Drag Racing - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drag Racing

I was talking with a friend that has an 07 Z06. He told me he has quit taking it to the track. He goes to Gainesville and they are giving him a real hard time about the car there.

Issue one is, they wan't him to have a blanket and a driveshaft loop. I guess the NHRA officials are under pressure, the stock Z06 is too fast and is capable of 10's and runs 11.49's and better with poor drivers. The car has the potential for a catastrophic clutch blowout, especially on the stock clutch, in severe use. The rule is 11.49 or quicker and you need the loop and blanket.

The second issue is the tracks are starting to enforce the 11.49 rule for roll cages. I always thought it was 10.99, but the rule is 11.49 and the NHRA is really enforcing that. Since C6 Z06's have the potential to run below 11.49 at Gainesville they require the roll cage. No exceptions, show up in a C6 Z06 and you better have a roll cage.

If you have a roll bar they are requiring a quick release harness with a crotch strap. Basically a 5 point harness system.

They are requiring a minimum of a fire jacket and requesting a fire suit. They are also enforcing the drive shaft loop on cars with DR's and slicks if they are below 13.99.

He also said they are going nuts on your helmet. If it isn't the right spec Snell rating your not driving. The M class of helmets for motorcycles don't cut it anymore.

He also has a Viper and they won't let hm run it without a roll cage.

Has me questioning the purchase of a Z06 now. If I do all those mods it will defiately take away from resale and the enjoyment I'd get on the street.

Anybody else track their modified GTO and can give some insight to what your experiencing? Anybody know of people with Z06's that have headed to a track? Is this just Gainesville and Orlando Speedworld, or is this the real deal everywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Wow that sucks, I've been browsing on the LS1GTO forum and there are so many GTO that are running low 11s without cages, as far as I can see. A couple of years ago one of my buddys put a 460 in a 91 mustang LX conv, he went 10s on the motor and went high 9s on spray with no cage , that was crazy.They never bothered him, this was at Atco raceway.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

That's what I'm wondering, if it's a Florida thing, or just these two local tracks, or if they are starting to crack down widespread.

I just did some checking on the Z06 forum. Several people complained about the rules and having to drive under them. The tracks let them run unless they run quicker than 11.49. Then they get the boot and have to wait a month or so to come back. They all seem to be in the southeast. But there's still people running low 11's with no cage or driveshaft loops at some tracks elsewhere.

If I have to put a cage, 5 point harnesses, a fire jacket in the Florida heat, a blanket, and a driveshaft loop into the car, that really would stop me from buying it.

When I ran my 11.501 in the C5 Z06, the NHRA official pulled me aside and told me to ease up. He then told me all this stuff that I should have if I didn't. Next run was an 11.85, I got the message.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Fergyflyer and all else that are interested; here are the track rules for Infineon here in the Bay Area...The main track to drag your street ride...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IRDragRules.pdf (90.2 KB, 122 views)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,

Infineon looks very similar to the stuff here in Florida. The question is, do they enforce it??

I'm seeing roll cage and 5 point harness under 11.99.

I'm seeing no cars with Independent Rear Axles faster than 10.99. DR's and you can get into the 10's pretty easily. DR's an intake and a tune and your deep into the 10's.

Explosion proof flywheel and clutch shield (Blanket)for cars faster than 11.99.

Drivers jacket under 11.99.

Driveshaft loop under 12.99.

That means the regular C6 has to have a driveshaft loop and a GTO with minor mods needs the driveshaft loop.

I was told that the NHRA officials were told to crack down on stock cars. I guess up until a year or two ago, you had to modify a car pretty heavily to get it to run what stock street cars are now running. Typically when you modify to race you build in the extra safety equipment as a package.

Most people plunking down 65-75,000 for a Z06 don't want to modify it in a way that kills resale, so this takes it out of the drag racing picture.

I asked a couple of people on the Vette forum and they all replied that they had modified their cars after getting hassled about the safety equipment. The safety focus started big time this year.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 AM

From the few folks (about 4) that I have spoken to recently it's all inforced. I have not seen a local drag up close in a long time so I don't have first hand knowledge... Sounds like anything to avoid the potential litigation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Thanks,

Infineon looks very similar to the stuff here in Florida. The question is, do they enforce it??

I'm seeing roll cage and 5 point harness under 11.99.

I'm seeing no cars with Independent Rear Axles faster than 10.99. DR's and you can get into the 10's pretty easily. DR's an intake and a tune and your deep into the 10's.

Explosion proof flywheel and clutch shield (Blanket)for cars faster than 11.99.

Drivers jacket under 11.99.

Driveshaft loop under 12.99.

That means the regular C6 has to have a driveshaft loop and a GTO with minor mods needs the driveshaft loop.

I was told that the NHRA officials were told to crack down on stock cars. I guess up until a year or two ago, you had to modify a car pretty heavily to get it to run what stock street cars are now running. Typically when you modify to race you build in the extra safety equipment as a package.

Most people plunking down 65-75,000 for a Z06 don't want to modify it in a way that kills resale, so this takes it out of the drag racing picture.

I asked a couple of people on the Vette forum and they all replied that they had modified their cars after getting hassled about the safety equipment. The safety focus started big time this year.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Here in Louisiana, the car races at No Problem Raceway, a NHRA sanctioned track. They strictly enforce the rules. I have 8 point roll bar and driveshaft safety loop and many other things required to run below 11.49. The car is good to 10.00. Since car has not been tracked on race tune and we believe it's going to be very low 10s or even very high 9s, car is scheduled next monday for conversion to full cage and lot of other welds and safety upgrades. In addition, car has to be fully inspected and driver needs health physical and a race license. If weather cooperates, we're going to the track this friday. If car hits 9.999????, they will tell us to boost down.

Full cage means bars along the roof, going through dashboard, X bar added to rear, and bar along the dashboard between the steeringwheel and dash going all the way from left to right. It's not pretty.

Pic of 8 point roll bar just after install

06GT, 76mm turbo @ 22 lbs boost, stroker built motor, 4r70w, alcohol inj sys

old times before recent engine rebuild and new power mods
10.0 @ 136

Last edited by forensicsteve; 04-23-2008 at 08:35 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I was hoping you'd post here Steve.

Good luck on the 9's.

3 or 4 years ago, and this was back up in Ohio, if it was a street car, they kinda looked the other way. If you got into the 10's they would crack down on you, but running into the High 11's, as long as you were decently safe, they just let you run.

I guess times have changed and the liability is greater.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Steve - do you take it on the street? Would hate to be a passanger in that Bad-Boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensicsteve View Post
Here in Louisiana, the car races at No Problem Raceway, a NHRA sanctioned track. They strictly enforce the rules. I have 8 point roll bar and driveshaft safety loop and many other things required to run below 11.49. The car is good to 10.00. Since car has not been tracked on race tune and we believe it's going to be very low 10s or even very high 9s, car is scheduled next monday for conversion to full cage and lot of other welds and safety upgrades. In addition, car has to be fully inspected and driver needs health physical and a race license. If weather cooperates, we're going to the track this friday. If car hits 9.999????, they will tell us to boost down.

Full cage means bars along the roof, going through dashboard, X bar added to rear, and bar along the dashboard between the steeringwheel and dash going all the way from left to right. It's not pretty.

Pic of 8 point roll bar just after install
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQ GTO View Post
Steve - do you take it on the street? Would hate to be a passanger in that Bad-Boy...
Around here we call that an Anti-fat-chick device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in