Extreme Speeding - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Extreme Speeding

Was Channel surfing last night and I came across Debra Norville in a segment called Extreme Speeding and how it is on the rise. The segment showed Italian cars doing triple digits while filming the racing. One guy actually was filming his speeding at over 150, Another had a shot at 200. The segment was highlighting this street extreme speeding in the NYC and LA areas.

This group in LA had a club just for extreme speeding on the public streets. I think their club name was something like "life after the 1/4 mile" . There were even interviews with several of these drivers. Part of me was thinking "Cool" as they showed Ferrari's and Lambo's racing each other while other speeders were filming it. Another part of me was thinking how dangerous it is to get addicted to this thrill when there are so many drivers that can't comprehend closing speeds like that and just pull in front of you.

Did anyone happen to record/tivo this (11/18 on whatever show Norville does) ?

Or just to generate posts - How do you feel about Extreme Speeding on Public roads. As a public forum - responses must be tempered but on my commute I never see Extreme Speeders , I seem to pass everyone at the Goats 80-90 cruise mode. I do see some 0-60 contests but ES is so difficult with the FLA traffic that driver skill alone limits the activity. From the show- ES is on the rise and has Law Enforcement Honestly Concerned...

Last edited by Xcommuter; 11-19-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 10:23 PM

I have his some high speeds and I have a friend of mine that got his E55 to 193mph and taped it. But it was REALLY REALLY late at night and there were people where he started, a spot in between and one where he stopped about 2 miles down IIRC and they all made sure there were no cars in front of him and were all very suspicious of any cars going the other way. Still not safe by ANY means, but at least he took other people's safety into consideration. Doing it amongst traffic is just plain stupid.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 10:24 PM

http://www.vodcars.com/media/videos/....php?vidid=579
The one with the blue vette is my brother

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcommuter
Was Channel surfing last night and I came across Debra Norville in a segment called Extreme Speeding and how it is on the rise. The segment showed Italian cars doing triple digits while filming the racing. One guy actually was filming his speeding at over 150, Another had a shot at 200. The segment was highlighting this street extreme speeding in the NYC and LA areas.

This group in LA had a club just for extreme speeding on the public streets. I think their club name was something like "life after the 1/4 mile" . There were even interviews with several of these drivers. Part of me was thinking "Cool" as they showed Ferrari's and Lambo's racing each other while other speeders were filming it. Another part of me was thinking how dangerous it is to get addicted to this thrill when there are so many drivers that can't comprehend closing speeds like that and just pull in front of you.

Did anyone happen to record/tivo this (11/18 on whatever show Norville does) ?

Or just to generate posts - How do you feel about Extreme Speeding on Public roads. As a public forum - responses must be tempered but on my commute I never see Extreme Speeders , I seem to pass everyone at the Goats 80-90 cruise mode. I do see some 0-60 contests but ES is so difficult with the FLA traffic that driver skill alone limits the activity. From the show- ES is on the rise and has Law Enforcement Honestly Concerned...
What they're doing is no different than playing Russian roulette. One day, their luck will run out. And it's unfortunate that it's going to take someone losing their life before these fools realize the danger of this thrill.

It's amazing how the word "stupidity" can be used in place of "thrill" and the meaning is still the same.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:58 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
although not completely relevant, I noticed that while cruising on route 40 in TN yesterday, people do 90-110 like its nothing and there are NO cops. Frankly, when 10-15 cars are doing that speed on a mostly straight road, its not that hard to snap a pic. If I had my camera still (woman took it with her), I would have easily snapped a memory card full of 100+ mph runs.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:29 PM

The Florida Turnpike between Kissimmee and Palm Beach/ West Palm area is an extremely fast paced road. I've set the cruise at 95-100 and been passed by as many cars as I passed.

The problem is not the speed, but the difference in speed between cars. If everyone is driving within 10 mph of each other, and everyone is doing 100mph, mostly that is a safe situation. There are some other variables, like safe distances between cars and road conditions etc.... but for the most part that is safe. Problemsarise when some people drive 65-70 in the 70 mph zone and others drive 110. The 110 guy doesn't realize how slow the other guy is going and the other guy doesn't realize how fast the 110 guy is going. Throw in left lane bandits and you have a recipe for a pile-up or a bad accident.

IMO 150-200 mph should not be attempted on public roads. The exception to that would be a situation like the middle of the desert in Nevada on a straight flat piece of road with not a car in sight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 01:24 AM

Yeah, on the I-5 past the grapevine out in CA its dead straight and smooth for many miles. I heard somewhere that that particular stretch of freeway was designed for 100mph speed limits, but we're relegated to a "Yugo-friendly" 70mph. However, flat and straight doesn't prevent Mr. CHP officer from camping behind one of the overpasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in