First race... and I lost - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First race... and I lost

Well I don't normally do much racing on the roads, but last weekend I was out on a nice 4 lane stretch with no other cars around when a 04 cobra popped up in my rearview. He caught up and pulled up next to me, we slowed down to about 60, I dropped it into 3rd, he gave the signal and we took off. Now my exhaust is pretty loud (just deleted resonaters and put in bullet mufflers) and his was really loud, but over all that all I heard was his supercharger spooling!! I got a short jump on him for a few seconds, we were bumper to bumper till I had to shift into 4th, I held on for a few more seconds and then he started to pull away.
We ran one more time and it was the same thing and I pulled up next to him after the second time and gave him a thumbs up.. he smiled and yelled 500 Horse Power and pointed to his car.
I don't know what all he did to it, but other than the exhaust mine is stock so I was pretty happy that he didn't just blow me out of the water!! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 AM

The '03-'04 Cobras are very responsive to even the simplest of mods...many appear stock but are actually putting out a lot more than factory. Be careful. By the way, sorry, but I just have to do this:

Of course if you were BOTH running forced induction then you would have had a good chance at taking him.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Damn Cobra's.........................

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM

If Grey-Goat were running Forced Induction also... chances are pretty much 100% he would have blown by the Cobra. Gotta love the perks of already having a strong engine and not a 4.6L S/C from the factory.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I've had a few friends that have cobras, and I have always been impressed with how much power they can put out. I like the looks of the new cobras very much, just not the interiors.

I didn't figure I was going to win, but I think I did surprise him that he couldn't pull away from me right away!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceEater
Gotta love the perks of already having a strong engine and not a 4.6L S/C from the factory.
I miss the 5.0.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Goat
I've had a few friends that have cobras, and I have always been impressed with how much power they can put out. I like the looks of the new cobras very much, just not the interiors.

I didn't figure I was going to win, but I think I did surprise him that he couldn't pull away from me right away!!
Well stock for stock the GTO and Cobra are so even it all depends on how well of a driver each has. Now though, if you do put that S/C on the GTO just wave buh-bye to every Cobra that tries to run you.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 AM

The '03 and '04's are a nice looking car IMO. The interior looks like crap, but I saw one at the store the other day and I am jealous of how much rubber they are able to store in back.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:39 AM

The interior looks like crap and has horrible ergonomics because Ford had been using the same platform to build Mustangs since 1979, which is why your hand crosses three time zones to shift and you can't chance a CD unless you are in 2nd, 4th, 6th or reverse.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft
I miss the 5.0.
A 305c.i.d. Fan HUH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in