A couple of runs today - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of runs today

I brought my C5 Z06 to work today for the first time. A guy I work with has a 63 Split Window Sting Ray 2 owner car with 37,000 miles and a very rare automatic, a 69 Chevelle SS that has a modern suspension and a 12.1 compression 454 that makes over 500 rwhp and a 87 Grand National that is in the 500 hp range. I convinced him to bring one of those rides in and I brought the Z06. He picked his Chevelle. No we didn't race. The cars did look great sitting side by side though.

On the way in a car came up on me pretty quick. I moved over and let him by. As he went by I realized it was a Roush 427E. He slowed hard and got beside me. I heard him downshift so I did the same. I picked 3rd at 55 not an ideal spot to start off at. He beeped 3 times and we both hit it. He pulled a half car to 70 and then I lit the afterburners and flat out just smoked him. By 120 I had 5 cars plus on him and was really starting to open things up. I let off at that point. He beeped an waved.

Little further along I ran into a Challenger SRT8. We were on a new tollway they built and it has no traffic and 3 nice wide lanes. We went from a 70 roll, at 100 I had 4-5 cars on him. I let off and he came by and hit the flashers like he won. I came back to even with him at about 85 and he hit it so I did too. I thought this time he's getting taught a lesson. I let off at 158 (gotta love the HUD) and had about 20 plus car lengths on him. I hit my flashers this time.

On the way home on the new tollway I got on as a 03-04 Cobra vert was rolling past. I was accelerating as I was beside him and I think he thought I wanted to race. He must have been stock because he hit it first and I left it in 4th from 60 or so. He never opened more than a car to a car and a half on me and by 103 mph we were even and by 135 I had 4 plus cars on him. Nice guy and it was the Mystichrome color that is definately neat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Little further along I ran into a Challenger SRT8. We were on a new tollway they built and it has no traffic and 3 nice wide lanes. We went from a 70 roll, at 100 I had 4-5 cars on him.
Geeze, lots of action out there. 55/60mph is better for the SRT-8s. He should have known better but it wouldn't change the fact he would lose.

Was it a stick btw?

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
Geeze, lots of action out there. 55/60mph is better for the SRT-8s. He should have known better but it wouldn't change the fact he would lose.

Was it a stick btw?
55-60 any mph he wanted to race unless he was heavily modded he was toast.

Couldn't tell if it was a stick, he wasn't beside me for very long and I didn't focus on him. I just watched the HUD and shifted and glanced in the mirror as he dropped back.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
55-60 any mph he wanted to race unless he was heavily modded he was toast.

Couldn't tell if it was a stick, he wasn't beside me for very long and I didn't focus on him. I just watched the HUD and shifted and glanced in the mirror as he dropped back.
Of course. A head/cam car with a stall would be needed to make it close. But what speed did you two start at?

'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Of course. A head/cam car with a stall would be needed to make it close. But what speed did you two start at?
We went from 70 -100 and I opened up about 4 or 5 cars on him. I slipped it into 6th and just kinda relaxed and he did the ricer fly-by and threw on his flashers.

Then we went from about 85. I let off at 158.

Did you read my post at all????
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 PM

Oh yeah, forgot. At 85mph, was it any better than the 70mph hit (before he gave up)?

'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
Examiner.com

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot. At 85mph, was it any better than the 70mph hit (before he gave up)?
It wasn't a fair start at all from 85. He was a car and a half ahead and hit it before me. I was in fourth and that's pretty close to the right gear for that speed, 3rd only has another 5mph. So I guess that was another advantage for him, I was at the bottom of my powerband not the middle.

I don't remember the exact speed that I came around him at, maybe 100 or 110, somewhere in there. Once I got to 130 he was back aways and by the time I was over 150 he started to drop like a rock and may have let off.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM

It sure is nice dominating. I had a few runs/beat downs yesterday, one a 4th gen Formula 350 Firebird, another a '65-'66 Stingray Conv. , and the other a C4 Vette. The 'Bird was from a dig, and the two vettes were highway pulls. Interestingly I opened up more carlengths on the C4 than the Stingray. But I was real proud of the Formula 350 victory, I know those are no slouches, and have somewhat of a weight advantage over the GTO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in