Chrysler Magnum? Not so fast! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chrysler Magnum? Not so fast!

Okay, so a co-worker had car troubles and I picked him up at his dealer and was driving into work. We're talking about our new boss, so I was not paying much attention to the cars around me (that is, I was watching the "traffic", but not specific cars). I take off from a light, with just regular GTO acceleration. Normally this is enough to leave the run-of-the-mill cars far behind... but the guy next to me is just a little behind. Unconsciencely, I give more gas... he gives more gas... Now its WTF? and I punch it. He's left in the dust.

As we get to the next light, there are cars in front of us, and his side has a shorter line so I get to see that it was one of those new Magnums (crossfire?) - that sort of fast back station wagon looking "thing"

I thought those were supposed to have the "new hemi" and at least reasonably fast - or are these cars avaialbe with other, more weenie engines???

If that was the hemi I am seriously unimpressed. The car didn't even keep up with a just partial throttle take off from the GTO.

Qualify as a kill?

---Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:46 PM

The base engine is a V6 with the Hemi option. Even at that, that Magnum is heavier than the GTO with 25 or 30 less HP. I like the commercial...starting at $25K. Loaded, they are around $35K. $10K in options is a ton.

But, Chrysler is bringing a new Hemi to the table next year with even more HP.

May make the fight a little more fair at least.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Next time I throw him back I'll be sure and tell him to get his big brother then.

---Larry

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 06:33 PM

In aerospace terms, the Magnum has a high CDu...which is the Coefficient of Drag due to Ugliness.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:11 PM

oh, and by the way, I say you get the kill!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to lisatw151
I don't know... I've been in a little friendly "competition" with a magnum twice now. The same one! On my way home from work one morning, I was stopped at a light, waiting to turn left onto a freeway entrance ramp. It's a tight circle ramp that leads into a very long straightaway before merging into highway traffic. There are two lanes until the very end. When the light turn green I went on my way, not really paying attention until I noticed the car behind was literally right on my butt. It kinda irritated me (that's putting it nicely) so I tromped on it. Lo and behold, he stayed right with me. We were doing 115mph by the time we reached the merging point. He backed off first, but I slowed down and let him go by just to see what it was. A Dodge Magnum. He wouldn't have been able to pass me, but I didn't walk off and leave him either. Two weeks later, the same happened, only this time I was behind him at the same light. I rode his rear end until he realized what was going on and HE tromped on it. He, however, didn't push it as hard as I had the first time, and not wanting to take the chance of running out of room, I didn't pass him on the right. I could have however. At 75mph, I was only turning about 2000rpm. Lots of room to go! heehee So I don't know if it was just that he didn't feel like playing or what. At any rate, the Magnum is a butt-ugly car, fast or not. Looks like a station wagon on steroids.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader953
oh, and by the way, I say you get the kill!
Thanks, but to me: DENIED! I mean it got stomped, but a V-6? Next thing you know 4-cylinder Honda's will think they're eligible.

What I should ask tho, is how do I tell if its the weenie v-6 or the hemi?

Amoung the things I like about the GTO is they are ALL fast. Some model years may be faster than others, but at a stop light the competition should realize its going to have something stomp it.

Mustang's, Camero's, Firebirds, etc all come as "secretary" cars, look fast, but just one squirrel under the hood... and not even a macho-squirrel.

Now there wasn't a lot of "badges" on this Magnum. I had to crane my neck to see that (and it WAS PAINFUL looking at the car so long - as Groucho points out the cars ARE butt ugly)

---Larry
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 08:11 AM

Apples and oranges. I don't even consider the Magnum and GTO in the same category of cars, so it's a wasted "race" if you ask me. The Crossfire is more comparable to a GTO, and I'm sure it would give any stock goat a run for its money.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF Jon
Apples and oranges. I don't even consider the Magnum and GTO in the same category of cars, so it's a wasted "race" if you ask me. The Crossfire is more comparable to a GTO, and I'm sure it would give any stock goat a run for its money.
Actually, the Magnum is much faster than the Crossfire (unless it's an SRT-6, which 99 times out of 100 it's not).

Magnum
Top speed : 130 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 5.8 sec.
0- mile : 14.6 sec @ 97.5 mph
60-0 braking distance : 125 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.80 g

Crossfire
Top speed : 150 mph
0-60 mph : 6.8 sec.(manual)
0- mile : 15.1 sec @ 93.7 mph(manual)
60-0 braking distance : 117 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.91 g

Crossfire SRT-6
Top speed : 154 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 5.1 sec.
0- mile : 13.5 sec @ 107.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 120 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.91 g

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM
Thanks, but to me: DENIED! I mean it got stomped, but a V-6? Next thing you know 4-cylinder Honda's will think they're eligible.

What I should ask tho, is how do I tell if its the weenie v-6 or the hemi?

Amoung the things I like about the GTO is they are ALL fast. Some model years may be faster than others, but at a stop light the competition should realize its going to have something stomp it.

Mustang's, Camero's, Firebirds, etc all come as "secretary" cars, look fast, but just one squirrel under the hood... and not even a macho-squirrel.

Now there wasn't a lot of "badges" on this Magnum. I had to crane my neck to see that (and it WAS PAINFUL looking at the car so long - as Groucho points out the cars ARE butt ugly)

---Larry
Actually, I disagree, as an alternative to an ugly oversized SUV, I think the Magnum is a fantastic choice.

Also, to answer your question about how to the tell the difference, just look for RT badges and 18 inch wheels. Then you know that things got a Hemi.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 08:36 AM

Yes, I was referring to the SRT-6. And I agree with you, I like the styling of the Magnum. Being a previous Buick Roadmaster Wagon (LT1, of course) owner, I love the idea of a sports wagon. If the Magnum had the 3rd row of seats like the old B-body wagons did, I'd be all over it like flies on poop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in