Gto, let me down. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gto, let me down.

I went to the track on Saturday, it was a very cool day, not humid, just a little windy, perfect weather conditions. I was hoping to run a 13.00 or better. I’ve seen and heard that a stock one can do it. So I ran 13 runs and the best time I got was a 13.717. I tried plenty of different launch techniques and rpms, but still nothing. I found it very weird that when I launched, there were a few bumps, I hit them, the car slowed down and the launched. I think it was the track, because many people were pulling high numbers and it was a poorly ran track. But does anyone have any pointers. And how much so I warm up the tires before running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
yes that blows for 05-06 goat in cool wheather. i ran 13.3 @105.5 on a hot day.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTheSix View Post
I went to the track on Saturday, it was a very cool day, not humid, just a little windy, perfect weather conditions. I was hoping to run a 13.00 or better. I’ve seen and heard that a stock one can do it. So I ran 13 runs and the best time I got was a 13.717. I tried plenty of different launch techniques and rpms, but still nothing. I found it very weird that when I launched, there were a few bumps, I hit them, the car slowed down and the launched. I think it was the track, because many people were pulling high numbers and it was a poorly ran track. But does anyone have any pointers. And how much so I warm up the tires before running.
You have an LS2, right?
What shift points did you use (you have an M6 I assume)?
What was your highest trap speed?
What do you mean when you hit bumps "the car slowed down"? Did you turn the T/C off?
Did you run stock rear tire pressures? You should try it with about 18PSI.

Last edited by PWR_SHIFT; 09-26-2007 at 02:27 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
You should try it with about 18PSI.
when i ran i ran with 28-25 psi in the rear to get my numbers
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before you worry about the 1/4 mile time, you need to focus more on the 60' time and work from there. If you can get your 60' around 1.9 to 2.1 on street tires then your 1/4 mile times will be closer to where you want them.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZ GOAT View Post
when i ran i ran with 28-25 psi in the rear to get my numbers
+1

Closer to 25 but never under on the street tires for me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
Before you worry about the 1/4 mile time, you need to focus more on the 60' time and work from there. If you can get your 60' around 1.9 to 2.1 on street tires then your 1/4 mile times will be closer to where you want them.
+1 again

Drag racing is a bunch of little races, not just a 1/4 mile thing. Your 60' is your base for the race. It is the most important thing you do. You must get a 2.0 or better or the run is a waste of fuel. Each .1 in the 60' translates to .2 at the big end.

After launch you need to focus on making the perfect shift at the perfect RPM. Keeping the car straight is also extremely important. Minor steering wheel corrections cost you time on the track.

Mostly it's a practice thing. You need to keep practicing. Find guys that run fast and ask them what they are doing. If you see another GTO and it clocks a 13.1 while your clocking 13.6 then you need to talk to that guy.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 PM

I know you drag guys take this sh#t serious to all hell and back but I just don't see it. The closest 1/4 mile strip to me is WAY over to the west in Gulfport, MS (might as well drive to New Orleans, 2.5 hr-3hr drive) all the other tracks around here are 1/8 mile, and I'm just not in to that. I'm from Chicago, where we got Route 66, the Summer Nationals, NHRA at it's best, and I just don't go for the 1/8 tracks. I work with a guy that's got a 1994 (puke body style) Z28 with a pimped out stroker that he can't drive on a daily basis cuz he gets like 10 mpg and always running hot, but God forbid, he Tears ASS at the dragstriop.

Who gives a [email protected]? What I want is highway power. 99.9% of our fights are some dimwitted rice burner or 'Stang (modded or not, cuz all freaking 'Stang owners think they have 14 in. cocks) and I love schooling the Mach 1's and the "home built terminators", etc, etc. Only lost to an 03'-'04 Cobra body style and not sure if he was stock or not... I want grunt, already running close to 3 grand on the tach 80+ mph down a stretch of interstate where you don't have to worry about pigs.

I've had my goat up to 163 a BUNCH of times hauling balls across I-10 across Mobile Bay in the middle of the night on my way to work when there's no one there to see my glory. (go to you tube, I'm the fastest top speed goat there) .....

But I can't tell you how many times I've been beat on stop and go traffic with rice rockits (been up against turbo miatas, turbo civics, and f150 lightnings, and been beat by all). The import short run gain blows an unmodded gto away, and a f150 with a pulley swap will eat your lunch.

My bottom line is, I know from what I put on my car an dyno runs that I'm NOT stock, he he he, BUT, don't go bragging about 1/4 mle and 1/8 mile times in the real world, cuz running down the interstate going highway speeds, and THEY hit it and YOU hit it......with their weight or or short term turbo powerband..... you'll be a humbled sad mother#$%ker... unless your modded and loaded for bear...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
I know you drag guys take this sh#t serious to all hell and back but I just don't see it. The closest 1/4 mile strip to me is WAY over to the west in Gulfport, MS (might as well drive to New Orleans, 2.5 hr-3hr drive) all the other tracks around here are 1/8 mile, and I'm just not in to that. I'm from Chicago, where we got Route 66, the Summer Nationals, NHRA at it's best, and I just don't go for the 1/8 tracks. I work with a guy that's got a 1994 (puke body style) Z28 with a pimped out stroker that he can't drive on a daily basis cuz he gets like 10 mpg and always running hot, but God forbid, he Tears ASS at the dragstriop.

Who gives a [email protected]? What I want is highway power. 99.9% of our fights are some dimwitted rice burner or 'Stang (modded or not, cuz all freaking 'Stang owners think they have 14 in. cocks) and I love schooling the Mach 1's and the "home built terminators", etc, etc. Only lost to an 03'-'04 Cobra body style and not sure if he was stock or not... I want grunt, already running close to 3 grand on the tach 80+ mph down a stretch of interstate where you don't have to worry about pigs.

I've had my goat up to 163 a BUNCH of times hauling balls across I-10 across Mobile Bay in the middle of the night on my way to work when there's no one there to see my glory. (go to you tube, I'm the fastest top speed goat there) .....

But I can't tell you how many times I've been beat on stop and go traffic with rice rockits (been up against turbo miatas, turbo civics, and f150 lightnings, and been beat by all). The import short run gain blows an unmodded gto away, and a f150 with a pulley swap will eat your lunch.

My bottom line is, I know from what I put on my car an dyno runs that I'm NOT stock, he he he, BUT, don't go bragging about 1/4 mle and 1/8 mile times in the real world, cuz running down the interstate going highway speeds, and THEY hit it and YOU hit it......with their weight or or short term turbo powerband..... you'll be a humbled sad mother#$%ker... unless your modded and loaded for bear...
I think your post is really out of line. Where in this thread did you read where someone was taking drag racing too serious? The OP simply shared his experience and asked legitimate questions. How would you feel if someone responded with a post slamming you for the illegal stunts you're pulling on public roads as you put others lives in danger? Now before you come back at me with a response that is inappropriate please think before you type.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post

LOLOL what a highly enlighten view.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in