Anyone taken an 05 to the strip yet? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone taken an 05 to the strip yet?

I only have about 200 miles on my car so far but I'm already getting the urge to hit the drag strip to see what it can really do. Has anybody had an 05 at the track yet?

As soon as I get a couple hundred more miles I'll be going....that is, if it ever stops raining here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY05GTO
I only have about 200 miles on my car so far but I'm already getting the urge to hit the drag strip to see what it can really do. Has anybody had an 05 at the track yet?

As soon as I get a couple hundred more miles I'll be going....that is, if it ever stops raining here.

Let me know how you do. I will be taking mine to the track as soon as I get a little more seat time. I'm still trying to figure out the best launch technique. I've been practicing on a deserted steet near my house. I've been trying to get off the line as fast as possible without smoking the tires. I'm hoping the track is sticky enough to hold a pretty decent launch. Coming from driving an STi, its very different.

But I hope to run mine with in the next month or so.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 08:46 PM

I posted me times in this thread.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=1643

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie1
I posted me times in this thread.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=1643
Those are pretty good times. One thing is the 1/8 mile is really not that good for a GTO. My GTO really doesn't start to pull hard until 80+mph. That sucks for running the 1/8 mile. So 1/8 mile times really don't show the GTO true potential. I'm more interested to see some 1/4 mile times and trap speeds.

To give you an idea I was running 8.20s - 8.30s in my STi. My all time best was 8.18 . My STi was perfect for racing the 1/8 mile because of its 1.66 - 1.79 sec 60' times and very short gearing. But my STi slowed down significantly the second half of a full 1/4 mile. The GTO is the opposite. It pulls hard the second half of a 1/4 mile. So I'm not all that interested in running my GTO in the 1/8 mile. (and I have an 1/8 mile track near my house)

Unfortunately, I have a 250 mile round trip to the nearest 1/4 mile. That sucks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:01 PM

Over in another forum a guy posted his time slip from a 6 speed 05 GTO. His only mod was 275/40/17 Nitto Drag radials.

He ran 12.9 @ 107 mph. This was also done at 3000' elevation.

I went to the track in my 05 and only made 3 runs and went home. I had terrible traction problems with wheel hop. I could only manage high 13s because I was spinning all the way through first gear.

I just put some Nitto's on my 05 and man they are sweet. My next trip to the track will be much better.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Same guy ran
12.8 @ 107 mph in his 05. He also ran a 12.9 @ 108 mph that same day. Not bad for $300 in mods (Nitto's)

I also talked to my mechanic yesterday about his son's O5 GTO. He told me it is bone stock and he has been running high 12s in it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Some people have this idea that drag racing is easy because all you have to do is mash it and go straight. It is much more complicated than that. If your car isn't performing the way you think it should maybe you ought to look at who is behind the wheel. There have been several guys on the ls1tech forum that have put their completely stock 04' GTO m6's in the 13.2X range. There's no reason an LS2 should not see 12's given a decent track and driver IMO. But those nittos sure do the trick if you suck at launching the car. So don't judge the car. Keep practicing and those engines will really come online after a few thousand miles too!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 05:43 PM

Went to the strip Friday night, best time was 13.714.
I only have 507 miles on the car, so its not broke in yet. It was my first time to drag race so I had to learn how to launch it. After 3 runs I kinda got the hang of it. My GTO is a 2005 A4 bone stock. With some drag tires and a little more seat time should run 12's with no problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Here is link with pictures of My 05 at the 1/8 mile last Sunday.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23217
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in