I suck at life - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suck at life

This being my first stick, I had not had any experience racing or launching it. I have raced at the track with my auto, a lot. So I already knew how the track works.

My first run I dumped the clutch around 2200 and floored it. Wheelhop like whoa, my head was hitting the roof

I let off, punch it again and grab 2nd, hopping and spinning, grab 3rd hopping and spinning and go through the traps. My run was a 3.0 60' and [email protected]

I saw another guy out there with a 05 M6 GTO and was asking him how to launch it and feather the clutch. He told me 2k feathered, did that and got a [email protected] with 2.4 60' spinning into 2nd and 3rd. Then tried 2400 feathered and got a [email protected] with 2.3 60' spinning hard into 2nd and 3rd. Still not spinning when feathered.

I'm going to try 3000 feathered. And I'm going to try burnouts as well. Before also I was hot lapping, but was trying to practice launching, not really et's. Also I was running 87 in it, which retards timing as well. Left the spare and jack in as well.

Next time I go it will have 93, no extra weight, and burnouts with proper cool-down.

One positive though, I nailed every gear, everytime and never missed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat nick
This being my first stick, I had not had any experience racing or launching it. I have raced at the track with my auto, a lot. So I already knew how the track works.

My first run I dumped the clutch around 2200 and floored it. Wheelhop like whoa, my head was hitting the roof

I let off, punch it again and grab 2nd, hopping and spinning, grab 3rd hopping and spinning and go through the traps. My run was a 3.0 60' and [email protected]

I saw another guy out there with a 05 M6 GTO and was asking him how to launch it and feather the clutch. He told me 2k feathered, did that and got a [email protected] with 2.4 60' spinning into 2nd and 3rd. Then tried 2400 feathered and got a [email protected] with 2.3 60' spinning hard into 2nd and 3rd. Still not spinning when feathered.

I'm going to try 3000 feathered. And I'm going to try burnouts as well. Before also I was hot lapping, but was trying to practice launching, not really et's. Also I was running 87 in it, which retards timing as well. Left the spare and jack in as well.

Next time I go it will have 93, no extra weight, and burnouts with proper cool-down.

One positive though, I nailed every gear, everytime and never missed them.
Damn Nick, you arnt supposed to be running 87 in that LS2. That thing has almost 11:1 compression, and running it at the track at that! Your PCM was probably banging your timing all over the place. Also, isnt your car brand new? You probably want to get a thousand miles on that drivetrain before hot lapping at the track. Put some miles on it, get some good premium in it, and until you can learn to launch that 400 horsepower monster keep your T/C on. It will reduce your ET for an experienced driver but for you I think it will actually improve your ET by reducing your wheelspin while you concentrate on planting your right foot and banging the gears. Good Luck!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Damn Nick, you arnt supposed to be running 87 in that LS2. That thing has almost 11:1 compression, and running it at the track at that! Your PCM was probably banging your timing all over the place. Also, isnt your car brand new? You probably want to get a thousand miles on that drivetrain before hot lapping at the track. Put some miles on it, get some good premium in it, and until you can learn to launch that 400 horsepower monster keep your T/C on. It will reduce your ET for an experienced driver but for you I think it will actually improve your ET by reducing your wheelspin while you concentrate on planting your right foot and banging the gears. Good Luck!

you sure no your stuff

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck

I had read in the book that 87 makes it pull timing to keep it from detonating. My car I got used with 12k on it. So it is broken in. I tried with the T/C on, while it's not as restrictive as my Mustang's T/C was, it was annoying none the less. I will come back next time with 13.5 or better, I guarantee it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat nick
I had read in the book that 87 makes it pull timing to keep it from detonating. My car I got used with 12k on it. So it is broken in. I tried with the T/C on, while it's not as restrictive as my Mustang's T/C was, it was annoying none the less. I will come back next time with 13.5 or better, I guarantee it
Oh, ok didnt know you got it used. It is annoying, but I'll bet you were not spinning all over the place. I try to remember to turn mine off when its not raining. You are exactly correct, 87 will detonate and the PCM will retard the timing until the knock sensors stop detecting knock. It is very effective however the net result is a serious reduction in power output. Keep in mind as well that in the US market, typically only the Premium blends at the big name companies have enough detergent to effectively remove deposits from your intake track. If you are running regular you are not likely to be getting enough detergents to keep everything in tip top shape for your HI-PO V8, and worse if you are buying 7-11 or RaceTrack regular. If you want your goat to be at its prime run the premium and get it from a "Top Tier" supplier (Shell is a Top Tier provider, V-Power is the highest detergent gasoline on the market, 5 times more detergent than the EPA standards.) Good luck on that 13.5
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I hadused 87 twice, Shell and BP.

I use shell 93 now, just put it in yesterday, and undid the batt. Whoa is all I have to say
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:18 PM

My car has IRS just like your GTO so I understand about lauching issues with a car with IRS.

This is how I am able to get into 1.93 - 1.98 60' with my car (with street radials), not sure if it will work for you or not.

1. Lower rear tire air pressure to 20-24 psi, start with 24 psi and lower few psi at a time to see if there is any improvements.

2. At the stage lane, avoid the water and do a good burnout to rid of debris. I usually rev the rpm to 5k and dump the clutch at 5k rpm.

3. After staging, raise the rpm to 3k. At launch, feather the clutch while going wide open throttle.

4. Make sure you don't short shift, my rev limiter is set at 6,700 and my power band is good up to 6,500 rpm so I usually shift right at 6,500 rpm, trying to stay in power band as long as i can.

5. Stay full throttle all the way through, by the time I release my gas paddle, I'm usually doing 140+ mph.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Don't worry bro, stick with it and your times will imporove. In my local car club I had one of the best times with only a lid and cut-out on my '99 Camaro SS. I ran a [email protected] with a 2.00 60ft. That was in may at around 80degrees at 2200ft elevation, which translates into a 12.9 or so at sea level on a standard day. I am guessing my GTO will run around 13.4-13.5 stock and 13.1-13.2 with intake and exhaust with the new tires I am getting today.

I would say 1 3500-4000RPM launch will net the best results and use the clutch to control how much power you are putting down, that way you don't bog when you finally do hook up. I wouldn't power shift if I was you, I am able to shift so fast that it doesn't benefit me at all. I shift at around 6400rpm but I haven't seen my dyno graph so that is just SOTP feeling. Good luck, have fun
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm going up this Friday to see what I can get. I will remember all of the following above. thanks, guys.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 PM

please let us know your results when you get back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Racing and Kill Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in