C5 Vette verses C5ZO6 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
C5 Vette verses C5ZO6

Ran up on C5ZO6 stock 2003.The Z has the weight and gear advantage on me but I ran well.Each time from a roll he pulled me a little because of my crappy reaction time. Once we took off even it was a differant story.I held him off in first and second gear and I was out on him by a nose then by third gear I had him by a car.My vette has only some bolt ons like headers cai and a tune so the HP output is about the same but the Z weighs about 150 to 200Lbs lighter and the 6 speed trans is geared a little lower.I think a small cam would get me where i want to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChappa View Post
Ran up on C5ZO6 stock 2003.The Z has the weight and gear advantage on me but I ran well.Each time from a roll he pulled me a little because of my crappy reaction time. Once we took off even it was a differant story.I held him off in first and second gear and I was out on him by a nose then by third gear I had him by a car.My vette has only some bolt ons like headers cai and a tune so the HP output is about the same but the Z weighs about 150 to 200Lbs lighter and the 6 speed trans is geared a little lower.I think a small cam would get me where i want to be.
Nice runs.

My car has an intake and a tune and it's in the mid 360's to the wheels. I'm running high 11's with it when I put the stickies on, but with street tires it runs 12.0-12.2. I gained a full half second with the tune and intake. We didn't do a dyno but he said that most of the time the C5 Z06's hit upper 330's to mid 340's on his dyno stock. Funny thing is the mph didn't change very much. I was in the high 116 to low 118 range and now I'm pretty solid high 118 low 119. So I might have only gained 1.5 mph but it goes down the track quicker time wise. A good guess is the tune and intake got me 20-25 hp.

The weight is worth about 2 tenths and the 10 hp I have on you might be another 10th so figure from a stop all things being equal I'd be about 2-3 cars on you by 115-120. Pretty darn close. One little mistake and it turns out differently.

I think a cam, even a small one puts you well past a lightly modded C5 Z06. Heads and cam puts you in the hunt for a C6 Z06.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

MY C5 Vette was never dynoed bone stock,but with a cai,catback and a dyno tune I was at 330 to the wheels.After the LT headers and a retune I am at 357 to the wheels.I am pretty happy about it's performance and I know a cam would take me where I really want to be.About $2000. should do it but i don't want the drivability of the car to be effected.To be realistic I think I could get 30 hp out of a small cam.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Good race but sounds like you beat the driver?

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes,I did beat the driver even thou the Z should be able to beat me with the weight and trans gearing to his advantage.My Vette does come on strong in third gear thats when the LT headers take over.If I can stay with the other car in first and second then the race is over once I slam third.I am a pretty good driver and a lot of times skill wins.One time a new BMW pulls up to me and the guy said it had a 500 hp V10 in it,I knew this car would waste me off the line,it had the triptronic trans with the paddle shifters.I had a good launch and had him out of the hole by a fender in first and second,I hit the rev limiter at the top of second gear and he got me.The guy in the Bemmer didn't believe that my Vette had only boltons.This time the Vette had the weight advantage,too bad I missed third.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM

Garage
The Z06 has a 3.42 gear, compared to the stock C-5 2.76 or 3.15. The 6 speed should be the same. You should take it to the strip, get your real numbers and post them. You miss a gear at the strip and you lose a 1/2 second, game over. At the strip, if you are off by a .10th of a second, you kick yourself in the ass as you screwed up. Z06s and Vipers will fry the tires on the lauch, so without a burnout they are fair game, get ithem to hook it's another story.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
Good race but sounds like you beat the driver?
Isn't that the way its allways is?

Come on Deuuuce you know better than that, when does the car ever get paid or get the trophie winning anytype of race The credit allways goes to the driver.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

A Z06 and a regular Vette if they have a 6 speed, both have a 3.42 gear.The differance is that the ZO6 has lower gears in the trans.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
A Z06 and a regular Vette if they have a 6 speed, both have a 3.42 gear.The differance is that the ZO6 has lower gears in the trans.
I don't think so, but you may be right. I worked at a Vette parts warehouse and many bought the Z06 rear for the 3.42 gear. Trans gears are only going to pick up first gear, and that would make it a wide ratio tranny, which would have more RPM drop between gears, which isn't faster.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
The Z06 has a 3.42 gear, compared to the stock C-5 2.76 or 3.15. The 6 speed should be the same. You should take it to the strip, get your real numbers and post them. You miss a gear at the strip and you lose a 1/2 second, game over. At the strip, if you are off by a .10th of a second, you kick yourself in the ass as you screwed up. Z06s and Vipers will fry the tires on the lauch, so without a burnout they are fair game, get ithem to hook it's another story.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
I don't think so, but you may be right. I worked at a Vette parts warehouse and many bought the Z06 rear for the 3.42 gear. Trans gears are only going to pick up first gear, and that would make it a wide ratio tranny, which would have more RPM drop between gears, which isn't faster.
The Vette had the MM6 and the M12 for 6 speeds. 2.73, 3.15 and 3.42 was available for the vett. 3.42 was standard for the manualy shifted cars, 2.73 was standard for the auto cars and 3.15 was the optional gearing for automatics, maybe the Z51

Last edited by GM4life; 05-19-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in