First kill and fist time being killed with new engine build - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First kill and fist time being killed with new engine build

I got my car back Wednesday from the speed shop, got my 228/232 .595 lift 114+2 LSA cam in, LS3 cnc ported heads with hollowstem valves and titanium retainers, FAST LSXr 102 mm intake manifold, TCI Breakaway torque converter, and some other stuff put in and took it out to the local hang out/cruise in last night. The car put down 455 hp, 415 trq on the dyno so my buddy with an A4 goat who knew everybody there went fishing through the crowd looking for similar numbers to find me a good race. He came back with a Trailblazer SS on nitrous and exhaust cutouts, didn't know if he did anything to the motor or not, and a WS6 with a Texas Speed MS3 cam, Texas Speed cnc ported 5.3 litre heads, 373 gears, and nitrous. The trans am agreed to run without the spray so off we went to go 3 wide at the local race spot.

We did the 3 honk thing and launched from a 45 mph roll. The poor Trailblazer didn't stand a chance, my first kill, enough about him. The WS6 immediately took a car lead on me. Then he slowly stretched it out to a car and a half around 90 mph. By 115-120 we were pacing each other inch for inch. At 130 I had started to creep back up to him and at 145 I closed the gap to 1 car length and he shut down. I don't know if my top end would have caught him or not. I do know it was DAMN close, another 10 seconds and I should've been at his door. The first run we ran out interstate. The second run had the same results but there was some traffic a 1/4 mile up the road or so and he shut down around 120. I was farther back that time because I didn't get enough time to claw my way back up, but getting killed is getting killed, aint gonna bitch about it.

Everybody down here is putting ported 5.3 litre heads on their LS F-bodies. They were shocked when they heard that I did not decide to go the 5.3 route and opted for the L92/LS3 route instead. They were equally shocked/appalled when they saw I was NOT running at least a 150 shot of NOS. What's the big deal about the 5.3 L heads anyway? I must've been absent the day they went over that one in gear head school...

Last edited by dustyminpin; 03-27-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Did you spray yours?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I don't have spray. My car is my daily driver. It's the only vehicle I got besides my wife's truck and my step-kid's car. I'm scared to death of nitrous.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
What's this then??
"They were equally shocked/appalled when they saw I was running at least a 150 shot of NOS."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

LOL, sorry, I misstyped that. Trying to run 4 CNCs at work and hang on the forum at the same time. Meant they were shocked I didn't have nitrous. Their attitude is "spray everything." They said the specs on my cam were a nitrous cam not a motor cam. Funny thing is, that's what Texas Speed hand picked for me in my cam-heads package when I told them I wanted a strong bad ass daily driver but nothing radical. So I didn't argue with them when they called it a nitrous come, I'd like to think the guys at Texas Speed know better then these street guys do. I will edit the post to make it correct.

Last edited by dustyminpin; 03-27-2010 at 02:09 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Anybody's thoughts on the 5.3 litre heads?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM

About what did that cost for you? I want to do something to the motor on mine and wanted to get an idea of what im gunna be spending. Maybe ill just take out the motor and rebuild it completely. So many choices...

Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 PM

With your setup you have more than enough. The 5.3 heads are truck heads, in stock form they have a smaller combustion chamber than the LS1/6 heads and have the same intake and exhuast volume as LS1 heads. So ported 5.3L will offer a bump in compression on a LS1 and more flow. It's just a cheaper alternative than other aftermarket heads. Don't worry you can hog the hell out of 5.3 heads and still will not match your heads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in