FINALLY got my Evo race - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FINALLY got my Evo race

It was an '05 Evo, no special edition or anything, just regular ol' plain Jane Evo. I had met the guy before and we talked about the cars a little. He actually test drove a Goat before he got the Evo, but couldn't get the dealer to deal with him. Apparently the dealer told him that the Employee discount deal didn't apply to GTO's, and he wouldn't come off the $33,000. ANYWAY, he came out to our meet tonight. Afterwards I was turning right, back to my place and he was going straight. I get on it around the corner, and the next thing I know, there is Evo all up in my rear veiw and he gets up next to me and says, "We gotta make a run or two!" And I couldn't disagree, so out to "the spot" we go.

We make a couple 45 rolls on the way out to "the spot" and I put a solid 2.5 cars on him to 100 both times. He thought it was more like 3, but I always underestimate the gap. Then we get out to "the spot" to make a couple runs from a dig.

Run 1: I spin CRAZY through 1st and a little of 2nd, but he bogged so he only had 1 car on me. I pulled past him in 2nd and then on to about 2 cars by 110ish.

Run 2: He has an AWESOME launch, and I spin again, but feather the gas and hook up and start to pull. THEN I miss second .

Run 3: I launch REALLY easy with a fair amount of clutch to keep from spinning and he bogs. I hear him yell an explative over both of our cars, but he still gets a car on me, but I reel him back in like the 1st run, but take it to 125, and 3 cars.

So 5 runs, GTO 4 Evo 1. But he is an awesome guy, and he asked me if I'd take him for a ride at the meet on Tuesday, and I couldn't say no, as long as I get a ride in the Evo. Hopefully he'll get some mods on it soon and we can run again. Those things BLAST off the line when its driven right. I mean I expected that, but damn, I've never seen it on the street! I wish I would have hit second on that 2nd run, it would have been interesting.

Last edited by slonlo_350; 11-12-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 05:31 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Imagine the damage you could have done with a set of drag radials!! Great kill though
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:44 AM

Great Run man!!!
Yea I have yet to run against an EVO, most of them seem to know what a GOAT can do so they keep their distance,
My Brother has a 04 Subaru WRX STI and I have yet to race him I think I can take him.
And my causin is coming home next week for leave from being shipped to the Hurricane Katrina relief. He said he's going to drive his 97 Supra home from his base in Arizona, hopefully thatll be a good run!!!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First of all, Nice kill

Yeah the power and the reputation of the goat as being a badass is truly getting out there. I guess a lot are realizing that the weight of the goat isn't that big of a factor after all. I keep hearing about how light other cars are, the all wheel drive, blah, blah, blah. When you factor in the power to weight ratio, the 400/400 that the goat has on tap, makes it on par if not better than most cars you wouldn't think of. Let's use a C5 as an example.

Mind you these are only averages so the numbers can vary. Also I don't want to hear about modded rides. When you test drive a car, it's stock. And what you feel during the test drive is what make you decide to buy the car. So what's modded out there isn't a factor now.

'05 GTO
3760 lbs. 400hp/400tq
3760 divided by 400 (for hp and tq) = 9.4 lbs per hp/tq

2000 - 2004 C5
3320 lbs. 350hp/350 tq. I could use the 345/350 rated '97 - '99 but I won't. But if you're wondering it's 9.62
3320 divided by 350 (for hp and tq) = 9.48 lbs per hp/tq

The Vette weighs in a bit heavier. Yeah, you couldn't feel the weight difference, but on race day every bit of weight counts. But regardless of that, they're pretty even.

Now the race comes down to the driver, weight of the car and driver, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. I'm sure that some of the losers are going, "How did that heavy bastard beat me?" Well, if they do the simple math, they'll see how.

As far as reputation. On the open freeway I pull along side an STi. I was in 3rd gear of course at around 65 mph as I was preparing to engage. The guy wouldn't even look my way let alone race. Countless '05 GT drivers have done the same... NOTHING! I was going along at a good clip one afternoon and I was coming up on a C5. The guy saw me coming and tried to take off but he had no chance because I was already moving pretty good. And as I approached and passed him, he let off and stayed at least a mile behind. A guy that I stomped in his SL500 pulled beside me in traffic one day in his Maxima and yelled to me, "Man that's one of the baddest rides on the streets". As we met again down the road, he says,"Oh, I remember you now. You beat me pretty bad one day when I was drivin my Benz". But we both understood that his ride is heavy and under powered compared to the goat. He was pretty cool but regardless he said he was pretty pissed that I had beaten him so easily. He said that because of the ass whooping I gave him, he's gonna buy a GTO. Look like we're gonna have another member of the family pretty soon

