hit the limiter very very quickly. Like C5ORGTO stated, not sure how practical it is for racing because you are only in it for a second or two. I have had my wife in the car when I have done it, and to go from lolly gagging around in 5th gear to instant, maximum acceleration is almost disorienting for the passenger. Not sure if it was the G-Force or her head that bounced off the seat that caused the disorientation but she asked me to warn her next time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 05:00 PM

Just did a little test today. 2nd is good for right around 70mph, so a 50mph 5-2 puts you right into the sweet spot for power. Just match RPM's on the downshift and get ready to bang 3rd, cause it's going to move.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Double Clutch

Double clutching is the answer to awesome downshifts, it rev matches and takes off without the tell tale bouncing of normal downshifts. I have a WS6 Formula M6 also and I've done a 6-2 double clutch downshift. On the WS6 first it good till 50, second till 75, third till 95, fourth till about 120-125 so technically the only one I can't do is a 6-1. Granted the WS6 has 3.23 gears as opposed to the GTO's 3.46 but the GTO has a 6500 redline rather than a 6000. Hell I hit almost 140 in fourth in the GTO. But practice double clutching downshifts, you'll love it when you get it right and it's safer than just normal downshifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in