Fun at the track - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fun at the track

Went to the track tonight for test and tune.

I was talking to a real nice guy with a Roush 427. The car was blood red with a silver stripe package. Those cars are real expensive, his was a 2007 and he paid 52,000, but I think he said the list was 59,000.

We ran each other twice, the first time he missed the 3-4 shift and a close race turned into me walking away. The second race was great. I took him by about half a car out of the hole. We held that way with less than a 1/4 car seesaw, till the 1000' mark, where I slowly started to pull to almost a full car on him by the end. 13.302 at 108.44 versus a 13.381 at 107.93.

We missed the line up for a rematch, but compared slips and I beat him on the 3rd trip, we each had very similar numbers to the second run. I ened up against an STI and played catch-up the whole stinking run. God I hate all-wheel drive out of the hole. I beat him by .11 and 6 mph, so I walked by him when I finally caught him.

It's neat to have people asking me what I did to the car to get the numbers I get out of it, and then be able to tell them it's stock. Most don't believe me it seems. The LT1/LT4 Vettes definately don't get the respect they deserve.

There were 2 GTO's at the track. An Impulse Blue/Blue 05 M6 that was modified a bit, headers, exhaust, shifter intake and DR's was what I could tell. I kept missing the opportunity to talk to the driver. He was running high 12's which was respectable for the night. I think the best I saw him pull was in the 12.8 range at a high 110. I think the driver mod would have netted another tenth or 2.

The other one was a black 04. He was on Nitrous. He had his fenders rolled and had some 315 DR's on the back. He was an A4 and he was all over the place in times. The best was 12.3 and the worst I saw was 13.1.

This is the last time I'm taking the C4 to the strip. That means I just missed the 12's with this car. I took my boss for a ride in it last week and he has been hounding me to sell it to him for a week now. He's never owned a performance car and this will be his 2nd stickshift. He knows what I paid for it, and he kept upping his offer till he got to a $3500 profit today. I took it.

My thoughts are, my Girlfriend is almost to the point of living with me. She has a C5 vert and I get to drive it. It's just as nice a tooling around in car as the C4. I really want a C6 Z06. At this point, it doesn't make sense to have a 1996 C4, a 2003 Cavalier, a 2002 C5 vert, and a 2004 Volvo S40
sitting around all the time. Then when I get the C6 Z06, I'll have 3 vettes and a 2 car garage. Her Vette won't be outside, and the Z06 definately won't be outside. That means the C4 would sit outside in the hot Florida sun. Seals and rubber parts would degrade real quick. The interior would fade and leather would break down. It would quickly become just another car instead of the special vehicle it is.

Saturday is the day we say goodbye. I'm definately going to miss this one much more than the C6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 AM

your stories have always made me want to get a c4 with the lt4. c4 has been one of my favorite vettes for years. too bad you are giving up your favorite one so far!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
2 words for you....
Car Port.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Nice thread/read. Why do I think you Boss is going to stack his new Corvette? Might be a good idea to give him a pointer or two since he has never owned a performance car. I would hate to see him try and duplicate your moves and end up hurt, or hurting someone else...My .02...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 PM

Sorry to see the Vette go but at least you'll get to see it. I can visit my 74 TA anytime I want. Best part is, the new owner is fixing things I was unable to do.
Its amazing what you can do if you own a Ford dealership.

A convertable will be nice to drive but I imagine it won't match your C4's speed. Someday, the Z06 will happen.

Good luck with the sale.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
I agree with PDQ GTO, Give him the general pointers about traction loss and everything. Goodluck with the sale!

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQ GTO View Post
Nice thread/read. Why do I think you Boss is going to stack his new Corvette? Might be a good idea to give him a pointer or two since he has never owned a performance car. I would hate to see him try and duplicate your moves and end up hurt, or hurting someone else...My .02...
I've mentioned it too him about the power the car has. I guess I'm not doing it in the right way, he seems offended whenever I try to bring up what to do if this or that happens. I'm kinda like Wing Nut, pretty darn blunt about things.

I found 2 brand new 2008 Z06's for under 70,000. One had a sticker of $80,120 , so it has everything pretty much.

I'm looking for a Jetstream blue with a light color interior. Atomic Orange would work and so would Quicksilver. I'd like to have the 3LT package with the leather and two tone. The really tough part is going to be following my plan. My guess is, when the ZR1 hits the showroom, the Z06 is going to be just another Vette. I'm thinking a leftover 08 Z06 will be had for mid to low 60's pretty easily in november. Especially with me being able to pay cash and the economy still being slow and people not buying cars like that too much. The question now is can I hold off till then.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:41 AM

I'm not a Vette person but the ZR1 seems to be worth the wait.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 PM

Nice!

There was an '07 C6 6M, non-Z51 with traction issues that trapped 111mph on 4/9 at Sears Point. A Roush SC'd Boss Mustang that looked real nice was also traction limited to mid-13s at 110mph.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in