Drag Strip - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drag Strip

Have not really been to the drag strip, mostly raced on the street. But just wondering what is the best setup for good times. Things like launch rpm's tire pressure etc... looking to run 13.00 or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 PM

On street tires. 25 PSi would be a good setting. Don't do a burn out on street tires! just a quick spin to clean them off will due. Launch at about 2500 RPMs while feathering the clutch. Leave on the third yellow. Dont wait for the lights to turn green. This will help your reaction time. 13 flat or better is probably optimistic if your stock but good luck to you.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68

Last edited by bluebeast; 08-17-2007 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
will not make it in the heat down here

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 PM

If you're on street tires, just make sure you don't give it full throttle from the getgo ... You want to keep it straight ... I was at a strip in my altima (2k2 3.5 SE M5) a couple of years back... it was "camaro night" so mainly I was getting my butt kicked (my best was 9.35 @ 77.78 mph - 1/8 mile ) and this one time, the (late model) camaro beside me didn't get a good takeoff ... I was so excited at the prospect of possibly beating a camaro that I, too, floored it too soon, and started hopping my front wheels (dang fwd), and was SO focused on what I was doing that I didn't notice that the camaro next to me had gotten sideways and almost drove himself into me ... I had one of my worst times ever (10.3), but I'm sure the camaro driver caught hell from his buddies cause he only ran a 9.9 ... remember, this is only an eighth mile track
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
On street tires. 25 PSi would be a good setting. Don't do a burn out on street tires! just a quick spin to clean them off will due. Launch at about 2500 RPMs while feathering the clutch. Leave on the third yellow. Dont wait for the lights to turn green. This will help your reaction time. 13 flat or better is probably optimistic if your stock but good luck to you.
Exactly what Bluebeast said. Try between 1800 and 2500 depending on the prep on the track. When you get everything perfect it's a 13.1-13.3 unless you have great weather (50-60 degrees and sunny with a good barometer) then 13.0's and high 12's happen. Shift at 6100 in first, the tach is slow. 6200-6300 on the 2-3 and hit 6400 to redline before you 3-4. Watch out for the rev limiter, it's pretty tight on the redline, 6700 or 6800 I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in