Close Race: GTO vs BMW 545i - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Close Race: GTO vs BMW 545i

Went to dinner last night with my wife and some of her friends from work. She is an ER Nurse and two doctors were there, one had a brand new BMW 545i. He took a look at my car on the way out and said it was nice, but it couldn't keep up with his new BMW. I disagreed and we decided to see who was right. We did two back to back races from a stop and I had him by 5 or 6 car lengths at 110 mph in each race. Then we went from 35 mph roll and he was much closer, but I still pulled away. I was impressed with the performance of the 4 door, but he was really stunned by the performance of a basically stock GTO. He about choked when I lifted the hood and he saw that pretty LS2. He thought the GTO was a mid 14's car. He was wrong, hee, hee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:31 PM

That doctor needs an M5!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 PM

Technically the 545i is a year old , the 06 is the 550i . And the thrill of seeing the rear of a GTO only cost $20,000 more...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkRed05GTO
Went to dinner last night with my wife and some of her friends from work. She is an ER Nurse and two doctors were there, one had a brand new BMW 545i. He took a look at my car on the way out and said it was nice, but it couldn't keep up with his new BMW. I disagreed and we decided to see who was right. We did two back to back races from a stop and I had him by 5 or 6 car lengths at 110 mph in each race. Then we went from 35 mph roll and he was much closer, but I still pulled away. I was impressed with the performance of the 4 door, but he was really stunned by the performance of a basically stock GTO. He about choked when I lifted the hood and he saw that pretty LS2. He thought the GTO was a mid 14's car. He was wrong, hee, hee.
way to go
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBMWforME
That doctor needs an M5!!
He talked about getting one - 507 HP V10 and a 7 speed gear box. But for $80,000+, he got 2 vehicles - the 545i and a Tacoma truck.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:56 PM

He could have had almost 3 GTO's. (With a volume discount, he could probably swing it!! Pre-taxes that is.) Funny thing about the BMW mentality, he would probably never consider a PONTIAC. (I almost didn't) After having owned both, the GTO brings some freedom is many ways, especially the knowledge that you aren't parking an 80K car in a parking lot of some movie theater, etc. etc.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:03 PM

Doctor huh? Probably not the most agressive driver.

Was the Kraut Wagon a slushbox or manual?

No need to be nice about the beating you gave him. I'm sure the BMW driving doctor would have been all smug about "superior German engineering" if you lost.

Well at least he can feel superior about the steep price and the little propeller on the hood.

Did you mention that a BMW looks just like a Pontiackkk with the kidney grills.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Doctor huh? Probably not the most agressive driver.

Was the Kraut Wagon a slushbox or manual?

No need to be nice about the beating you gave him. I'm sure the BMW driving doctor would have been all smug about "superior German engineering" if you lost.

Well at least he can feel superior about the steep price and the little propeller on the hood.

Did you mention that a BMW looks just like a Pontiackkk with the kidney grills.
Funny you mention it. When I first saw the 645, I thought it looked JUST like a Pontiac, just not quite as mean looking as the GTO, more like the G6 Coupe.

BTW, the BMW is my favorite car to trounce. The owners are smug, and think their cars can beat anything on the road. Even the POS 525. Last week, I blew away a 330. The guy was such a jerk, that even my wife said he deserved to be embarassed. (It was even better, since his girlfriend/wife was in the car with him.) BTW, when I blew him away, it was on a curve. Anyone that just thinks of these as just 1/4 mile cars is dead wrong. They can handle and stop with the best of them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 PM

The new 550's are damn nice. I HAVE driven one, even thought it's not for sale, or at dealerships yet!! They are very quick, noticibly quicker than the 45's (havn't driven a 545, but have a 645, same thing). I have no doubt the GTO could still beat it, but for what it is, the 550 is a damned nice car that I wouldn't mind owning. I love working on the newer E60's, and it's funny how the more I work on these BMW's, the more I want one, but not as much as I want a GTO. BTW, I am a BMW Certified Diagnostic Technician.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Tom

Used to be people in camaros would run a bmw and say how great the camaro is and how it can compete in a line with a bmw. what they failed to take into account is how much nicer the bmw felt, how much tighter the bmw was put together, and how much easier it was to live with the bmw on a day to day basis.

but that was comparing the camaro that was designed with an american mentality to a bmw. with the german derived chasis tuned by the aussies and powered by the americans, the gto feels about as nice as a bmw, is put together almost as tight as a bmw and is just as easy to live with on a day to day basis. I think the bmw is worth the price of admission, which just makes the gto a real bargain!!!

there is a sweeper/exit-entrance ramp i take every morning. i make it my business to try and pass at least two cars a day on that turn. this is my last day at this office for a while. I passed seven cars today on that turn in the gto. now that is going out in style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in