User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
REX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'70 Elcamino Kill

I'm cruising down the two lane road going about 60 minding my own business and this guy in a bronze '70 Elcamino sitting at the stop sign sees me coming. He whips out in front of me so it's clear to pass and I'm just going to go around him and keep going, but oh no, he has something to prove.

We're heading up hill on a right hand sweeper and he hammers it. I've got about 10 car lengths before he runs me out of passing room, so I 5-4 downshift and hammer it and get around him before the lane ends. We catch up with the car in front of us going about 45 and there is another passing lane coming up so I get ready. He starts pulling out and I go, all of 4th, shift to 5th and he starts falling back, I go to 6th and hit about 100 and he knows he's dead as he's several car lengths behind me. I slow down and he just keeps slinking further and further back embarssed.

I don't think he realized what he was pulling out in front of

BTW the GTO's are coming out. I've seen three in the last two days. All on the I-5 corridor. An '05 YJ and a TOR today, and an '06 BOM exiting at Napavine with a female driving yesterday. Most GTO's I've seen in that short of time frame.

Also saw a sweet Marina Blue '67 Chevelle convertible going the other direction tonight, and '08 black Challenger during the day... but I was in my work truck.

Last edited by REX; 05-20-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Nice kill but - you raced him from 45mph leaving in FOURTH?! You trying to handicap yourself to make it more even? lol Those 6 speeds arent that much lower geared than my A4 from what I remember on the test drives. Unless you're running 3.90 gears.

I took out one of those Porsche SUV's the other day in the goat. Kept riding my ass in a 35mph zone. Finally punched it and put a football field between me and the 30 something yr old blonde driving it. As soon as I slowed down she was back on my bumper.... what, is the result gonna change the second time? lol Just shook my head and thought "I cant even write this up as a kill" but I guess I can piggyback on your kill.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
REX

He wasn't pulling me like he had big block tourq when he cut me off and I passed him, and 45 in 4th is about 2K RPMs so I was in a pretty sweet spot on the tourq curve for what I was doing. This guy really pissed me off trying to run me out of room! If a semi had been coming I'd have been toast. I could have down shifted one more but I didn't think I'd need it when I was alredy in front of him, and as I'd already pulled him once.

I was watching a PBS special on the history of Porche the other day and at the end they covered those Cayans, looked pretty sporty for an SUV, be careful, next time she might put a hurt on you!

Cayenne Turbo and Turbo S
The 1st generation Cayenne Turbo had 450 horsepower (340 kW), and accelerated from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 5.3 seconds. A Turbo S version was built in 2006 to compete with the Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG. The Cayenne Turbo S included a low-range case, a locking differential, and the height-adjustable, off-road suspension also standard on the regular Turbo model. It was powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 that produced 500 bhp (370 kW) and 700 NM of torque. Acceleration from 0-60 mph (96 km/h) was 5.0 seconds and the top speed was 171 miles per hour. It featured a 6-speed automatic Tiptronic transmission.

A new Turbo was revealed at the 2008 Beijing auto show. It received 50 hp (37 kW) more power, and now accelerated from 0-60mph (96 km/h) in 4.9 seconds. Also revealed with the new Turbo was a new 550 horsepower (410 kW) Turbo S. Acceleration from 0-60 mph is 4.7 seconds and has optional ceramic composite brakes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah the $150,000 Porsche would give me a helluva run. But no Cayenne Turbo S owner is going to take the chance that a punk in a GTO could get bragging rights for beating them! They might do a fly by, but thats about it. The lady trying to race had a Turbo first gen with 450hp, a mid to high 13second SUV. I'm 0-60 in the 4.5 range so getting beat off the line is not a worry I have!

It would suck to get beat by a blonde bimbo in a SUV though! Knowing my luck, she would catch it on camera, too. Ouch.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX View Post
I'm cruising down the two lane road going about 60 minding my own business and this guy in a bronze '70 Elcamino sitting at the stop sign sees me coming. He whips out in front of me so it's clear to pass and I'm just going to go around him and keep going, but oh no, he has something to prove.

We're heading up hill on a right hand sweeper and he hammers it. I've got about 10 car lengths before he runs me out of passing room, so I 5-4 downshift and hammer it and get around him before the lane ends. We catch up with the car in front of us going about 45 and there is another passing lane coming up so I get ready. He starts pulling out and I go, all of 4th, shift to 5th and he starts falling back, I go to 6th and hit about 100 and he knows he's dead as he's several car lengths behind me. I slow down and he just keeps slinking further and further back embarssed.

I don't think he realized what he was pulling out in front of

It's possible that he knew what he was pulling out on, and just wanted to see how he fared. It's possible that he ran out of rpm room at around 100 also. And it's possible that he didn't want to torture his 39 yr old motor too much at high rpms.

From 45, I can hold my own, but get me up to close to 100, and I'm gonna be letting off the fun pedal pretty quickly, as I'm getting close to top end. I'm RPM limited to not much more than 100, but I can get there pretty quickly. Not saying I can hang with an LS1 or LS2, but it's always fun to try now and then.

On the local interstate, I walked an eclipse up to about 90, then I let off, and he did a nice flyby ... I gave him thumbs up, but he didn't even look over
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
It's possible that he knew what he was pulling out on, and just wanted to see how he fared. It's possible that he ran out of rpm room at around 100 also. And it's possible that he didn't want to torture his 39 yr old motor too much at high rpms.

From 45, I can hold my own, but get me up to close to 100, and I'm gonna be letting off the fun pedal pretty quickly, as I'm getting close to top end. I'm RPM limited to not much more than 100, but I can get there pretty quickly. Not saying I can hang with an LS1 or LS2, but it's always fun to try now and then.

On the local interstate, I walked an eclipse up to about 90, then I let off, and he did a nice flyby ... I gave him thumbs up, but he didn't even look over

Possible I suppose, but a stupid place for him to try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in