GTO Vs. M5 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GTO Vs. M5

Have had the car for little over a month 2005 with 6,500 miles on it. Me and a good buddy of mine went down to the local street races Saturday night. Only a handful of American cars show up. A lot of civics and other crap like that. Showed up Saturday night around midnight parked next to two 05-06 GT stangs and a 06 Vette. Went to 2 race tracks behind some warehouses, nothing happened. Cops broke everything up before everyone got set up. Slow night...called it a night around 1:30am...driving down 3 lane highway spd limit 50mph I see a Silver M5. Friend said it was an 07, this car looks so nice just crusing. I pull up next to him slow down to pace him at 40mph in a 50 zone. Nothing happens for about a good 1/2 mile. Pull up to a stop light, do the inch game...I move an inch, he moves up an inch and so on. Light turns green we both take off, dead even at take off, go about a city block still neck and neck, 2 blocks dead even, then stop light. Inch game again, I look back and see a RX8 with all the trash on it (body kit, giant spoiler) trying to time the light on me and the M5 so he can get a running start basically. Light turns green mazda speeds by us. He has made it all the way thru the intersection before we get a 1/4 of the way in to the intersection. I plant the pedal to the floor first time ever, Take off like a crazy man who just robbed a bank, side by side is the M5 we are gaining ground on that RX8 like he wasn't moving. We blow by him doing 110mph, once we pass the mazda I see him turn around and go the other way to like his wounds. So its me and the M5 we hit 120mph in a 50, and the M5 is just slowly pulling away from me. It was such a rush....at the next stop like we roll the windows down and start laughing so hard about the RX8. Tell eachother good race and go our own way.....I get home, go online wondering what that M5 has for power. V10 w/ 500hp with a sticker price for $83,000 so I think I gave him a good run for the sticker price of the GTO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM

i kind of expected better reults from the M5 i guess the exra HP does not quite compansate for the lack of torque. congrats on the race.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 AM

That sounds like a rush. Good job. I was a little timid with the accelerator at first too. I hear the M5s are geared a bit differently so that kinda makes sense.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosGTO View Post
i kind of expected better reults from the M5 i guess the exra HP does not quite compansate for the lack of torque. congrats on the race.

Maybe he didn't have the 'M-button' activated. Maybe he wasn't as good a driver. Who knows.....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scg87 View Post
Maybe he didn't have the 'M-button' activated. Maybe he wasn't as good a driver. Who knows.....
I was thinking the same with the M button.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 PM

I want an M button
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

383 ft/lb of torque so that area is where it is lacking....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo.Killer View Post
Yep, I don't know about the american versions but the euro versions with the M button off it is like 400hp and with it pushed it goes into suspension defalts and 500hp and 383tq. with a over 200mph top speed. You can out torque him off the line but if given room he would fly buy you like your were standing still once that V-10 starts rowing.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM

I take it you're stock? If so, he was playing with you or forgot to use his M button.

Was he shifting (lurching) or real fast (SMG)?

We're talking a minimum 6mph differential in trap speeds, totally different league, unfortunately.

'07 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro "commuter"
'09 G37 Coupe Journey
'11 HD Street Glide 103
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
Examiner.com

“My automotive consultant.” - Wayland Joe, 2-time SCCA Runoff Champion, exotic car owner

Last edited by Deuuuce; 10-04-2007 at 02:57 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo.Killer View Post
Yeah but they are geared so nicely that it doesn't really matter. They stiil get 0-60 in the mid 4's with launch control. I'd say this race is evident of the V10 M5 still being in 400 hp mode. Nothing against the LS2 but if it was in the 507 hp "M" mode it would've been devastating especially at 80+ speeds.

Any mods on the GOAT??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in