User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Don

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The GTO and autocrossing

I am curious to know if any of you have tried autocrossing on of these. I traded an SVT Focus for my GTO and am going to go autocrossing Sunday. There are several thing that suggest that the GTO should hold its own but I guess I'll just have to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:05 PM

I think that the GTO should be a blast to autocross. The biggest thing that you will have to get used to are the differences in how the rear drive will handle compaired to the lighter fwd.

It's been several years since I've autocrossed, but I have run in both my Vette and my brother-in-law's Neon. I've always found that the rear drive requires you to set the car in the corner with the brake and allow the car to settle before powering off. The front drive is a little more able to drive through the corner, as long as you can keep the rear settled.

My best advice for you is to not worry about the times you are running the first few times at the track. Give yourself the chance to get a feel for the car before you start trying to be competative.

Most of all.....Good Luck and tell us how it goes..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:38 AM

Good question Don. I am also going auto-xing on Sunday. Should be a blast. I have been doing it for a few years but never with a rear drive car.
Are you in FS?

Joe

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 02:33 AM

Were are you going at??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Don

Where you ask?

Well I'm going to Lake Michigan College which is near Benton Harbor/St. Joseph Michigan which are in the SW corner of the state.
I live in the S. Bend Indiana area. It is a good place to go. I belong to the South Bend Region of the SCCA. I will be competeing in FS which ought to be fun although I may switch to STS in the future to compete against people on street tires. We also go to the Tire Rack's test track.
I'll post my results, good or bad.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM

I will be racing with the Detroit Region SCCA. The event will be held at The Pontiac Silverdome. I am running in TFS (street tire F stock).
There season ender is next month, also at the Dome. Big lot=Big track
Joe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Don

Results

First and most important, what a BLAST!! I think I finished third out of seven in my class. This car is a lot more fun than the SVT Focus it replaced. I believe that over time it will be easier to learn how to drive well than the SVT. There is a lot of potential to go fastand the autocross is a very good place to learn how the GTO works rather than at the drag strip or the street if you want to turn as well as go fast in a straight line. I am very pleased so far.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
The GTO SHOULD be a great competitor in FS, it out performs the Mach 1, which is fairly competitive this year. I look forward to getting the opportunity to race mine here soon.

I am curious to see how well the brakes perform due to the weight factor of the car. I'm very used to racing the '99 Corvette hardtop, which stops on a dime. Basically, I am going to have to put more effort into driving the GTO than the Vette. I'll need Hoosiers as well!

What have you noticed about the car? Is there a fair bit of understeer/oversteer? How easy does the back end snap around under throttle?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Don

I think that the GTO is going to be easy to throttel stear. I did one run with the TC and the other five with it off in order to use the throttel to more advantage. The breaks are good and should be able to give the control and hard breaking we need to autocross. I am going to the Tire Rack in S. Bend In. in a couple of weeks. this will be a really tight course so I will have a better idea of how things work. I have never used a car with this much power or rear wheel drive before so I am in a learning mode. I hope to hear what other people are experiencing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 AM

I also ran an auto-x last Sunday. I had a blast but didnt finish as well as i would have liked. I have only raced FWD cars so i would say that 60% of it was driver but if you want to compete in FS around hear the stock tires would have to go. Most everyone is running Falken Azenis. Thats what i was running on my VW. They are very sticky.
This race was a large coarse(55 sec) on older asphalt. I could lit the tires up at will. All in all the car handled very well for it's size and weight.
I didnt win but i know i had more fun than anyone there

I will be going to the strip on the 16th of October, I am near Flint Mi. If anyone is interested in going let me know.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in