Any good racing tips? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any good racing tips?

So I'm headed home from work today and meet a Lexus GS 4?? at a stoplight. I didn't get a good look at the model number. I pulled up in the right lane, its clear ahead. As the light turned green, he took off.... so I did too. 1st, no problem, 2nd, no problem.... finding 3rd was a bit tricky (by this time I'm approaching triple digit speeds head towards the open country). I went to go back to 4th and hit 2nd... I'm thinking WTF. That killed my momentum and he got around me. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid, but I've not really ever seriously raced before. Aside from going with the B&M shifter to clean up the shifts, what other tips do you all have for racing???

On a side note, decided to try a powerbrake (my 6m) and it did great until I started hitting yellow-line and shifted to 2nd. The back end got REALLY squirley. How do you keep things going straight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:09 PM

I have only one.............any type of STREET racing is not only foolish and stupid, it's illegal and you should not only "feel" stupid..............
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM

• Find A Track
  • Get In Front
  • Don't Let Anyone Pass You

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goat
So I'm headed home from work today and meet a Lexus GS 4?? at a stoplight. I didn't get a good look at the model number. I pulled up in the right lane, its clear ahead. As the light turned green, he took off.... so I did too. 1st, no problem, 2nd, no problem.... finding 3rd was a bit tricky (by this time I'm approaching triple digit speeds head towards the open country). I went to go back to 4th and hit 2nd... I'm thinking WTF. That killed my momentum and he got around me. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid, but I've not really ever seriously raced before. Aside from going with the B&M shifter to clean up the shifts, what other tips do you all have for racing???

On a side note, decided to try a powerbrake (my 6m) and it did great until I started hitting yellow-line and shifted to 2nd. The back end got REALLY squirley. How do you keep things going straight?
You dont! Least I havnt figured it out. I have done the 4th to 2nd thing too, pretty startling.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnamvet
I have only one.............any type of STREET racing is not only foolish and stupid, it's illegal and you should not only "feel" stupid..............
Why don't you chill? We all know that street racing is illegal and unsafe but we all have done it at some time. I know I'm guilty. Knowing when to let up is the key to making it a little bit safer. If two people decide to play around without putting anyone else in harms way besides themselves, then so be it. If they do put others in harms way then it truly is stupid. Please tell us how you were so disciplined and law abiding not to street race .

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 09-15-2005 at 07:51 AM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnamvet
Thanks, gramps.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

It was the last stoplight before going out of town. There is a two lane stretch for about a mile then the right lane ends. I'm not going to cut someone off or be so agressive to get anyone hurt. The only other cars in sight were behind me. I do share your sentiment on racing when it isn't prudent. If they had a legal place to do it or a track I'd be there every weekend, but they don't. (There is one about an hour away, but it's ALWAYS packed..and kinda $h!tty.)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:49 AM

Tips on racing? Wellll..

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing, its life...anything that happens before or after...is just waiting."
-Le Mans
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 05:54 PM

I kept having problems on the 2-3 shift with the stock shifter. I got a B&M and now once going from 3-4 and once going from 5-4 have hit 2nd. The 5-4 was done at a high enough rpm that I was afraid I might have done damage, but it seems ok. I guess you just need to move the shifter a little slower with the T-56.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:01 PM

My question is, if you're racing and going to 4th, you're around 90 or so. So if you go to 2nd, wouldn't the engine go to about 12,000 rpms and blow up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in