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I have a hard time getting people to run too. Also its hard finding races that are gonna be close. They are either alot slower or alot faster. Its cool and all to just unmercifully whoop someone, but its much more fun to have a fender to fender race that you have to work for. I raced my friends '01 Cobra and we were DEAD EVEN from 55-120 when I INCHED ahead. And I mean literally inches. That was a good race (he has a bunch of mods). Now when people start running their mouth its fun to destroy em, but most people are cool.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ
First of all, Nice kill

Yeah the power and the reputation of the goat as being a badass is truly getting out there. I guess a lot are realizing that the weight of the goat isn't that big of a factor after all. I keep hearing about how light other cars are, the all wheel drive, blah, blah, blah. When you factor in the power to weight ratio, the 400/400 that the goat has on tap, makes it on par if not better than most cars you wouldn't think of. Let's use a C5 as an example.

Mind you these are only averages so the numbers can vary. Also I don't want to hear about modded rides. When you test drive a car, it's stock. And what you feel during the test drive is what make you decide to buy the car. So what's modded out there isn't a factor now.

'05 GTO
3760 lbs. 400hp/400tq
3760 divided by 400 (for hp and tq) = 9.4 lbs per hp/tq

2000 - 2004 C5
3320 lbs. 350hp/350 tq. I could use the 345/350 rated '97 - '99 but I won't. But if you're wondering it's 9.62
3320 divided by 350 (for hp and tq) = 9.48 lbs per hp/tq

The Vette weighs in a bit heavier. Yeah, you couldn't feel the weight difference, but on race day every bit of weight counts. But regardless of that, they're pretty even.

Now the race comes down to the driver, weight of the car and driver, gearing, aerodynamics, etc. I'm sure that some of the losers are going, "How did that heavy bastard beat me?" Well, if they do the simple math, they'll see how.

As far as reputation. On the open freeway I pull along side an STi. I was in 3rd gear of course at around 65 mph as I was preparing to engage. The guy wouldn't even look my way let alone race. Countless '05 GT drivers have done the same... NOTHING! I was going along at a good clip one afternoon and I was coming up on a C5. The guy saw me coming and tried to take off but he had no chance because I was already moving pretty good. And as I approached and passed him, he let off and stayed at least a mile behind. A guy that I stomped in his SL500 pulled beside me in traffic one day in his Maxima and yelled to me, "Man that's one of the baddest rides on the streets". As we met again down the road, he says,"Oh, I remember you now. You beat me pretty bad one day when I was drivin my Benz". But we both understood that his ride is heavy and under powered compared to the goat. He was pretty cool but regardless he said he was pretty pissed that I had beaten him so easily. He said that because of the ass whooping I gave him, he's gonna buy a GTO. Look like we're gonna have another member of the family pretty soon

You're about a 100lbs heavy on the C5. I tried when I had my GTO to get someone with a stock C5 to run me at the track. I couldn't. They just didn't want to know that the LS2 GTO is at the equal to the C5 in straight line performance. The way I saw it was C5 with 2.73 gears and an a4 would get beat. A C5 with 3.15 gears and a4 would be drivers race with slight advantage to the GTO. C5 6m would have an advantage over the GTO, but be so close as to be a drivers race.
But weight does matter, the C6 weighs 3130 and has the same LS2 and there are guys bone stock running 12.4's. Most are 12.8-12.9 while the GTO most run 13.3-13.4. Some guys have cracked the 12's but are the rarety. Guy's with DR's and a few mods run 12.6-12.8 with the GTO, but with the C6 and the same mods you get to knock on the 11's door.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:39 PM
big_mike

but hey, at least GTO guys pay a LOT less than that C6 guy...
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mike
but hey, at least GTO guys pay a LOT less than that C6 guy...
I gotta tell you what I did the other night. Woke up and couldn't sleep. Went out to the garage to check out the car. I didn't have the key FOB with me so i couldn't open it. Pissed I went back and grabbed the Fob and walked back to the car. I grabbed number 2 which I hadn't programed yet so it didn't say hi to me on the DIC. So now that it DIC'd me off I had to get FOB 1. I got to wondering what would happen if I walked up to the car with both in the same pocket. Out of 12 times it found FOB 2 eight to four over FOB1. Toys, that's why you get a Vette.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:54 PM
big_mike

Guess they are programmed now huh?

Gotta watch out for those late night DIC chats though......

Last edited by big_mike; 11-12-2005 at 05:43 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Does anybody know how to delete a post that you made. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in