LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
How to drag race

So...
I'm 19, a sophomore at Clemson, and I've had my 04 M6 IBM goat for going on a month now. Not a lot of manual driving experience before then, but I feel totally comfortable driving it out now, smoked a (modded? I think I heard a BOV...) Neon SRT4 outside campus, and now I have a buddy with a Civic Si wanting to drag me. There's an 1/8 mile strip in Greer, SC about 45 minutes away, and he wants me to go there with him on a Thursday evening. He's obviously been there quite a few times, and has been driving this Civic for a while now. He's totally convinced he can take me, and I know the only thing standing in my way is total inexperience. He's also the guy that would never let me live it down or forget it if I didn't win, even if I go back the next week and the week after and walk him from then on...

I'd like to go there once on my own before I take him, but I'd also like to not go alone the first time, seeing as how this would be my first drag event. I'm just looking for some advice on how to have a successful drag day. Here's what I've gotten down:

I know pretty well how staging works- pull up and prestage consecutively, then stage consecutively. 3 lights down the Christmas tree and we're off. I've yet to do a manual burnout... is that necessary?
I can shift reliably, but haven't done a real clutch drop yet. 3500 rpms in 1st and drop the clutch on go? Would you recommend power shifting or do I even need to bother next to a 200 hp fwd car?

Don't be afraid to tell me to wait a little while longer. Optimistically I'd hope to find someone there that would recognize a novice and help me out, but I think to some extent someone rolling up with an LS1 should know what they're doing.

Then again, I know a girl that works at MIR during the summers, knows her way around a drag strip... And I'm man enough to admit to her that I don't know what I'm doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 AM

Drive your car hard on the street before you wreck it at the track. Typically, most insurance companies will not cover accidents at the track.

I also wouldn't launch at 3500 or you will smoke the tires out. 2500 and slip the clutch til you don't spin. It takes practice. 1/8 won't give you much time to make up for a bad launch so he might win.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 AM

yeah if it was a 1/4 mile even with a bad launch you should catch up to a 200 hp 150ftq rice eater.

but like jason said drive it hard on the street and get that launch down. I will add on though you track is going to be aloooot sticker. Im still practicing on my launch. dumping the clutch on are cars with street tires youll burn the tires off in 1st. Slipping clutch in first gear was me best launch. And my best time in the 1/4 was a 14.1 and i know i can hit mid 13s cuz that 14.1 run i bogged 1st and missed 4th.

its all about practice. i had a 2007 focus. that was running 14.3s it took me a good 30 to 40 runs to keep the consistent everytime down. my best time in that car was a 14.289. my focus dynoed at 245hp and 236ftq. so he might have a chance.

all in all its comes to practice. goodluck!!!!

Tony Smith
2006 M6 Torrid Red/Red Interior
Intake and Resonator and Muffler Delete.
!!!COMEING SOON ON WAITING LIST AT SHOP!!!
Ported Intake Mani and Trottle Body and Street Tune

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SixOhGoat View Post
its all about practice. i had a 2007 focus. that was running 14.3s it took me a good 30 to 40 runs to keep the consistent everytime down. my best time in that car was a 14.289. my focus dynoed at 245hp and 236ftq. so he might have a chance.
I traded in my modded 04 SVT Focus for the goat. It took me a JRSC with big boost, cams, cam gears, Ford racing headers, exhaust, FC intake and TB, and a 75 wet shot ti break 270 to the wheels.

IWhat all did you have done to hit those numbers? s the newer 'fukus' motors that much better then the ZETECs?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM

Don't wait til you see the last light on the tree. Go when you see the second to last light. By the time you're moving the last light will be on.

You're probably on street tires. Don't worry about the burnout, but be sure to drive AROUND the water they probably put in front of the burnout area.

Run your front tires a couple psi high, your back a couple psi low.

Remove everything from your car, mats, spare tire, back seat, jack. Goal is a lighter car.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

good advise, also pull up to the fueling station at the track and get some racing fuel.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattirewilly View Post
Don't wait til you see the last light on the tree. Go when you see the second to last light. By the time you're moving the last light will be on.

You're probably on street tires. Don't worry about the burnout, but be sure to drive AROUND the water they probably put in front of the burnout area.

Run your front tires a couple psi high, your back a couple psi low.

Remove everything from your car, mats, spare tire, back seat, jack. Goal is a lighter car.
Thats some ricer stuff right there. Race it like is is made unless it is a track only car.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Garage
If you experience wheel hop (which is inevitable) let off the gas then punch it again. Definitely do not launch at 3500. I wouldn't worry too much about the honda. At the end of the day regardless who wins you drive a GTO and he drives a POS honda.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 AM

If there's no cash in it, skip it. If you win he'll says this or that and still talk smack.

There's always the risk you'll break something or worse, so if this is a car you need just let it be.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I traded in my modded 04 SVT Focus for the goat. It took me a JRSC with big boost, cams, cam gears, Ford racing headers, exhaust, FC intake and TB, and a 75 wet shot ti break 270 to the wheels.

IWhat all did you have done to hit those numbers? s the newer 'fukus' motors that much better then the ZETECs?
o yeah i had the ST model with didnt have the 2.0 in it. i had the 2.3duratec (175hp/171tq) and to explain it loooooved aftermarket parts. i had cosworth header/flex (catless) with 2.5" straight pipe. cossi intake, thottle body. pully. balance shaft delete kit. and dyno tuned. i gained 26/21 from just the tune alone. they people at the dyno shop were amazed with the 2.3 and what it could do.

Tony Smith
2006 M6 Torrid Red/Red Interior
Intake and Resonator and Muffler Delete.
!!!COMEING SOON ON WAITING LIST AT SHOP!!!
Ported Intake Mani and Trottle Body and Street Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in