Beat a Ferrari F430 with my SUV - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beat a Ferrari F430 with my SUV

That's right......it was a 7 mile race and the Ferrari never led for even one inch of it. So when does a Volvo beat an F430? Answer....at rush hour.

I was leaving my office in stamford CT tonight and as I started up the ramp onto I95 what should pull in behind me but a gorgeous red race car from the design studio in Maranello. The guy driving it was probably in his 50's....top down....looking mahvelous....70 degree weather....clear skies.....life was good.

For those of you who don't know I95 in Fairfield county CT, it's a three lane parking lot from about 3PM til maybe 7PM while NY city empties out into the suburbs. Well, I crest the top of the ramp and muscle my way into the line of lemmings like all the other good CT drivers. No eye contact, no head movement to telegraph your moves. Just a quick cut in front of some slow witted dullard who isn't paying attention and leaves "a hole". Then you give the turn signal a single flash and it's all legit.

Now it's the Ferrari's turn. The poor guy is having an anxiety attack.... nearly standing up in his seat....waving to the uncaring line of commercial vans and taxis just daring the poor guy to try what I just did. Finally, someone takes pity and lets the guy into line about three lemmings back.

I make two more moves into the left lane and the Ferrari pleads his way into the center lane. The race is on mutha clucka!

Now, horsepower doesn't matter in this race. Torque is useless. Handling is irrelevant. And, driving skill consists of drafting like Sen Larry Craig in an airport toilet and picking the correct lane or having the balls to make a hole for yourself when another lane starts to move infinitessimally faster than the lane you're in. Top speeds can reach more than 35 MPH for short distances and that's about all the poor slob in the Ferrari was ever able to manage.

To be honest, it wasn't a fair race. The poor guy in the chariot of fire was extremely disadvantaged. He likely pissed himself and shat his pants several times over before heading for the door at route 7 in Norwalk.

Anyway.....the point of all this verbage......I got to wondering. At what point do your possessions start owning you? Would you really want to own a Ferrari? This guy had fear in his eyes and everyone around him knew it.

Nah, no thanks. That was the beauty of the GTO. Lots of fun in the real world. No one targets you for abuse. And, hey if they do, it's not the end of the world. The Ferrari is a beautiful dream machine but I don't really want one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM

In June I started driving the C6, as my daily driver, after selling the Dakota that I had. It's not a Ferrari, but a red Corvette does get some attention.
Like the attention I got when out of a group of 15 cars a Georgia highway revenue agent picked the red Corvette to ticket. Or the attention I got at hotels along the way, while making a 10,000 mile trip, which consisted of coming out to the car 3 times and finding that someone had spit on it. 3 times is not a coincidence and at 3 different locations. I stayed at a couple cheap hotels, but the spitting was done at a Hampton Inn, a Residence Inn and a Comfort Inn. Not exactly Motel 6's.

I've gotten other attention too, like the time I went to Target (I'm definately too terrified to park it at WalMart)and came out to find 3 shopping carts resting against my car. No damage, but there was a message there. I went to a local night club and came out to find someone had emptied 3 beers, the cans were right there, and from the smell pissed on my car. The latest was at a grocery store parking lot. I don't park way away from everyone, that makes your car stand out. Instead I try to park a spot away and near another nice car. I went on a Sunday evening at around dinner tme. As safe a time as any you'd think. Well someone keyed the passenger door. I'm driving a miserable Toyota Corolla while the body shop fixes the door. $400, just below the point where you turn it in to the insurance company.

These acts are random and occur in random locations, so it's not someone that hates me. It's the car and the attention it gets. I've just about had it. I love the way the car drives, but really miss the stealthiness of the GTO. I actually tried to search out a new GTO in the state of Florida, and can't find one. That actually has me thinking Cobalt SS, or Mazdaspeed 3 or some other cars that blend in. The idea of a daily driver is also there, but it just kills me to see the Corvette sitting all the time. Why have it if you aren't going to enjoy it.

The thought will probably pass once I get the Corvette back. It just stinks that people are miserable like that.

I really feel for the guy with the Ferrari. I'd love to own one, but probably never will, not due to financial means entirely, but the fear of owning one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
that sucks i did not think people would do such things to a nice car like that. what the hell would they do to a Bently? " ehhh its just a 300C

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Or the attention I got at hotels along the way, while making a 10,000 mile trip, which consisted of coming out to the car 3 times and finding that someone had spit on it. 3 times is not a coincidence and at 3 different locations. I stayed at a couple cheap hotels, but the spitting was done at a Hampton Inn, a Residence Inn and a Comfort Inn. Not exactly Motel 6's.
o that was your red vette? i figured the driver would have learned the first time not to be following me and my hotels
seriously that sucks that people are malicious like this. i have two dents one on each side of the goat due to those careless people in the world. then again i just look at it as just material. money bought that and money can buy another.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZ GOAT View Post
that sucks i did not think people would do such things to a nice car like that. what the hell would they do to a Bently? " ehhh its just a 300C
My sister made the comment to a guy that she didn't realize they made a 2 door 300. I'm sure that burst his bubble.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut View Post
Nah, no thanks. That was the beauty of the GTO. Lots of fun in the real world. No one targets you for abuse. And, hey if they do, it's not the end of the world. The Ferrari is a beautiful dream machine but I don't really want one.
Funny, I just bought seven Ferraris today.

Now I just need to buy a display case for them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Fergy,

Sorry to hear about your encounters with the cream of our society. It amazes me that there are people who are so.....jealous?.....mean?.....lacking in basic values?.....stooopid?

I found the Ferrari guy's situation amusing but I was thoroughly enjoying the view of a piece of automotive art. I would never in a million years consider doing anything to damage a great looking car that the guy obviously derived a lot of pride from owning.

You might find me outside your hotel admiring your Vette, Lotus, Bentley, Viper, Ferrari, Lambo, Chevelle SS, etc. But spitting on it or emptying my bladder on the hood would never occur to me. In fact, I think I'd walk up and take a swing at the lowlife if I saw someone doing that.

But, given that these people exist and there's nothing I can do about it, my solution is to keep away from situations that would land me in jail. Fun, stealthy cars are what I lust after. Flashing your wealth is almost never a good idea.

If I get another sports car it may just be the new Honda S2000 CR. A buddy has one and it's a blast to drive if a bit lacking in comfort. But, it doesn't seem to draw much attention from the scum bags or anyone else for that matter. And, it's not that expensive.

Last edited by Wing_Nut; 09-27-2007 at 01:16 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Just noticed that someone spit on my car this morning, too. Big hocker on the right front fender. You've got to have serious issues to do something like that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM

When I read the title I was like "WTF SUV are YOU driving?"

And Fergy... That's a serious bummer. I would've never thought people could be so sh*tty. I just always assume it's some semi rich older douche (no offense) when I see one and figure he'll blow up if I even look at it when I see one.

I suppose it tells you that people are very petty.

And Corvette drivers usually are pretty tame just because of the value of their car. Which is totally respectable. I wouldn't want to take a chance of ruining my 50000 dollar car. Or raising insurance either...

I did see one guy dogging a Vette. Older dude rockin a stache. He was driving like a mad man. But I noticed he had dealer plates. On a long bend that becomes sharper near the end, he spun after hitting some water from a fire hydrant. Luckily there was no traffic. I came around the bend (he was pretty far ahead) in time to see him recovering and engulfed in a cloud of smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in