First time out for Maximental - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First time out for Maximental

My best run was a 13.67 @103.37 mph. I was running against a SRT Dodge that time. I am consistently getting a 2.1 60' time, which is ok, considering, but I have read where it should be more like 1.8 if I really wanna hit lower #s. I am finding the feel of grip/tirespin/wheelhop during my launch. I was running my tire pressure @ 25 psi, I think I might try to go a little lower next time, and see how that works. This was my first time on a track, ever. I had fun.
I met a guy with an '02? Firehawk, he was running in the low 14s most runs. He beat me the first time we raced. He had his best run of the night, @ 13.8, but I beat him twice after that. We both liked racing against each other, he was pretty cool.
I ran against a Cobra Mustang too. He ran a 13.3xx. I think I could take him if I had more practice.
I took a WRX. That was a very close, very cool race, and I won by .3 sec. I thought he had me.
Some of those SRTs are pretty fast. My first two runs were with a SRT that was running right around 13.3. He ate me up. Once again, though, if I had more practice, I think I could take him.
This racing stuff is addictive. I had alot of fun. The guys @ the track in Portland were really cool. Several of the staff talked to me about my car. Most of them are Pontiac guys. They were happy to see me. I give my day a 10 out of 10.

Happy Motoring,

Maximental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Fantastic. Glad you had a great time. ET will definitely improve as the number of laps put in increases. BTW, thanks for the advice on the B&M stick.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Horse meat

Went to Portland again tonight. I got a whopping 3 runs in the track was really busy. Everyone was complaining about the condition of the track.
My first run I took an '05 Mustang GT. My second run I lost to a Grand National- wow! that v6 was cookin' he ran a 13.3xx. My last run I ran against a woman in a 90s Mustang, I felt kinda sorry for her, she tripped the red light, and I smoked her pretty bad. Oh, well, that's racing.
I couldn't get back into the rythm I had going last night, and the track was just way too busy to get many runs in. I think Friday nights are less crowded, and thus a better night to go. I ran high 13s, and still hit my 2.1 60' times.
I think my goat likes horse meat, now if I could just get it to eat a couple of those pesky snakes....

Maximental

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 07:51 AM

You have to remember those srt's are no joke. The are turbocharged or supercharged i forget which one, and they are atleast 1000pds lighter then you. They have a great power to weight ratio. Can i assume you have no modifications. SO with a few small mods you should be runnin in the high 12's. Good runs anyway, and some good kills to
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 AM

A good set of drag radials will help a bunch on the launches, and they react better to lower tire pressures than your street tires. Oh, and practice, practice, practice at the lights.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSGTO
You have to remember those srt's are no joke. The are turbocharged or supercharged i forget which one, and they are atleast 1000pds lighter then you. They have a great power to weight ratio. Can i assume you have no modifications. SO with a few small mods you should be runnin in the high 12's. Good runs anyway, and some good kills to
SRT-4's are turbo'd and they weigh around 750 lbs lighter (very heavy fwd car!!), I used to have one that ran consistent 12.5's with less than $2k in mods!! Loved the car hated the torque steer and fwd, I'm slowly working past those numbers in my goat but I'm still trying to learn how to "drive" the goat!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I thought about drag radials, but

I am considering some drag radials, but every time I think about it, this little red flag comes up in my mind. I start thinkin "burned up clutch," "Cure the wheel hop first," "Broken driveshsaft," "Broken half shafts." I think I would rather work to improve other things first. Right now I am thinking that getting over the wheel hop problem would be really nice, so I could launch harder. I think doing the BMR drivetrain upgrade would be very good too.
I might actually have the ability to do this stuff fairly soon. I just got promoted @ work, and with a much better job, I get a 3-5 $/hr raise (not sure how much yet). I am going to be an apprentice Millwright. If things work out, I will be doing things much sooner than I ever imagined. You can expect to see some cool things in my posts.

Happy Motoring,

Maximental

Last edited by Maximental; 05-03-2005 at 11:37 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:03 AM

Congrats on the promotion! Drag radials would definately cause more traction, thereby increasing the things that you mentioned to break. But that is the fun of drag racing a manual transmission. This and the consistency factor is why our "fun cars" are automatics.

As for the wheel hop, I'm not too familiar with IRS, so I'm not sure how you would correct that. I'll have to do my homework.

Good luck to you, and hopefully we'll meet up at the track sometime.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

So,

what kind of times do you run?

Maximental
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM

The Firebird has yet to make a trip down the track. I have a few more issues to work through before I chance that. Right now I'm thinking of selling it and looking for a '69 GTO or LeMans.

The wife's current Mustang will make it's first trip very soon, probably at Pacific Raceways. Right now it feels like a mid-15 second car, but it is a stock 5-liter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in