GTO vs 300ZX - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GTO vs 300ZX

Ok, I have a friend w/ a '94 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. It's got upgraded turbos, some bolt-ons, but a real conservative street tune. A guy I work w/ has an '06 GTO w/ tune, JBA headers and exhaust. The GTO is six-speed, the Z is auto. The two raced on a local highway, thought I'd share the results. 40 roll, the Z gets a 1/2 car or so jump, holds it most the race. They let out at 120ish w/ the GTO 1/2 car ahead. So pretty close race. I'd love to see what the 300 will do w/ the boost turned up......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM

A friend of mine down here has a 94 300ZX. His is a dark red with real low miles, 55-60,000. He's taken care of it. He has a stock turbo with the boost adjusted and has done some bolt-ons, Borla exhaust, CAI and he has had a good dyno tune with his computer being replaced. He's got an upgraded up and down pipe. His is a stick shift too, with an upgraded clutch. As soon as he started making more power the clutch went. He won't disclose the dyno stats so none of us know what kind of power the car really makes.

He gets beat by me, but hangs real nice till we get up above 125-130. There's also a window from about a 40 or 50 roll that he takes me. I can't reel him back in till we get above the century mark.

I love the look of those cars. I remeber the first time I saw one, think it was 1989 that they came out in the bodystyle. It was just an awesome looking car. The thing that really impresses me is, almost 20 years later the design still looks fresh. I like the look of the new 350Z slightly better but man the 300ZX from that era will definately go down as a classic style in my books. It was truely a groundbreaking design.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Man, I totally agree w/ you. Those cars were instant classics when they came out. Looked like nothing else on the road. Had some pretty nice technology to go along w/ them, too. I like the 350 better overall, but not by much.

And regarding your friend's 300, I know a guy here in town that has a 15th Anniversary Edition Supra Turbo. He bought it new back in 1997. Only has like 11,000 miles on it. It's completely stock, down to the tire. Black on tan, auto. He only brings it out on perfect days, and it's in pristine shape. Literally looks like it came right off the showroom floor.

Oh, and since you're a Vette guy- My boss just bought a brand new '07 C6 Z51 Coupe. Atomic Orange over Ebony, 6-sp. Paid $41K for it. Gorgeous car.....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 PM

His Vette stickered for 49,000+ new, so he got an excellent deal. The Atomic Orange is a color you either love or hate, there's no in between. I love it. The dealers are dumping the 07's because the LS3 is the next big thing. I've seen a bunch of dyno numbers now. The first ones were all in the 390 range with one guy getting just over 400. Now the numbers are in the upper 370 range to lower 380. Get an intake, an exhaust and a good dyno tune on the LS2 and your in the low to middle 360 range. I'll save 8 grand plus the 2 grand they raised the price on the 08 then spend 2 grand on mods to put 20 less hp to the ground. That 8 grand goes a long way. The 08's are about a hundred pounds heavier too.

I respect the Supra Turbo, but I just never really liked them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, those new LS3 cars are killer from what I hear. And I agree w/ you the 'loveit/hate it' deal w/ Atomic Orange. I personally like it, but I like Daytona Sunset a lot more. I've kinda been thinking about an older used C6 Vette. They're not too hard to find for $36K-ish nowadays. Pretty tempting....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM

LG made 422rwhp on their '08 Vette with just their LT's and a tune. It was around 390rwhp before the headers and tune.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 PM

very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in