Got killed by a mustang - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got killed by a mustang

I was heading home from Jacksonville @ about 1 AM on a major highway when I see this black mustang come up in my rearview. We were doing about 40(speed limit was 35 at this point.) and we were the only two cars on the road. This thing was loud as hell. I got next to him at the light and I could clearly hear the lope of a cam. The guy had also added the decal "GT/SC" on the back of the car. It was a 99-04 model. I dont know if he was supercharged or not cause I couldnt hear the whine(the exhaust was LOUD). My mods are CAI/exhaust/tune with ported TB and intake.

The guy takes off from the light slowly and we get up to 35 again and he does the three honks. He jumped on it before me but when I hit it in first my nose stayed right by the passenger side fender. He was pulling on me VERY slightly. By the time we hit 80 my nose was at the middle of the passenger door and we both let off. We got to the next light and the guy asked me what my mods were and we shot the ****. I asked if he had a SC and he smiled and didn't say anything. Nice guy though. Gave me thumbs up and went on his way.

Am I wrong in thinking he should have done a little better? I was very happy with my car... I have not run it at the track yet but I think I should be well into the 12's with some good D/R's.

It was nice to run into a non cocky mustang driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM

My buddy has a vortech on his '02 stang, and some other pretty serious mods (including a viper spec T-56) his best run is a [email protected] on slicks. so I could see you keeping up with a less modified one i guess.

1966 GTO bored 389 Tri-Power, Powerglide(#'s Match)

{GTO, Lariat, Galaxie, Glastron, & Yamaha} -Tyler-
PURDUE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM

Nice run and good thing he wasn't one of those obnoxious stang owners. A cam to go along with your mods and you probably would have beat him

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg04gto View Post
Nice run and good thing he wasn't one of those obnoxious stang owners. A cam to go along with your mods and you probably would have beat him
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 PM

What are your mods OP? A Blown new edge mustang should be a low to mid 12 second car unless they have some insane amount of boost.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
What are your mods OP? A Blown new edge mustang should be a low to mid 12 second car unless they have some insane amount of boost.
Mods are Ported intake and TB, Dyno tune, headers, exhaust and CAI. I dont think he really had a supercharger cause when I asked him he didnt answer me. He would have beaten me by a lot more. I was surprised I kept up with him that well. Plus it was the 99-04 model not the newest one.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
Mods are Ported intake and TB, Dyno tune, headers, exhaust and CAI. I dont think he really had a supercharger cause when I asked him he didnt answer me. He would have beaten me by a lot more. I was surprised I kept up with him that well. Plus it was the 99-04 model not the newest one.
I spend way to much time on a mustang sight to know this but new edge refers to 99-04 models. 05 plus are S197 models. SN-95 models are from 1994 to 1998 (NOT good years for mustangs) and foxs or fox bodys are 1979 t0 93. The mods you mentioned should be good enough for mid to high 12's so I wouldn't rule out the stang having a blower.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
I spend way to much time on a mustang sight to know this but new edge refers to 99-04 models. 05 plus are S197 models. SN-95 models are from 1994 to 1998 (NOT good years for mustangs) and foxs or fox bodys are 1979 t0 93. The mods you mentioned should be good enough for mid to high 12's so I wouldn't rule out the stang having a blower.
Oh. Didnt know. I thought new edge would have been 05 and on. I dont know too much about the stangs. I figured if he really was blown it would have been much less close. I figure my goat for high 12's with my mods... Havent been to the track yet

I used to have a 99 GT that was pretty much stock. 5 speed car. I went 14.3-14.4 consistently with a K&N in that car.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
good thing he wasn't one of those obnoxious stang owners
Some of us are actually nice guys. There are a few seriously fast and heavily modded GTOs that run at our local strip. You have to have a built motor and lots of boost to keep up with them.

06GT, 76mm turbo @ 22 lbs boost, stroker built motor, 4r70w, alcohol inj sys

old times before recent engine rebuild and new power mods
10.0 @ 136

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Nice run. Glad to see he was nice about the whole thing.

2000 Mystic Teal Z28
1998 Black GTP sedan
2003 Monte Carlo LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in