G-Tech confirms my fears - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
G-Tech confirms my fears

Granted it was a miserably hot & humid FL afternoon. But my '05 6 speed could barely muster a 5.4 sec. 0-60 on my G-tech. I have gotten pretty good at launching my A4 WS6 ragtop and can get it anywhere from 4.9 to 5.4. But 5.1 being the norm. I only have 800 miles on the GTO. And to be honest I am not sure how to launch it. It is hard not to spin it. I wonder what the conditions for Car &Driver were to get a 4.8 sec. Nice sticky track and cooler day, or maybe just a real driver?

Even the wife was skepital that this car was as fast as the TA. I guess its not...at least yet. A little disappointing, but I am sure the LS2 needs some miles on it. The TA got faster with age.

I wish we had something like the "lid" to mod our GTOs like the F-bodys. I remember the day I got my Whisper lid for the TA (its only real mod.) I g-teched it 5 times, then changed the lid, and g-tech it 5 more times. It removed about 3 tenths from my 0-60 times. 15 minutes and $150. No warrenty concerns, what a great mod and bargin!

It has been a long time, but I think the TA g-teched about 5.4 or 5.5 when it was new too. So considering that, I guess I can't be too dissappointed. (Besides the GTO is a nicer car and less expensive!)

Mods are iniveitable. Do we have something like "the lid?"

'05 IB M6
'99 WS6 30th Anniv. (Daytona Lapcar #10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM

I've got 1800 miles on my 05 m6. I went to Gainesville with it 2 weeks in a row now. 1st week I ran 13.05 at 110, and this week was 12.89 at 109. It was hotter this week. I'm using 24-25lbs of air in the tires. I'm cutting real low 2.0 60', with little tire spin. I have no doubt in my mind that I'll see mid 12's with DR's.
I drove a couple GTO's and they really felt like they varied a lot. The first one I drove was definately not as strong as my 02 Z28. This one definately felt a lot stronger. Also, as you know, the LS motors really need to break-in to make full HP. A friend of mine in PA that owns a speed shop gained 15rwhp between 600 miles and 5000 miles on his 04.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 PM

G-timers don't like the fact that the rear end of the GTO squats so much on launch. It makes your times higher than they should be.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:02 PM

Don't worry about the G-Tech times. It can be a little difficult to get off the line fast in the GTO. It takes practice to get it right. I'm still learning. With my G-Tech I only made one run. With a bogged launch and some wheel hop I got 13.5 @ 109mph.

In my Modded WRX I was running 13.7 @ 102 to 13.2 @ 107 mph with my
G-tech. Thats a pretty big spread. Weather conditions seemed to really effect my times.

At the track my WRX ran 12.7 @ 108 mph a full second faster than some of my G- tech times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in