Best set-up to track/autocross an '05 GTO? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best set-up to track/autocross an '05 GTO?

Of course, I know that the GTO is heavy and probably not great on a track with curves. I do plan on getting a GTO and I want to make it faster around turns - in a straight line I am pretty much fine with it. What would I need to do with it? (I'm used to C4 'Vettes).

Im thinking:

Weight reduction (best places to do this?)

Lighter rims/stickier tires
Adjustable shocks
Anti-roll bar
Baer/Wilwood brake rotors/calipers/pads

Anything else I could do to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Well, how competitive are you wanting to be? And what class are you planning on running?

Reason I ask this, you have some good mods listed, but the brake kit will put you into a non-stock class, something like CSP maybe which is not a good class to run.

I'm not sure on the roll bar situation, I think that will put you out of class as well. You can take the car to the local dealership, or a local mechanic and have him set up a race-alignment for you... Basically, the handling of the car can be greatly improved just by adding a little bit of camber and toe to the car.

But the other mods are fine... K&N airfilter (not full intake!) and a catback exhaust will be about the extent of motor mods that are allowed. A good set of adjustable shocks will be legal, Koni's/Bilstein there are a lot out there that are good... but pricey.

Tires and wheels are good. Many people are swearing by the new Kumho V710 autocross tire, and for good reason. I'm not sure how well they are wearing, but it can't be that bad. This season I've been racing on the new Hoosier road-race compound tire, and it's been awesome. ANd for wheels, a good set of lightweight wheels will be fine, but if nothing else, just get another set of stock wheels and put the tires on there. You can't oversize your wheels in stock class.

And finally, Lightening the car is also a no-no in stock class. You can take out the floormats (big deal) and remove the spare tire and jack. Make sure when you get to an event that you have a 1/4 tank of gas or less... saves a lot of weight as well.

Hope this helps out, these are all the plans I have for my '04 next year. In the coming weeks I need to decide between the Kumho tires and the Hoosiers. I plan on racing at a few Pro-solo events this year, so hopefully I make the right choice. and hopefully the car is competitive!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 10:36 AM

I saw that Lingenfelter offers a shorter-ratio steering box...that would rock.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 10:19 PM

How about some Eibach sport springs. I have put them on my cars and love em. 1991 Q45 ,1992 Honda Civic.
GTO-TO-GO
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM

I'm waiting for more suspension parts to come out before I make an educated decision. I have been autocrossing (and a few road courses) my '96 Impala SS (not stock) for about 5 years. I like the way it handles, very quick turn-in, and it is fairly neutral through the turns, with a bit of oversteer on command.

The GTO handles well on the high-speed stuff, but them crap stock tires won't stick at all at an autocross. I have some in-car footage of my only 2 times out with the GTO on my website here. Please excuse the wind noise in the GTO, working on cutting that down.

I, for one, am for linear rate springs. I'd like to go a different route than I did with the SS, where I put monster sway bars on that thing, and it worked well, but now that I have a lot of other suspension stuff on it, the front bar isn't big enough, and the rear is a bit too big. On the GTO, I'd like to try stiffer springs first (maybe adjustable coil-overs?), then see about sway bars.

Just my uneducated humble opinion, thanks for reading.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:13 PM

Nocones, you are a cool mother*&$ker.

We need a lot of mods to compete on the drag, but nice 'cross runs!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow
A good set of adjustable shocks will be legal, Koni's/Bilstein there are a lot out there that are good... but pricey.
Can you please point me in the direction of where to purchase these in the US and/or give some part numbers? I can find these in OZ and they are coil overs that are adjustable, but I would like to be able to find these resonably close. I know Norris Motorsports in FLA have a good coil over set as well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 11:46 PM

Here's the things I've found to help, in the order of effectiveness:

1. Racing seat/harness
With it I can worry about driving instead of trying to stay in my seat. When I take out the bottom pad, my butt is prolly 1-1/2 inches off the floorboards, and I can feel the car better.
2. Tires
Good tires help you do everything better, and race tires weigh less too....synthetic cords instead of steel.
3. Lower and align
It'll lower the COG. Try to get rid of bumpsteer while you're at it. Get an aggressive alignment, and it'll help the outside front tire stay flat when you're cornering hard on race tires.
4. Bled brakes
Braking shouldn't require thinking. It's put your foot on the pedal to slow it down. If you're thinking "how f3#ing far do I push the pedal down to slow down?!?" on the course....or ever.

The most important thing isn't part of your car...it's in your head. Learn how to drive. Unless you're Heinreicy (sp?), you're slow. You can learn with time on the track, in racing forums, with books, and even video games.

I'm far from being without fault. My dumbazz thinks it's cool to barely slide the car throughout a corner. If I had enough discipline to hold back just the tiniest bit, I'd be SO much faster!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:17 AM

So, how is the aftermarket support for the new GTOs? Are they starting to put out some good products?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:49 PM

suspension parts should be about the same on the 04 and 05 right? STbrace? any differance in space with the LS2 vs the LS1 and the hood?

-shu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in