Another Track day... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another Track day...

13.08 at 108! Still 100% stock to the paper filter and all I did was remove the spare and tools. No powershifting, ~2700 launch. That was in the "heat" of the day (high 70's). It got a little chilly (high 40's) as the sun went down, but all it really did was get me to trap a little higher but hook alot worse. I was very happy with the run though. It was my first of the day.

I had a 2.01 60'. I gave up on selling the 18's (one is scratched now) so I did some decent burnouts (pulled up a little smoke). Rear pressure was at 32psi. I was convinced I could get a 12 today, but it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe next time.

Other bests from the day include my friend Derek in his E55 AMG (fastest in the country as far as we know) at 10.955 at 131, and his 2006 M5 at some weak slow time. Apparently it won't allow you to use launch control, M mode, or turn the traction control off before 3000 miles, or something like that, so it only went low 13's. My friend Chad was up there with his '05 GTO and went 12.4x at like 116 IIRC (heads, cam, nitrous. I don't know if he was on the nitrous or not though). A couple of F-body guy's got new bests, but nothing spectacular. It was a blast as always though, except for the incredibly long lines for the staging lanes. We brought 40 cars with us, and another big group showed up, PLUS the regulars, so it was PACKED! I only got 3 runs in 5 hours, it was bad. However it did give me plenty of cool down time.

Last edited by slonlo_350; 10-31-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:29 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
try pulling out the passenger and rear seats, along with the spare and tools, and slap on a set of drag radials and you got your 12.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Nah, gonna do it full weight (well almost) on stock 235's. Plus the rear seats weigh almost nothing and the passenger seat is just a huge pain in the ass. The spare is quick and easy to take out, so I always pull it, but I like having full interior.

But next time it will go at least one 12 for sure. It's only gonna get cooler, and I can drop the pressure in the rear tires just a little more. Also, there were alot of people at the track so I can get more runs and practice next time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
big_mike

I used to be just like you...wanted to do everything full interior, stock tires, just to say I ran a 12 in almost factory condition.

THEN, it happened.

some guy comes up, 30 day tags, street tires, no changes with 20 miles on the car and ran a [email protected] At that point I started using drag radials, removing weight, working on the suspension to hook harder, etc. You see, no matter what you are trying to do, somebody else has already done it. Hell, drag radials are a nominal expense for the gain you can get.

All that being said, the time you are getting in a 6-speed on a stock tire is pretty impressive for a race weight of almost 4k.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Oh I don't care about being the first or the best, I just wanna do it for me. And technically I could have still had my temp tag. Its good for like another week. Woulda looked a little cooler in the video hahaha. Plus that run was only my 4th attempt at launching manual car at a track. I am still following GMHTP's example with the 2500-2750 "easy" dump. Maybe I'll experiment a little bit when we rent the track in January. I'll definitely have mods then though, so I might have to hit up the last T&T on the 20th and try for an all stock 12.

I'll never take out interior though, unless its coming out for good. The back seat doesn't weigh enough to make a difference anyway. I'll get some DR's eventually. I definitely want some drag springs and then go bushing crazy on that IRS. Wheel hop sucks!! First is tune and shifter though, even though I personally think I am pretty good with the stock shifter.

And here is my vid!
Me vs. my friend's Auto TT Supra
He had a better time but I beat him to the line hahaha. But as you can see from the trap, he was running me down QUICK! But he ran like a 12.6 later that night.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonlo_350
Oh I don't care about being the first or the best, I just wanna do it for me. And technically I could have still had my temp tag. Its good for like another week. Woulda looked a little cooler in the video hahaha. Plus that run was only my 4th attempt at launching manual car at a track. I am still following GMHTP's example with the 2500-2750 "easy" dump. Maybe I'll experiment a little bit when we rent the track in January. I'll definitely have mods then though, so I might have to hit up the last T&T on the 20th and try for an all stock 12.

I'll never take out interior though, unless its coming out for good. The back seat doesn't weigh enough to make a difference anyway. I'll get some DR's eventually. I definitely want some drag springs and then go bushing crazy on that IRS. Wheel hop sucks!! First is tune and shifter though, even though I personally think I am pretty good with the stock shifter.

And here is my vid!
Me vs. my friend's Auto TT Supra
He had a better time but I beat him to the line hahaha. But as you can see from the trap, he was running me down QUICK! But he ran like a 12.6 later that night.
Some people just take this racing stuff a little too serious. If you're racing for money, pink slips or whatever, yeah I can see dumping as much weight and adding as much power as possible for every advantage. But most of the times when we hit the track it's just for the fun of it all and for achieving personal bests. And to drive as fast as we can without the possibility of getting a speeding ticket

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 AM
big_mike

thats my point too, to have fun, and achieve the best time YOU can driving YOUR vehicle. Its been widely known that its easier to haul around 100 pounds instead of 1000. So, the lighter you are, the faster you are. Maybe I am too hardcore, maybe not, but if I can drop 500lbs on track day, you best believe I am gonna do it! But then put it all back before heading back home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in