Encountered a 2011 Impreza WRX STI - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Encountered a 2011 Impreza WRX STI

A young guy in a brand-new Subaru Impreza WRX STI (all-wheel drive, 0-60 around 4.7-5.0 seconds) tested me twice last night . . . and lost. Quick little bugger, that Impreza. I lept ahead both times and stayed there, but he wasn't too far back. Kinda nice to see that the old gal (70,000 miles on my '05 now) still gets up and goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zdeuce4
wish there were more gtos around here to play with when i had my other car.. 430whp cobra only beat me by half a car after about 4 runs.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Kid View Post
A young guy in a brand-new Subaru Impreza WRX STI (all-wheel drive, 0-60 around 4.7-5.0 seconds) tested me twice last night . . . and lost. Quick little bugger, that Impreza. I lept ahead both times and stayed there, but he wasn't too far back. Kinda nice to see that the old gal (70,000 miles on my '05 now) still gets up and goes.
Were you racing from a roll or stop? Do you have any mods?

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 AM

Nice kill. I've killed about 3 myself (with just headers, cai, and cat-back at the time.....would just slay one now but haven't seen any since new engine build). Out of the hole, unless you have sticky ass tires they'll put a car to car and a half on you quick. It doesn't take long though, you reel them in, pass them up, and just keep on going.

If you are already at highway speed and get up beside one and you both take off, it's not even close, you just walk away from them. They don't have the torque to plow through the air at speed like we do, nor the horsepower to keep them there. I've had a similar experience with and Evo and a SRT4 (no offense Bluebeast).

I haven't come across the new body style STI yet (the fugly ass one that looks like a crossover/hatback/souped-up minivan-thingy. I've heard they have similar performance to the boxy body style with the giant wing on the back that we're all used to.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Stock EVO's and STI's are pretty quick out of the hole. Just like anything else they can be modded too. I know there are a few around here that have 350-400awhp. That may not seem much to some of ya, but with less weight and awd it might put a hurtn' on ya.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
Stock EVO's and STI's are pretty quick out of the hole. Just like anything else they can be modded too. I know there are a few around here that have 350-400awhp. That may not seem much to some of ya, but with less weight and awd it might put a hurtn' on ya.
I agree. Throw a little money into an already boosted car and they can get tricky. But the stock turbo 4 bangers out there dont have the chops to keep up with a GTO from a roll. Most trap in the 100-102 range. Even the 5.7 will do a few better than that thru the 1/4.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
I know this, if I don't have enough room to get over 100, even with the Z06 I'm usually not running any all wheel drive car from a dig.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 PM

IMO, AWD is a double-edged sword. Gives you the advantage on a dig (matter of debate), but is a handicap once you're moving. I doubt you'll ever see me buy something with it. Even a 4X4 truck is hard to justify.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
IMO, AWD is a double-edged sword. Gives you the advantage on a dig (matter of debate), but is a handicap once you're moving. I doubt you'll ever see me buy something with it. Even a 4X4 truck is hard to justify.
I don't think it's hardly a disadvantage at all. Just look at the new Audi S4, R8, Lamborghini, etc.

I think it's the weight and with the Evo/STi cars, gearing and lag being a problem. Unless of course their system is more parasitic than the Audi which would be an interesting comparison.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
Depends on what car/system your talking about. Some are AWD all the time, some are "part time". I don't think its a disadvantage once your moving unless your only talking about stright line what most Americans only know. Systems like in the GTR, EVO, STI, ect. move the power around to where it needs it. For example older and maybe the newer R35 GTR was mostly RWD, Audi's I think is full time AWD, most cars that are full time have a ~60/40 split.

Last edited by GM4life; 12-14-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in