Had some fun tonite! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had some fun tonite!

At a Willow Springs Grudge racing event. The track is on the front stright of Big Willow about 1000ft. I did about six runs, all were in fun, then I wanted to break the tripple digit trap speeds and break into the 11's. That didn't happen, too much wheel hop and 1st and 2nd gears are worthless. What cause me to feather and let out of the gas. I had less powerful cars giving me a run for my money. The only car I beat was a 350Z that had just as much wheel spin and hop as I did. There was a guy there with a stock 06 GTO running 11.6's. Goes to show just because you have alot of power you have to be able to put it to the ground. Drag bags had about 20psi, and stock tires.

Here are my top three runs.
ET: 12.059 @ 99.31MPH
RT: .913

ET: 12.074 @ 99.16MPH
RT: .958

ET: 12.239 @ 98.16MPH
RT: 1.150

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 05:54 AM

Sounds like a good time. First time I've ever heard someone racing 1000ft before.

SRT-4 Stage 3
[email protected],
Best trap 120.60
Best sixty 1.68
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Garage
No chance of you red lighting.
Sounded like a fun night..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:39 AM

I guess you could call the wheel hop the jitterbug and with your reaction times, here's your song.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Garage
Ferg you aren't right, but that's funny.
When I race I leave on the last yellow, early or late yellow, depending on how hard it's leaving. That will get you down to .2 or so RT. If you are looking at green before you leave, you are way late.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeast View Post
Sounds like a good time. First time I've ever heard someone racing 1000ft before.
It's something they started to keep people from street racing. They got rid of our local LACR 1/4 mile dragstrip about two years ago if not more. It takes place on the front stright of a 2.5 mile road course. So there is not enough room and not set up for a 1/4 mile strip.

That was funny Ferg. I didn't think a guy like you would have Wham in you collection

I never concidered myself a dragracer anyway I like the twisties thats where the fun is. The amount of power I'm putting down it was hard to get a good launch with street tires. My car is not set up for drag racing and I'm not planning on being a dragracer.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Talked to a friend of mine that build drag cars and drive them into the 6's. He told me RT is the least of my worries, its getting to learn how to lauch it is what I need to concentrate on.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
Talked to a friend of mine that build drag cars and drive them into the 6's. He told me RT is the least of my worries, its getting to learn how to lauch it is what I need to concentrate on.
Right, that is what TT is all about. You said you only beat 1 car, when you give up a second at the tree your going to lose many races to slower cars. TT is all about fun and learning your car. But, it's racing, if the guy tree's you, he's got bragging rights, and plenty of people would love to go home talking about the GTO they beat... For the launch, you try to improve your 60' time, 2.1 is decent on street tires. Any sub 2 60' is great, I haven't done it, but depends how fast you are, 13s- less than 2 is great.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
Right, that is what TT is all about. You said you only beat 1 car, when you give up a second at the tree your going to lose many races to slower cars. TT is all about fun and learning your car. But, it's racing, if the guy tree's you, he's got bragging rights, and plenty of people would love to go home talking about the GTO they beat... For the launch, you try to improve your 60' time, 2.1 is decent on street tires. Any sub 2 60' is great, I haven't done it, but depends how fast you are, 13s- less than 2 is great.
It was grudge racing. So yeah its racing the tree/run what you brung, whos penis is bigger. I was just out there to have fun. If it was a true 1/4 mile I would have been running for time, what means the RT don't matter but the short time like 60' would, and trap on the long end. Like I said at this 1000ft track I would trap higher MPH than most of the cars I ran but still get my butt handed to me in trap times. The RT don't matter if I can't put the power down. If I out tree'd the guy he still going to beat me through the trap if I spinning and hoppn'. It sux also because they don't record 60' here too. Its mostly run what you brung.

In theory at the power level I'm at not counting skill, and car setup I should be into the mid to high 11's. That won't happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in