Drags - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drags

I took my 04' goat to the drags for the first time last night and had an absolute blast. This is the first manual car I have ever owned. Just drove standard farm truck before. Man I suck at shifting worse than I knew. I was turning 15's (or worse when missing gears). Alot of the time it was because I just sat there and spun the wheels through 1st and 2nd gears. I went and dug out $50 worth of rubber from the wheel wells a minute ago. Another guy has been turning mid 14's in his new GTO. So I have work to do but man, what a blast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:24 PM

Good job for taking your baby to the strip. Try the old fast idle/bog it off the line trick. The car may lurch off the line, then you can roll down as the car gains speed.
Practice.....practice......practice makes perfect. Youll have her into the thirteens in no time.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 05:26 PM

what mph were you turnig alon with 60 ft?

Glad to see you had fun... dont worry you will only get faster

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

With a terrible reaction time of 1.317 I had a time of 2.315 @60ft. Didn't say the mph. at that distance. I sucked but had a blast. It seemed that if I didn't spin wildly that I would miss a gear. I took my big block 68' Camaro and family members took there 71' big block Chevelle and 97' Trans Am. We traded out cars and raced each other and had a blast. MY 17 year old cousin ( a girl) was the only one brave enough to ask to race the GTO. I told her how much that I love her and there was NO WAY it was going to happen.
I'll go back and get better. But not sure about 13's cause I'm scared to be ruff enough on the 6-speed to do it. I'll have to be more manly.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:35 AM

Blue... What city / state are you racing in?? A drag racers time will vary a good amount with a high or low altitude. Also the temporature and humidity makes a big differences.

Don't worry about hurting your transmission. Just don't be slipping the clutch.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Amarillo, Texas
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:39 AM

I will be going to the strip the second weekend in October. Rumor has it that very low 14's to high 13's are doable. We will see, i have alot of drag race experiance, but not with a 6spd.
I am going to take her to an auto-x this weekend in Pontiac Mi. If any Michigan people are near by stop in and say hi. She's a little heavy for auto-x but what the heck it will be fun racing a rear drive car for a change.
Joe
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 PM

i bought my gto on a friday night, and had it at US 41 drag way in morocco indiana saturday night, i too had a helluva time with the gears, but i must brag on this one, not only did i kick it out of first right off the line and about killed it, but an svt focus had about 70 yards on me, i still passed him like he was sitting still for a 15.7 run, the goat is one helluva car, the heads and intake have soo much potential, with a simple cam, and timing, i think 500 hp is possible
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertgoat
i bought my gto on a friday night, and had it at US 41 drag way in morocco indiana saturday night, i too had a helluva time with the gears, but i must brag on this one, not only did i kick it out of first right off the line and about killed it, but an svt focus had about 70 yards on me, i still passed him like he was sitting still for a 15.7 run, the goat is one helluva car, the heads and intake have soo much potential, with a simple cam, and timing, i think 500 hp is possible
Good on ya!

Although it looks like your rubber it's not really. It's everyone elses combined that heats up and sticks to your car from the burn out area. I freaked the first time I washed my car after a race too and saw this! It's only 1/4 your rubber ha-ha!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 08:31 PM

Northstar Power in my 96 Cadillac Seville STS

Guys, the GTO is hitting 15's? Good Lord, my 96 STS hits mid 14's. I thought the GTO had more than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in