getting off the line - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
getting off the line

After tonight's events and that I'm going to the track this weekend whats the best way to launch? And whats the best amount of fuel to have? tonight I was running with about a quarter tank and couldnt get traction for crap off the start. whats the best way to launch? will more fuel help get traction any without slowing down to much?

Difflow diffuser, K&N intake, x pipe only exhaust, HO alternator, pioneer touch screen, 55w HID's, 35w fogs, halo/projector headlights, fender stripe, 5%-15% window tint, black lug nut caps, black side markers, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM

well are you doing all this on street tire's, if so then by letting about 10pnd of air out of the back tires will help with traction. just make sure you have a way to air them back up after you are thru racing. Now this is what i do when i run my stock tires at the track. i have a 6sp so i have to ride the clutch just a tine bit to keep from spinning the tires off the line. once i have achieve that the car is moving i can gouge on it. most of the time the track is prepped so i can just go at 5000rpm. but when it is not i have to baby my takeoff. as my car is modded it really makes no sense to run my car at the track with the stock tires on it. if i do get it to take off i will smoke the tires in 2nd and 3rd. it takes my dr's or drag radial's to make her go. i cannot wait to go back to the strip as i just put in a solid driveshaft and man what a difference on the low end. gobbs of more tq than with the stock rubber two piece shaft.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Weight is your enemy. Do not add gas hoping to make the car heavier in the rear to get better traction. It will just slow you down.

I'm not sure, I've been absent a bit, do you have an A4 or an M6.

A4 launch techniques.

Right foot on the gas, left on the brakes. apply just enough throttle to take up the slack in the torque convertor. When you think you see the bottom yellow turn on, side step the brake. The press the gas pedal about halfway fairly uickly and then roll your foot into for the rest of the travel of the pedal.

Never try to manually shift an A4 car. The computer is much better than you.

All cars with street tires.

Don't lower the air pressure too low or the tires will cup and you will get less traction. Try 25 lbs of air and play with it one pound at a time, either up or down, till you hit the sweet spot. Usually 22- 24 worked best for me with my 05 GTO.

M6 launch.

I've heard a bunch of different theories here as to RPM's and clutch technique. What has worked best for me on all the M6 cars that I've owned is to start at about 1800- 2000 rpm and if it bogs add more RPMS at launch.

I launch by doing a quick uptake on the clutch pedal, allowing fairly little slippage. The GTO is a heavy car and the clutch is a weak link. I then use the gas pedal to modulate my spinning on the tires, hoping to have almost no wheelspin while keeping the rpms at about 3000 as a minimum.

I was able to generate low 2.0x and a best of 1.96 60' using that technique on the stock street tires.

Find some where that is deserted and practice your 60' launch. Minimal wheelspin and no wheel hop are ideal. Also if you get wheelhop, don't try to drive through it. Chances are your run is already not going to be great if you let up some, so why chance breaking something.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

^good stuff. +1 rep. thank you. I have the A4 btw, I'll give this a good shot next time at the track.

Difflow diffuser, K&N intake, x pipe only exhaust, HO alternator, pioneer touch screen, 55w HID's, 35w fogs, halo/projector headlights, fender stripe, 5%-15% window tint, black lug nut caps, black side markers, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in