Another Cobra another kill. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another Cobra another kill.

Out again on Rt 23 on Friday night and guy in a 2003 or 2004 Cobra comes up to me and i give the thumbs up.So at the light i said does that thing got a blower on it and he says yea and a full exhaust and tuned.He says what ya got in the Vette and i said just alittle something.He says ya want to go it and i said yea anytime and i pull off easy.The Cobra pulls up on me doing about 55 so i slam second gear and walked the cobra pretty good,this goes on a few more times and the cobra gives up and turns off the hyway. LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Nice kill.

Cobra's are tough cars and respond extremely well to minor mods.

What are your mods?

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

The Vette has Kooks LT headers, CIA, Dyno tuned,B&M shifter,Z06 sway bars, Corsa cat back,hi flow cats 357 rwhp.Thats it,runs real strong to the red line.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChappa View Post
The Vette has Kooks LT headers, CIA, Dyno tuned,B&M shifter,Z06 sway bars, Corsa cat back,hi flow cats 357 rwhp.Thats it,runs real strong to the red line.
Nice list. Your weight advantage definitely pulled you through.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The Cobra pulls up on me doing about 55 so i slam second gear and walked the cobra pretty good,this goes on a few more times and the cobra gives up and turns off the hyway. LT
Good kill! Can you elaborate? I don't understand this part. Was he out in front already and you walked him?

K&N FIPK | Borla Stinger Cat-Back | Bassani CATTED XPIPE | Fluidyne H/E | MM C/C Plates | Eibach Pro Lowering Kit | B&M STS | Whipple 2.3L | Accufab SBTB | Metco Idler Pulley | Spec Stage 2+ | DiabloSport MAFia | Ford GT Pumps
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

No he was not out in front,he was behind on the riight and i waited for him to be even with me.We were at a 55-60 roll and we both punched it and i pulled the Cobra about a car or two a few times and then he turned off the hyway.The Vette does have the weight advantage but the Cobra has more HP.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
No he was not out in front,he was behind on the riight and i waited for him to be even with me.We were at a 55-60 roll and we both punched it and i pulled the Cobra about a car or two a few times and then he turned off the hyway.The Vette does have the weight advantage but the Cobra has more HP.
As 6QTS11OZ would say, anything can happen on the street. However I'm scratching my head as to why he would race a Corvette from a roll? In my opinion he tried to race from a speed/gear he had/has no advantage in. I raced a 2008 LS2 Corvette (drop top) from a dig last summer and won (barely). I got the jump, and the race changed in his favor when we both were in 2nd as he started to walk me. I speed shifted to third and was able to hang on to my depleted lead. We shut down somewhere between the bottom of 3rd/top of 4th. At the time I was COMPLETELY stock except for a B&M short-throw shifter and after-market clutch; no tune or exhaust. But anything can happen on the street I suppose.....

K&N FIPK | Borla Stinger Cat-Back | Bassani CATTED XPIPE | Fluidyne H/E | MM C/C Plates | Eibach Pro Lowering Kit | B&M STS | Whipple 2.3L | Accufab SBTB | Metco Idler Pulley | Spec Stage 2+ | DiabloSport MAFia | Ford GT Pumps
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Venom View Post
As 6QTS11OZ would say, anything can happen on the street. However I'm scratching my head as to why he would race a Corvette from a roll? In my opinion he tried to race from a speed/gear he had/has no advantage in. I raced a 2008 LS2 Corvette (drop top) from a dig last summer and won (barely). I got the jump, and the race changed in his favor when we both were in 2nd as he started to walk me. I speed shifted to third and was able to hang on to my depleted lead. We shut down somewhere between the bottom of 3rd/top of 4th. At the time I was COMPLETELY stock except for a B&M short-throw shifter and after-market clutch; no tune or exhaust. But anything can happen on the street I suppose.....
When you're at the track you have a time slip and can compare times. On the street there is just the eyeball to reference who got a jump ETC....

I beat a 2000 WS6 Trans Am about 8 years ago with a 1998 Ford Contour SVT on the street. My Contour was a mid 14's to low 14's car and the WS6 was a mid 13's car.

I launched an instant before the light turned green. The T/A an instant after. To the casual eye it looked like a pretty fair start, but I had .2 on the light and he was .1 behind it.

He wasn't prepared for the little Contour to be as quick as it was so he didn't maximize his launch. I knew what I was up against, I went full tilt. There was another .05-.1.

I was better at shifting than him and he lost a tenth for every gear change. We only went to about 75 at which point I knew I was going to lose my advantages so I let off. With about a half second of almost invisible advantage the T/A never gained the lead and it looked like a fair race.

On the street anything can happen.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
When you're at the track you have a time slip and can compare times. On the street there is just the eyeball to reference who got a jump ETC....

I beat a 2000 WS6 Trans Am about 8 years ago with a 1998 Ford Contour SVT on the street. My Contour was a mid 14's to low 14's car and the WS6 was a mid 13's car.

I launched an instant before the light turned green. The T/A an instant after. To the casual eye it looked like a pretty fair start, but I had .2 on the light and he was .1 behind it.

He wasn't prepared for the little Contour to be as quick as it was so he didn't maximize his launch. I knew what I was up against, I went full tilt. There was another .05-.1.

I was better at shifting than him and he lost a tenth for every gear change. We only went to about 75 at which point I knew I was going to lose my advantages so I let off. With about a half second of almost invisible advantage the T/A never gained the lead and it looked like a fair race.

On the street anything can happen.
Fergy, I knew if I hung my nuts out there, you'd be the first to bite

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Venom View Post
'08 Vettes, non Z06, have a LS3 not a LS2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in