Freeway Footsie w/ a SRT-4 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Freeway Footsie w/ a SRT-4

Not really a kill story since the game was so small, but I was annoyed.

OK...there I was last night minding my own business w/ the cruise at 80 mph on the 5 freeway northbound, about 4 miles or so before the 5-99 split. A kid in a black SRT-4 *#$**#$**#$**#$*Neon scoots up on my right side, slows, darts forward, slows again.

Obviously, he wants to play.

I wasn't really into it. My new tires are going on tomorrow, and I don't like the way the old right rear rubber looks.

But there he is, jumping back and forth like a spastic colon.

WTF, I think. A lesson should be taught.

I turn reach up to the V1's volume up to full and drop it into 5th. I wait until the Neon was even with me, turn to look at the guy in the SRT, shrug, and slap it into 4th while simultaneously punching the go-pedal.

Voom.

I pull a car length ahead...but those little Dodges are pretty fecking quick. He's sorta staying with me...something I didn't expect. winding up, I pop into 5th. The Holden is definitely strolling away. The Overspeed Chime pings on, telling me I've crossed over 125 mph. Traffic is ahead, but there's a hole that can be threaded. Sixth. Where the hell is he?

Glancing between the mirrors, he was about three lengths back, shifting from the left lane to the center- behind me- and back again. Playing in my blind spot. Feck it- he's behind and not likely to close distance...so I thread the needle at what later DGPS logging would finally show was 134 mph.

Figuring I had showed him what Aussie Metal can do, I back off. Predictably, he shoots ahead, gets hard on the brakes, and pulls alongside, smiling. This was at about 110.

By now, I just wanted him to go away....so I drop back into 5th and floor it, repeating the spanking...and back off as he starts to engage in the same dumbassery, fecking around where I can't see him, as before.

it was then I deciced that this was stupid. I have tires at the end of their life and a n00bie pinhead who seems to enjoy playing hide-n-go seek at airliner landing speed. Enough.

I like running fast with another car on the freeway. It's fun....like with that G35 the other night. But, dammit- there are rules. When going in the felony speeds, stay the hell out of the other guy's blind spot. Bad things happen in a right hurry, what with you overtaking traffic at twice their speed and stuff.

So...Little Boy Neon pulls alongside again while I wa still at ~100, grinning and doing the spastic colon thing again. He points ahead...and I shake my head in the negative. He keeps looking at me. I point at him, pantomime driving with the "air steering wheel", and sign the thumbs-down. "You drive like sh1t." He flashes me a dirty look and spazzes off.

Some people just gotta learn the rules of driving like a crazy person.

Oh...and those little SRT-4s are pretty fast.

Last edited by Groucho; 08-17-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:39 PM

Hey man I feel ya. The difference between you (and me) and him is age and miles under the belt. You realize what a high stakes game that is, and he obviously doesnt. I wouldnt have even threaded the needle, the fear of a mistake is so strong in my head at those times it actually takes some of the fun out of it. Glad to hear you kept him behind you though!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah...but I should really know better. I recognize that wasn't the brightest thing to do.

However, I spend the better part of four hours (sometimes more) on the road every single day...and I get bored.

I have joined NASA...sort of AA for speedoholics, I guess. I need to get to the track to take out some of these more primitive urges in a safer way.

But these cars are sooooooo much fun at speed....and it's a bitch being the gunslinger that every punk wants to take a shot at.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
Hey Groucho, just out of curiosity, how much is Premium costing there now? Our 93 Premium, yes 93, is running $2.70 to $2.95 a gal now down here in SoFL. It's getting rather pricy to tromp these twits but still gratifying.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 PM

Be cautious...... I handed a couple of "Holden's best" there asses in my SRT-4......that fecker would pull hard all the way to 160! And no just like my car now she wasn't stock... by any means!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
Be cautious...... I handed a couple of "Holden's best" there asses in my SRT-4......that fecker would pull hard all the way to 160! And no just like my car now she wasn't stock... by any means!
I KNEW you were going to chime in here when I read the original post!!! You know Dodge could teach Pontiac a thing or 2 about drivetrains in small cars, a-la the new Solstice. Imagine that little bastard with the SRT-4 Stage II drivetrain in it. Wooo Hooo! Instead they opted for the nice, smiley little Eco-Tec. "Hello! All my gay friends call me 'Eco', lets go hug a tree"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlfirefighter
Hey Groucho, just out of curiosity, how much is Premium costing there now? Our 93 Premium, yes 93, is running $2.70 to $2.95 a gal now down here in SoFL. It's getting rather pricy to tromp these twits but still gratifying.
$2.98/gal for 91.

I need a lower-key car...feeding my Goat (and taking on these idjits) is getting 'spensive...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
I KNEW you were going to chime in here when I read the original post!!! You know Dodge could teach Pontiac a thing or 2 about drivetrains in small cars, a-la the new Solstice. Imagine that little bastard with the SRT-4 Stage II drivetrain in it. Wooo Hooo! Instead they opted for the nice, smiley little Eco-Tec. "Hello! All my gay friends call me 'Eco', lets go hug a tree"
...... holy sh*t you're correct! Or at least put the damn Cobalt SS motor in it (tree hugger with a huffer on it...), now you watch, someone out there that loves the damn Ecotec is going to flame the hell out of us!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Thank you very much. At one point I was considering a new Solstice - but you sure as hell just blew that one out of the water.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceEater
Thank you very much. At one point I was considering a new Solstice - but you sure as hell just blew that one out of the water.
I think they are planning to release a higher HP version of it in it's second model year, but I can't remember the amount; somewhere in the 200's, I think. That might not be too bad as I believe the car is supposed to be pretty light (a la Lotus Elise).

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in