almost embarrassed bad - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
almost embarrassed bad

I was coming home from work with the wife (we're on the same shift now) and were about halfway acrossed the bay and I saw a big Ford pickup truck coming up on me fast. I had the cruise on 70 and was slowly passing a car in the right hand lane when he got up behind me and the other car. I could tell he was impatient as hell about me taking my time on the pass so I took it off cruise control and dropped it down into 3rd gear (by this time my wife had already started raising hell because she knows what this means at this point).

As soon as there was enough room for the truck to get by the car behind me (while tailgating me bad) he wipped over into the right hand lane and nailed it. I nailed it. I looked up in my rearview and saw a big sick black cloud of smoke and the sound of a diesel engine that might as well been a farm tractor's or a semi's. He didn't pull on me but paced me up to around 100-110 then I started to SLOWLY pull on him, letting off at 120 (wife was in full-blown ballistic mode by now).

I let the truck get back up beside me. He and 2 other passengers were looking down at us smiling and the driver gave me a look of respect, I could see it in his eyes. It was the look of "I've slayed many a Stang and other cars out there and thought you would be next but you were just a hare faster then me." I've seen that look before.

I've read articles and know a guy back in Illinois who used a flash programmer (Diablo, Hypertech, Superchips, Bullydog, etc.) on diesel engine trucks and for some reason, these engines can get another 100 to 150 HP out of these tunes, but the gasoline versions of these tunes give you 15 to 20 HP at best and that's if you're lucky. I'm assuming that's what this guy did. Anybody know how come you can get so much more power out of a diesel tune then a gasoline engine tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Fun story, but I would'nt know much about tuning, let alone programming a truck.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 AM

it's all about emissions and longevity of drivetrain components. normally when a tuner boosts the power of the diesel the torque level jumps just as much if not more. so you might be looking at a 400 horse 850 ft-lb truck beside you. with it being less traction limited with 4 wheels that are nearly as wide as yours if not as wide as anything you can put on a goat, i'd be careful of diesel.

many years ago before diesel got all big i got walked in a 351W(5.8) f250 that was hopped up a little. there was very little strain out of that engine as he breezed by me with a driver that was laughing his head off. btw that f250 was beating up on stangs at the time too!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I was still at the dealer when the Dodge Cummings engines were first starting to be used. We got a service bulletin saying that the diesel engines in the trucks were the same engines as was in the White semi tractors with just different injectors and injector pumps running at 1/10 of their output. Some guys were going to the White dealerships, buying semi injectors and pumps and putting them into their pick-ups. One of the photos that came with the service bulletin showed a 4x4 truck with the owner standing at the left front of the truck and the frame was twisted so bad the left front wheel was like 3 1/3 feet off the ground while it was parked! We were supposed to check the #s on all the injectors and pumps on any truck that had damaged frames.
I just put an Edge programmer and Bully Dog exhaust on a buddies 2000 F250 7.3l and it claims 100HP and 200ft/lbs of torque. Needless to say my buddy is happier then heck with it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Everybody knows its all in the spark. You add more spark you get more power from a diesel.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm4life View Post
Everybody knows its all in the spark. You add more spark you get more power from a diesel.
Yeah, it's in the spark............HaHa
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM

A guy in California was driving an F-350 regular cab Dually to tow his race car to the track. While he was cooling the race car he would run his tow vehicle. He had propane or methane injection, bigger injectors, a bigger turbo and it had an adjustible tune to it.

He ran a high 10 second run and the NHRA officials went nuts because he didn't have any safety stuff on the truck. He dialed it back and ran a couple mid twelves.

I talked to him about the truck and he said it had over 1000 ft lbs of torque and near 800 hp when turned up. He guessed he could run a 12 second pass with his trailer and race car hooked up to it and it turned all the way up. I got a group of people that were willing to pay to see him do that, but the track officials wisely said no. They were pretty sure he wouldn't be able to stop the rig safely. We had bets on what he would run too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
A guy in California was driving an F-350 regular cab Dually to tow his race car to the track. While he was cooling the race car he would run his tow vehicle. He had propane or methane injection, bigger injectors, a bigger turbo and it had an adjustible tune to it.

He ran a high 10 second run and the NHRA officials went nuts because he didn't have any safety stuff on the truck. He dialed it back and ran a couple mid twelves.

I talked to him about the truck and he said it had over 1000 ft lbs of torque and near 800 hp when turned up. He guessed he could run a 12 second pass with his trailer and race car hooked up to it and it turned all the way up. I got a group of people that were willing to pay to see him do that, but the track officials wisely said no. They were pretty sure he wouldn't be able to stop the rig safely. We had bets on what he would run too.
Methane injection? I'd hate to be behind that truck when it takes off.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Sorry to bring up a few day old Thread...

Those Diesels are pretty sick when they get some work done to them. There are a few that go to BMP (Bradenton Motorsports). I dont underestimate ANY Diesel trucks any more, Like stated above one tuner gets them like 200TQ!!!! Thats Crazy!
The Truck in This Video \/ Ran a LOW13, talking to him afterwards he was upset it normally runs 12's with ease. (Cobra was 11seconds)
YouTube - kazp3r's cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in